Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MDNA: Ratings, Rankings, and Reviews

^Gotta say, I find that review pretty damn accurate. They cite the tracks/elements I've been enjoying, but emphasize why the album is problematic as a whole.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    ^ Same boat. Way better than HC but overall mediocre for a Madonna album.
    Thanks for posting it here, Joey.

Funny how they gave "Hard Candy" a higher score, though. But I guess that album does work much better as a whole than this one does. I appreciate that they recognize that the Orbit songs are the stronger ones.

That's probably the most in-line with how I feel review so far. Not a big fan of Pitchfork, but I'll give them this one.

I agree with elements of it, but ultimately I've always felt that Pitchfork were a bit ill-suited to review her material, in my opinion.

The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/ar..._r=1&ref=music

March 26, 2012

Introspection for a Pop Star: Just Remember Her Name
    "Madonna’s new album, 'MDNA,' is a bipolar collection of songs whose familiar poses matter less than the panache of their delivery."

By JON PARELES

Spin:

http://www.spin.com/reviews/madonna-mdna-interscope

Madonna, ‘MDNA’
    "Beneath the fishnets and chiseled arms, Madonna is a 53-year-old divorced mother of four, and despite what you think you saw in her 'Girl Gone Wild' video, this is the most naked she's been in years."

March 24 2012, 4:00 PM ET
    by Caryn Ganz

(7 of 10)

Chicago Tribune:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-album-review

Album review: Madonna, 'MDNA'
    "It’s her best album since 'Ray of Light' in 1998, an album that balanced introspection and pop dazzle in collaboration with U.K. electronic artist William Orbit."

March 24, 2012| Greg Kot | Music critic

3 stars (out of 4)

Boston Globe:

http://articles.boston.com/2012-03-2...dy-guy-ritchie

Madonna sticks to her guns on ‘MDNA’
    "'MDNA’ isn’t a perfect Madonna album, but it greatly surpasses its immediate predecessors when Madonna cracks that hard candy shell and allows us to get at the gooey emotional center."

March 25, 2012|By Sarah Rodman

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Chicago Tribune:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-album-review

Album review: Madonna, 'MDNA'
    "It’s her best album since 'Ray of Light' in 1998, an album that balanced introspection and pop dazzle in collaboration with U.K. electronic artist William Orbit."

March 24, 2012| Greg Kot | Music critic

3 stars (out of 4)

I worked with Greg for a mentorship my senior year of college. He continues to surprise me with the stuff he rates high and low. Everytime I think I can predict what he'll say about it something, he goes the complete opposite.

Sorry, but her best since Ray of Light? I don't think he does much to justify it other than it contains personal elements that aren't prominent in the records following ROL. At least not as obviously personal, that is. I definitely think Music, American Life, and Confessions... all sound like proper Madonna records, as in, an artist attempting to stretch herself creatively and musically. The last two records just have too many songs that sound disposable and rehashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I definitely think Music, American Life, and Confessions... all sound like proper Madonna records, as in, an artist attempting to stretch herself creatively and musically. The last two records just have too many songs that sound disposable and rehashed.
    Perfectly stated. As oft-maligned as American Life may be, I find it vastly superior to the last couple of records in every way.

I'm with you on that, too. I'd take American Life over the past two records any day of the week.

I have to let it sit with me, but my initial impression is that I think this might be her best since Music, so I don't think Greg Kot is too far off. I like all of her albums overall, but if we're criticizing the new album for having patchy moments ... hello, AL had some crap on it.

I definitely don't feel this is a "business as usual" album. There are some moments that might not belong or fit in thematically, but that has always been the case. LAP, gem that it is, has "Love Song" mixed in amidst much better and more personal tracks. MDNA is definitely not at the level of that album, but I don't find it to be such a jarring listen. Strangely, GGW sounds better in the context of the album, while the lead single sounds worse. In fact, I think it's the worst song on the album.

This very much feels like her "divorce album" and is a lot more personal than I expected, especially given the two lead singles. "Personal" does not necessarily equal "good," but she goes for it here, and I think she delivers. It's definitely more personal than hearing her preach the big K. Some of these songs reveal what feel like very real emotional wounds. I also think she's tried things on this record that she hasn't really done before, and it still sounds very much like a Madonna album.

I guess the recent album that most people would point to as an essential Madonna recording would be COAD. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not on board with that. It's expertly made and I really like it, but I'll take messy-but-heartfelt Madonna to designer-dance-music-designed-to-win-back-fans Madonna. That said, it's excellent for what it is, and I understand that a lot of fans will prefer it to this new one.

What's the big K?

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Kabbalah?