Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Murder of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar

Murder of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin

The 911 Tapes have been released with George Zimmerman speaking to the operator. This story is really all over the cable news shows.
    I was just going to copy and paste everything from this messageboard, but I won't get all the pictures so I will link to it so people can read a lot of stories that were compiled and placed there:
    http://williamssisters.yuku.com/topi...n#.T2gziMWvKSo

Here is a clip I found where you can hear the gunshot. I had a youtube video where Zimmerman was on the phone with 911 but they are being deleted rapidly for some reason. The operator tells him not to follow the man EDIT found that video
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Here is a petition going around online.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pros...trayvon-martin
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

It breaks my heart that this young man was screaming for help and no one, not no one, came out to help him. My God. I understand you have to call 911 but when someone is screaming for help..
    I guess with it being dark and all.. people probably did the right thing by staying in. It is just hard to swallow. If one person would have opened their door. Maybe it would have stopped Zimmerman from pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-20-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I can't get over how they have not arrested Zimmerman. An example of bullshit vigilante racist gun culture at its best.

Yeah, it's really an outrage that the Sanford, FL police essentially decided, "Yeah, we're not gonna do shit." Fortunately, the case has finally exploded in the media after bubbling under the last couple of weeks, and the Department of Justice and FBI have picked up on it. That prick Zimmerman better lawyer up if he hasn't already.

Volto, thanks for posting all that stuff, but I don't think this should be in Scandal Sheet; that's generally for celeb gossip. Since this is largely about race, I think it should be in Politics.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I'm moving this into OIT.

This is local news for us and I'm glad it's finally being picked up nationally. It's enraging that Zimmerman has not been arrested. How can you gun down a teenage kid in the street and not be arrested? The 911 call of him screaming for help is terrifying and sad.

There are a shit ton of racist pigs down here. Either Zimmerman has friends in high places, or a bunch of racist fucks at the Sanford PD shrugged it off.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    sanford is fucking horrible place. i applied for a job there after moving from the sinful north and was promptly told "this isn't new york and its fancy medicine". oh. okay. i was out after 1 day.

the dynamic is there is strange. lots of old south + nouveau subdivision florida south. this story coming out of that town isn't shocking.....its pathetic and vile, but sadly, not so shocking.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    "White People, You Will Never Look Suspicious Like Trayvon Martin"

http://globalgrind.com/news/michael-...hotos-pictures

I couldn't have said it any better.

[ validated ]
    This guy was looking for someone to kill.. which is why he followed him (even after being told not to).

He was also a habitual 911 caller and reportedly called 40+ times on New Years Eve.

Poor kid.

Zimmerman's also made 46 calls to 911 about suspicious people in his neighborhood. Many of his calls were about blacks and I believe on one (could be the call made about Trayvon) he refers to blacks by a very derogatory manner.

46 calls! WTF? I know this person.. I mean, I don't know him but I know the personality. I have an uncle who listens to his police scanner something awful, follows police cars and ambulances, has ridden around with cops on night duty (In my county, any tax payer has the right to ride with a cop, of course they have to send a request.. we call it a "Ride-Along" - I am not sure if that is practiced everywhere - I think it is a strange law). It is like he/my uncle has this need to be a cop, have the rush that cops get or whatever. That Seth Rogin movie (Mall Cop??) is pretty much my uncles life story. And of course he has many guns that he is very proud of.

But back to Zimmerman.. like c33 said, the operator told him "We don't need you to follow him." Zimmerman said something about the guy having his hands in his waistband or something.. he was carrying candy and tea from a store. The kid was new to the area. He was probably just slightly lost - those dang apartment/houses are all identical looking.
    It is sickening. We, as a country, have got to do something about the 2nd Amendment. What? I don't really know. Regulate the hell out of it. And if we are already doing that.. then regulate it some more.

We also need to stop acting surprised when the shady/most poverty stricken areas of town (Obviously not Sanford) have a gun store, a liquor store, a bank (and a church) on every corner, and every night we hear about people getting shut down there.

And I didn't know where to place this thread. I wanted to place it here originally but then I thought about how all the other legal/courtroom/murder stuff is in the other forum (and this is very scandalous by definition, I guess).. people go off on me real big for doing less than misplacing a thread.. just sayin. So thanks for moving it to where it should have been without giving me a huge lecture about it. That was kind.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-21-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by c33 View Post
    This guy was looking for someone to kill.. which is why he followed him (even after being told not to).

He was also a habitual 911 caller and reportedly called 40+ times on New Years Eve.

Poor kid.
    i'm not trying to defend Zimmerman's actions of killing Martin but i don't believe the things that a 911 operator tells someone to do are considered directions that must be followed. I believe they are merely suggestions and not legally binding instructions. (which, in this case, had Z followed them, the outcome of this would have been much different.) correct me if i'm wrong.

[]

Fuck you, I'm a wizard! longtime companda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anj View Post
    i'm not trying to defend Zimmerman's actions of killing Martin but i don't believe the things that a 911 operator tells someone to do are considered directions that must be followed. I believe they are merely suggestions and not legally binding instructions. (which, in this case, had Z followed them, the outcome of this would have been much different.) correct me if i'm wrong.
    I don't think the 911 operator's instructions were legally binding either but the existance of the transcript (I can't ever bear to listen to those damn calls) blows an enormous hole in his claim of self defense. If you were in fact, aggressively pursuing someone I'm pretty sure that no longer qualifies as a self defense case.

^aaand that's where the "stand your ground" law comes in

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

explained

Under then-Gov. Jeb Bush, the state in 2005 passed a broad “stand your ground” law, which allows Florida residents to use deadly force against a threat without attempting to back down from the situation. (More stringent self-defense laws state that gun owners have “a duty to retreat” before resorting to killing.) In championing the law, former NRA president and longtime Florida gun lobbyist Marion Hammer said: “Through time, in this country, what I like to call bleeding heart criminal coddlers want you to give a criminal an even break, so that when you’re attacked, you’re supposed to turn around and run, rather than standing your ground and protecting yourself and your family and your property.”

Again, the Sunshine State was the trendsetter: 17 states have since passed “stand your ground” laws, which critics call a “license to kill” or a “shoot first” law. The law has been unpopular with law enforcement officers in Florida, since it makes it much more difficult to charge shooters with a crime and has regularly confounded juries in murder cases; many Orlando-area cops reportedly have given up investigating “self-defense” cases as a result, referring them to the overloaded state attorney’s office for action. A 2010 study by the Tampa Bay Times found that “justifiable homicides” had tripled in the state since the law went into effect.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 03-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.