Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: so you think you can garden

Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    Carpenter bees. You have to watch out for those, they can be(e) aggressive.
    They may not all be carpenters, but I do know that there is a nest in an outbuilding that I should take care of. I like this method the best:

Make a lot of noise. Carpenter bees are notoriously sensitive to noise, which may in fact be a sensitivity to vibrations. Set up a soundbox or boombox next to their prospective dwellings to encourage them to leave. This method is both safe and no-hassle.

Lengthy allotment related post under the spoiler tag:

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    wow--that is pretty amazing. pretty positive you wont get bored!

I have an annual coddling moth problem with an apple tree in the yard, I put out pheromone traps every year and that helps a bit. There are still wormy apples and ones that rot prematurely, but if it isn't too bad, I just cut the bad parts out and eat the rest.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    My small backyard garden. I planted geraniums and begonias and 8 tomato and pepper plants. This is my first attempt at a vegetable garden, so we shall see how it works out.

IMG_1717-001 by Kala_M, on Flickr

I have a tiny balcony garden:

AND I STILL GET FUCKING BUGS THE FUCKS

goddamn Chilli Thrips! Get off my plants.

I had some teensy caterpillars eat my rose's leaves down to skeletons. Sawfly larvae or something, I could barely see them.

This stuff seemed to do them in, although it doesn't grow the leaves back. It's supposed to work on thrips too.

funnily enough I just sprayed them with something meant to kill them, annoys me as everything in my "garden" is edible. Last time I buy chilli plants <.<

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I have a big big terrace and I live in Tuscany, which means mild, humid winters, rainy springs, awesome (or rainy) autumns and scorching hot summers with a lot of wind. I've been living here for 7 years and it still looks kinda empty. I love gardening, my grandparents were gardeners and they've passed me their love for plants, but not their skills. I'd love to have a beautiful, lush terrace, but I decided not to use pesticides and I'm not wealthy enough to be able to pay for serious urban gardening equipment, so my plants are sad and full of bugs :P Now I'm trying with garlic, I've been told that bugs really hate garlic.
    I've made a list of the stuff I have:

Sedum spectabile
    Sedum confusum
    Sedum reflexum
    Rosemary
    Osmanto Odoroso
    Physalis Alkekengi
    Muscaro
    Cane Rose
    Sage
    Verbena x hybrida Magelana
    Aeonium
    Sempervivum arachnoideum
    Sempervivum cantabricum
    Nandina domestica
    Hyacinthus
    Chives
    Spearmint
    Hebe variegata
    Rebutia (various)
    Solanum Jasminoides
    Solanum capicastrum
    Solanum nigrum
    Hedera helix hibernica (dying, probably my mother in law drowned it and the hot wind burned the higher branches)
    Aptenia cordifolia
    a bunch of potos
    Hoya carnosa
    Aloe variegata
    Oleander
    Petunia
    Portulaca oleracea (literally everywhere, but it's edible so I think I'll use it for salads)
    Vinca
    Strawberry

Plus some random things that are growing spontaneusly and look nice.

I'm trying to find out which are the species that can survive my terrace. So far I've understood that bushes of any kind will die fast, and wild herbs, cactuses and trees are the happiest. Especially Aptenia, Portulaca and Solanum nigrum really WANT to grow in my vases. I feel like I live in the desert... I envy british gardens very much.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 06-28-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

I'm trying out a Protea, a leucodendron. There are many kinds. I'm told to NEVER fertilize it, and after a while, to stop watering. Perfect! If it works. There are many different kinds. You should do some research to be sure they will work in your climate.

Leucodendron