Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anais Mitchell

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    I'll join in here and say that I think Young Man In America is also one of the best, most dynamic and utterly arresting works to be released this year, and while I absolutely adore Hadestown and The Brightness, YMIA does an excellent job of deepening Anaïs' career and showing a songwriting maturation that I think is just amazing.

I actually had to review YMIA for Glide a month ago, and ended up giving it 4.5/5 Stars. I'd love to hear what you all think: http://www.glidemagazine.com/article...-mitchell.html

While I got to catch up with her in Austin at SXSW, where she played a couple of showcases, I had the pleasure of catching a full band show on Wednesday night here in Berkeley, CA. It also ended up being my birthday night, and I couldn't have picked a better performer to share it with! The show was fantastic-- the band was on and Anaïs sounded great. What was a huge surprise, though, was she played "Shenandoah," which is the song that I connect most to and she knows is my constant request (hard to teach an old dog new tricks...), but then she sang "Happy Birthday" to me, and included herself and Rachel [Ries], since we all had birthdays that month. I can't tell you how much it meant to me.... she really couldn't be sweeter. Pretty much made turning 25 totally worthwhile!

^really wanted to catch that show Wednesday night but couldn't get off work ugh she played Shenendoah?? That's definitely in my top 3 Anais songs! Glad you had a good time, and happy birthday

I've been looking out for her UK tour dates in June and sorry to see her Glasgow and Newcastle dates are clashing with the No Direction Home festival 8-10 June. :-(

Got to say, I still think this album is excellent. My only criticism concerns the last two tracks, both of which are 'enders' and the least engaging in the set, meaning that a highly engaging album gets a little less impressive at the end.

Spent the evening listening to Hymns for the Exiled properly for the first time - especially loving Orion!

Anais Mitchell - Coming Down (Official Video)
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

From today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01hf0d5

Anais is at minute 22. She talks about the writing of the record, how she grew up, her musical influences etc. - really interesting.

ETA: she was also on Radio 6 on Sunday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00sf8f5
    Last edited by Andrew; 05-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Saw Anais at the Lexington last night. She was wonderful of course. She was with a full band so it was great do get a different take on songs she normally plays solo.

Videos!

Cosmic American

Annmarie

The Brightness

Why We Build The Wall (feat. Wallis Bird (check out here solo stuff if you don't know her, she's amazing!))

Round Here (Counting Crows cover) (feat. Rachel Ries and Valery Gore)
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

This is actually Anais adjacent, but oh my god Rachel Ries. The Laural Lake EP is just stunning! But oh my god her cover of Outcast's Elevators (Me and You), it is truly a moment of genius! Find out more on

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    The Laurel Lake EP is one of my favorite things of 2012. Just stunning.

I've been loving her For You Only album. I emailed her my address yesterday so should get an EP soon!

More UK headline dates folks!

1st August Cardiff
    2nd August Bath
    3rd August Oxford
    4th August Winchester (moved from Bath)
    5th August Nottingham

Tickets, details, etc.

Oxford is great for me as it's just up the road.

EDIT:

Gig on 4th August has been moved to Winchester. Hm. Only about an hour drive for me.

Not so great for me- Joan as Policewoman is at Meltdown on Aug 3! Nottingham might work tho...

Quote Originally Posted by nathan murgas View Post
    This is actually Anais adjacent, but oh my god Rachel Ries. The Laural Lake EP is just stunning! But oh my god her cover of Outcast's Elevators (Me and You), it is truly a moment of genius! Find out more on
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
    The Laurel Lake EP is one of my favorite things of 2012. Just stunning.
    Listening now as it dropped through the letter box this morning. A lovely and completely unexpected surprise was that she also sent the Without A Bird album which I didn't have. I thought she had made a mistake so was going to email her and offer to paypal her some more money for it but she had included a note saying it was a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan murgas View Post
    Not so great for me- Joan as Policewoman is at Meltdown on Aug 3! Nottingham might work tho...
    Nottingham is a bit far for me for someone I have seen so many times. I might end up going to one of the Bath gigs depending on what else is one and what various friends want to do. I am trying to avoid London around that time due to the Olympics so gigs elsewhere are looking good!

Enjoy Joan! I've seen her a couple of times and they've been great shows!

EDIT:

You're both right. The EP is amazing!

I've updated my tour dates post with a changed venue.

24 July, Sheffield added to tour.

Full list, tickets, etc.

Wonderful solo show from Anais in Oxford tonight.

Anais Mitchell - Shepherd (Jericho Tavern, Oxford, 03/08/2012)

Anais Mitchell - Tailor (Jericho Tavern, Oxford, 03/08/2012)

Anais Mitchell - 1984 (Jericho Tavern, Oxford, 03/08/2012)

Anais Mitchell - A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Bob Dylan) (Jericho Tavern, Oxford, 03/08/2012)

The Dylan cover was a lovely treat.