Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: so you think you can garden

I know it's normal, that it's the way the world works; but I am still amazed and awestruck that I can put something into the dirt and with water and time it will turn into delicious food. I want to be a better gardener so that I'll have fresh produce year-round... something that's totally doable in Austin, TX, but I'm such a beginner.
    I never thought about love when I thought about home

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Roxy, your veg looks like it's going brilliantly! Next year, I'm going to have to spread mine out. Everything is growing over the top of each other!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    That looks great, Stephanie. What's growing up your trellis?

I'd like to plant more flowers. Lots of my neighbors have poppies in spring, and they just look so lovely. Sad thing is they don't last very long. My gardening handbook says I should plant the seeds in September, so I'm going to do that and hopefully next year my garden will look like my neighbor's:
    WANT!

You all have gorgeous gardens.

I was talking to a neighbor and he dropped that he was going to work on his garden this weekend. I thought, garden?? Where? South Beach is a small island with just rows and rows of condos and hotels flanked by beach. No one has an empty plot to garden in. He tells me that it's the local community garden, and he gives me the name and address. Apparently, the community garden has been around since WWII, where soldiers housed on Miami Beach grew their veggies. I run home and tell Ryan, who had lamented not having a garden when we first bought the condo. We both got really excited and signed-up to get a plot. Neither of us know a thing about gardening, so I will coming in here for advice/help . I def. know I want basil, cilantro, parsley, mint, jalapenos, and tomatoes.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    omg you guys---its almost time again (at least for us nothern hemispherers). since last posting in here, we made 2 raised bed gardens. we set them up (each 4x8 feet) in the fall. i didnt smother the grass with newspaper but just with these 2 gardens, filled with topsoil and a bit of compost. today, 5 months later, we turned the soil--and found worms! like worms galore---im dead stoked because worms mean awesomeness and we have heavy clay, im surprise any of them made it into our little raised beds. anyway, we added more top soil and compost today--need to wait until its a bit drier to plant, which i hope is next weekend. started some veg plants inside as well. potential!

anyway, anyone else started? anticipating starting? planning? tell all!

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Winter was not kind to our plants. They had been under snow for SO long. I am dreading going out there and having to properly survey the damage after they had come on so well towards the end of the summer.

I really need to get out there and turn over the soil in the veggie plots ready for planting in April. I had intended to pick up a bag of manure at the beginning of the year for them and then didn't so I hope the soil is still good!

I have plans for a prettier front garden this year. I need to dig up all the beds and start from scratch.

I have 3 plants in little containers in my kitchen window that have been waiting to go outside [one since before Thanksgiving and I can't believe the little thing has made it this long]! We've bought a bunch of seeds, but the general consensus around here is don't plant until Mother's Day. It still seems so far away.

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    i've been doing some research on what my options are living in an apartment. i constantly cut out my dream clippings from southern living magazine, but that will have to wait until we have a yard. for now, i have to find balcony friendly options. i'm loving this website so far. http://lifeonthebalcony.com/

I'm reading about permaculture and keyhole gardens.

It's perfect weather out too, but I was stuck inside with a cold. Maybe tomorrow.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hollerskates View Post
    for now, i have to find balcony friendly options. i'm loving this website so far. http://lifeonthebalcony.com/
    exploring! we had a balcony/patio for years and i did loads of container gardening.i was able to have success with a variety of flowers, tomatoes and even toris beekeeper wilflower mix (although the sunflower tipped over a container). we have a wee bit of patio now in addition to our lawn and i plan to still do some containers because you can be creative and they look cool. also you can move them if they dont! the one big suck about containers, esp. tomatoes in containers, is they need to be watered GALORE! if we took a summer vacation, i was consistently screwed by semi-dead containers usually this was in august after the most brutal of heat though.

i have used this site: http://www.hgtv.com/topics/container...ing/index.html in the past for ideas and hints. i dont know if gog/helen reads this thread, but she had some pretty nice containers in her garden--a nice enviable design.

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    ^nice. i'll have to check out that link. there's an entry in the blog i posted about growing your own privacy screen. comes in handy when you're on a balcony that looks directly into someone else's balcony. interesting.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    I should probably do something about my garden before I'm too scared to go out there.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

[ validated ]
    Lots of pretty photos in this thread!

I ended up biting off more than I chewed last summer. The only real excuse I have is that my favorite time to get out and garden is during the sunset hours (between 6 & 9), which is also the mosquitoes favorite time to drink my blood. And compared to the previous year, which was my first summer of proper vegetable gardening, they were really bad. But I feel like I took a decent amount of knowledge away from the whole experience. One thing I learned and observed is just how incredibly resilient plants can be -They can look like they're on their last legs one week and be thriving the next. And I needlessly killed off some transplants that should’ve been given a chance.

Yeah, wow, it’s time to order seeds. I'll probably scale down / plant smarter. I’m expecting to be busy with other things this summer, and there’s also a community garden and pocket park project I’d like to help out with.
    Last edited by C33; 03-13-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: stupidity.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    I should probably do something about my garden before I'm too scared to go out there.

Make more pies?*

*= those are blackberry bushes, right?
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
    *= those are blackberry bushes, right?
    They are! I got a pretty good crop last year but they didn't get as far as pie as I just scoffed them. I love berries of any kind!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."