Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Grimes

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    There were some sick sounds, it had crazy depth. But the re-structuring of it was just too weird for me :P

Oh, I gotcha. That's fair! I've spent ten+ years picking the guy's brain so it feels like an extension of what he's been doing. I love both versions a lot. Art Angels is an awesome album.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Thanks all! Following you advice I'll give Art Angels more of a chance to sync in.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust-RG View Post
    Oh, I gotcha. That's fair! I've spent ten+ years picking the guy's brain so it feels like an extension of what he's been doing. I love both versions a lot. Art Angels is an awesome album.

Heh... Kill V Maim isn't really my fave anyway, like I said. Still waiting for a damn Venus Fly video with Janelle. Can't believe she went with California for a single, not that I dislike it but not at all one of the best.

ETA: I would like to hear some Mindless Self Indulgence... or whatever he's been doing now that sounds like an extension of this.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 01-26-2017 at 02:06 AM.

I don't think World Princess II gets enough love. It sounds like standing over a cliff with light wind and amazing scenes rolling out before you. It feels majestic and completely original.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I don't think World Princess II gets enough love. It sounds like standing over a cliff with light wind and amazing scenes rolling out before you. It feels majestic and completely original.
    That one is my favorite by far! It features the best of everything. The outro kills me every time. And yeah, I got burnt out on Kill V Maim and I think also Flesh Without Blood. The title track, Pin, Butterfly and Realiti have endured and are my other favorites. The ones I typically skip are the intro, Belly of the Beat, Scream and Easily. Edit: Oh and California; not fond of that one at all.
    Last edited by VampireTampon; 01-26-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Heh... Kill V Maim isn't really my fave anyway, like I said. Still waiting for a damn Venus Fly video with Janelle. Can't believe she went with California for a single, not that I dislike it but not at all one of the best.

ETA: I would like to hear some Mindless Self Indulgence... or whatever he's been doing now that sounds like an extension of this.
    RG and I are giant goons for Mindless Self Indulgence, but I always recommend starting with the album Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy. That said, I imagine some of the stuff off How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence and You'll Rebel to Anything (As Long As It's Not Challenging) are closer to what that remix sounds like.

Venus Fly video is now on Tidal, hopefully elsewhere soon.

I used to enjoy Grimes' OTT sci-fi whimsy, but now it just seems so cynical. You know who were never the good guys in SF? Capitalists.

I'm trying to convince myself that the only reason she's dating Elon Musk is so she can get access to space travel information and use it to start a colony of punk LGBT's and witches on the rings of Saturn. TAKE ME WIDCHU CLAIRE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    TAKE ME WIDCHU CLAIRE!!
    Don't you mean... c?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    I used to enjoy Grimes' OTT sci-fi whimsy, but now it just seems so cynical. You know who were never the good guys in SF? Capitalists.
    Yeah, her persona feels very exaggerated and put-on. I think it started getting pretty bad once she signed with Roc Nation. It's just marketing. Either way, I don't really mind that she's acting nuts. Grimes deserves all the attention and success she can get. It really bothers me that she's insanely talented, but not even close to as big as many other pop girls that get most of their music done for them.

And has anyone heard the two clips she posted? If so, what do they sound like? A continuation of Art Angels? One of her older sounds? Something altogether different?

I can't believe ArtAngels didn't make more of a mainstream impact. 3-4 years between albums is a lot though, in the age of ADHD.

The clips are definitely a continuation. There's an ethereal, loosely trancey dance ballad and a catchier song with drum and bass elements.
    Last edited by Andrew; 06-08-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Anyone else struggling with loving Grimes music but hating the Elon Musk connection?