Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MDNA: Ratings, Rankings, and Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Shart O'Nay View Post
    I can't wrap my head around why so many reviewers and fans seem to believe that the "personal" lyrics on MDNA somehow redeem the fact that they're some of her biggest lyrical missteps ever. The thing that really grosses me out, though, is how disingenuous it sounds. To say that Confessions was a desperate attempt to get her fans back through creating a sleek dance album, and then deny that MDNA so pathetically wants to stir shit by having songs about blowing her ex-husband's brains out seems a bit silly to me. I've said elsewhere on this board that there are a handful of tracks I really like--Gang Bang, in fact, being one of them. But I don't for a second buy that this is some sort of autobiographical, honest divorce album. I think her use of her life is every bit as calculating and manipulative as anything she did on the last two albums. And it reads as really heartless here, for me.
    ^^THAT!!!! The lyrics on MDNA are awful and no matter how "personal" they may be, it doesn't matter because at least I don't connect with them... their delivery is just so flat. A lot of things feel out of context on MDNA and it's depressingly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    ^^THAT!!!! The lyrics on MDNA are awful and no matter how "personal" they may be, it doesn't matter because at least I don't connect with them... their delivery is just so flat. A lot of things feel out of context on MDNA and it's depressingly bad.
    I don't know, I don't agree. I mean, who hasn't wanted to blow their exes brains out ? I think the album did a good job of conveying all the emotions that go with a really bad breakup. I have no reason to think she isn't being genuine with them. As far as it being calculated, I'm not sure how writing about her divorce is supposed to win her new fans.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I'm the biggest friggin idiot (don't agree, it's bad enough as it is) but I wanted to listen to a few songs on youtube before I purchased it. I haven't purchased it, but my sister was listening to "Spend Your Love On Me" on youtube and I was like.. WHoa.. wait.. the version i heard was different.. then I realized that on the other versions they made her voice sound so high it sounded like helium voice. Now, I have to totally go back and find songs that have not been tweaked.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

^You mean "Love Spent"?

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Volto View Post
    I'm the biggest friggin idiot (don't agree, it's bad enough as it is) but I wanted to listen to a few songs on youtube before I purchased it. I haven't purchased it, but my sister was listening to "Spend Your Love On Me" on youtube and I was like.. WHoa.. wait.. the version i heard was different.. then I realized that on the other versions they made her voice sound so high it sounded like helium voice. Now, I have to totally go back and find songs that have not been tweaked.
    Yeah.. people do that to avoid copyright issues. It's annoying, but I guess it makes sense(?). I was able to find 1 correct version of Love Spent out of like 10 or so. Just wanted to share the song on FB. I would not use YouTube to explore new music. Spotify is where it's at. Hope you enjoy MDNA!

After defining each track in a revamped listing, MDNA is a strong return-to-form album that is undoubtedly Pop. This is rather unlike to Madonna's last outing, 2008's Hard Candy that leans heavily on Urban/R&B numbers. Strong as it is, MDNA would have benefited a lot more if it adhered to a majority producer. The album may be cohesive but the songs would be more unified if say, only one or two producers were doing the job. It actually has more than 4 producers whose works never resembled that of the other.
    more on... http://mymonumentalicons.blogspot.co...view.html#more