Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 2,596 to 2,600 of 2600

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy. The first half kept me up til 2am, but the second unraveled a little. A group of Americans, all close friends and whose kids are close friends, go on a cruise down the coast of Central America. One day, they go ashore for a zip-lining excursion, but their taxi gets in a wreck and in a bizarre series of events, the kids are separated from their moms and all hell breaks loose. It won't get as much attention as Paula Hawkins' new one, but the writing is better than hers (at least in Girl on the Train). Out June 6.
    I've got this in my stack. I loved her kids series, and I want to get to this...

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    It's pretty good, just suspend your "really, that too?" disbelief earlier than you might think you need to.

I'm reading The Contortionist's Handbook by Craig Clevenger. Like most people, I read it because of Palahniuk.
    The good is really good, but I can't see what's the relation with Palahniuk's books. Clevenger talks about drugs, but even Oliver Sacks wrote about drugs.
    Maybe later I'll find some similarities, but so far it's a great book as it is, without Palahniuk publicity.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Theft by Finding - David Sedaris' new book.

It was perfect reading for me right now, just a series of short, entertaining diary entries, spanning the late 70s through 2002. It's 500+ pages, but I read it (quite easily) in perhaps five or six sittings. Totally kept my attention.

His approach to diary keeping is rather brilliant. No feelings, no pontifications even, just observations really, frequently of the absurd variety, but just as often amusing, sad, or even mundane. Collectively they tell quite a story, without ever actually trying to. Makes me want to try it.

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    I'm almost finished with this too! ^ Some of it is laugh-out-loud hilarious, but some of it, as dry as the writing style is, was surprisingly moving. I'm thinking in particular of the home movies scene. I had to go back and read that entry twice because it was so simple and so heartbreaking.