Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MDNA: Ratings, Rankings, and Reviews

I've also never been on board with the latter day masterpiece pedestal that people seem to set Confessions on. While I do like it as a whole better than MDNA, that album also has some true crap on it as well, wrapped in cohesive production.

^Yes. "Push" and "I Love New York" being the worst offenders, but I love the latter because it at least has some personality. I think 'Confessions' is definitely the weakest of the post Ray of Light albums, as it shows the first signs of her being artistically detached in my opinion. Still enjoy it more than MDNA, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Kabbalah?
    Bingo.

I would agree that Confessions sounds relatively detached. The hooks are there, and it's wonderfully cohesive and sounds great, so she gets away with it. The only song I truly dislike on it is "I Love New York," which I know some people actually really like. It still doesn't feel like primo, essential Madonna to me, but it's a nice addition to her catalog. It does contain what has wound up one of my all-time favorite Madonna songs, though--"Forbidden Love," which I think is awesome.

I think MDNA sounds very invested. I think people were worried we were going to get a full album of songs like "Revolver" or something, but that clearly did not happen.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    All Music Guide (AllMusic.com):

http://www.allmusic.com/album/mdna-r2406649/review

Madonna: MDNA
    "...All this exertion leads to an excessively lean album: there's not an ounce of fat on MDNA, it's all overly defined muscle, every element working with designated purpose. Such steely precision means there's no warmth on MDNA, not even when Madonna directly confesses emotions she's previously avoided, but the cool calculations here are preferable to the electronic mess of Hard Candy..."

By Stephen Thomas Erlewine

(3.5 stars out of 5)

Like Confessions a lot as a good, disco-y dance record, but I will never get the insane hype that one gets. (I Love New York, which I just accidentally typed in as "I Can't See New York," ouch, is awesome in the same way that Sex and the City 2 is awesome when you're drunk). But man does Push suck. Oh, and I don't think Sorry is any less embarrassing than ILNY.

I never got this overwhelming Push hate. Please do explain. Is it the obvious Like A Prayer/ Every Breath You Take nod in the chorus? The heavy compression? What? I'd take Push over Like It or Not and How High any time.

the last 4 tracks on Confessions bog the whole album down (imo)...
    post28!

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    "Push" is the only song from COADF that I don't care for, and I love everything else (including I Love NY! it's so cheesy!), so there's that.

I can't wrap my head around why so many reviewers and fans seem to believe that the "personal" lyrics on MDNA somehow redeem the fact that they're some of her biggest lyrical missteps ever. The thing that really grosses me out, though, is how disingenuous it sounds. To say that Confessions was a desperate attempt to get her fans back through creating a sleek dance album, and then deny that MDNA so pathetically wants to stir shit by having songs about blowing her ex-husband's brains out seems a bit silly to me. I've said elsewhere on this board that there are a handful of tracks I really like--Gang Bang, in fact, being one of them. But I don't for a second buy that this is some sort of autobiographical, honest divorce album. I think her use of her life is every bit as calculating and manipulative as anything she did on the last two albums. And it reads as really heartless here, for me.

I think the album does a great job of sort of running the gamut of emotions you feel after a really bad breakup. You wanna kill the person. You wanna celebrate all the good you did (I Don't Give A), you realize you made mistakes too (I Fucked Up), You wanna praise your new rebound (Superstar), and then ultimately, acceptance (Falling Free).

To me, it works so well because of the balance of the angry tracks with the more heartfelt ones. I think the autotune could have been used a little more sparingly (especially after hearing her beautiful vocals on Falling Free), but I think this is a solid batch of songs. I guess the ultimate test will be if I'm still listening months down the road.

I find that most of the songs on the album are ear worms, as I wake up most mornings with one of the random songs in my head.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Just poppin' in to say, i've always been a fan of Push. Isaac has always been the dud for me. I usually skip it.

The only song on Confessions that ever rubbed me the wrong way was Like It Or Not, but that eventually grew on me.

Fan of Push here as well, and most of Confessions. I'd listen to Confessions over Hard Candy or even...*gasp* Ray of Light any day. Yeah I said it. As far as Confessions goes, the only song I skip is Isaac as well. As for MDNA, I've said it before and I'll say it again...most of it sounds generic to me and not worthy of her, especially after such a long musical hiatus. I don't really think she's trying to put out good music, just fulfill a contract and make a few bucks.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    The album's grown on me (often, but not always, a fan of Madonna albums) continually over the past few weeks to the point where I'm giving it a listen almost every day. A bit of trance-ish pop, a bit of WTF-bubblegum with an electro edge (if only Police Me had had a Minaj/MIA rap), and some sincere ballads, I think they mesh together well and it's light years away from the IMO generic RnB wallpaper music of Hardcandy. There are a couple of tracks I skip most times, but it is only a couple.

It's not a reinvention of the artist, and I understand fans' impatience for that to happen again, but it's a strong repertoire top-up with more strong songs than most mainstream albums, for sure. There are cheesy lyrics, but this is a Madonna album and that is not unknown. She riffs on Cyndi Lauper in the same way she riffed on Julie Andrews in Deeper and Deeper, for example.

I think she's in a similar place to the Rolling Stones now. Still a massive genre-defining act, maybe not hitting the top of the charts quite as hard as a while ago but powering on doing their thing. It's not a failure that she's apparently not selling like she sold 10/20/30 years ago, it's a triumph that she's still selling making such big records really, and that's what she's about.