Page 167 of 167 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167
Results 2,491 to 2,497 of 2497

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Blue Nights - Joan Didion (yes, on a kick)

I think I just realized why I was challenged by the book the first time I read it: her extensive elaboration on her losses, her unanswered questions, her experience of advancing age and deteriorating health, her feelings of frailty, her bird-thinness, and medical emergencies are really troubling to me, in equal parts because I admire her and don’t want her to suffer, and also because she articulates these matters with such clarity I can anticipate living them myself. Or imagine my mother’s experiences with aging. It’s very real.

Now that I think about it, this may actually be her best book. It’s a genuine gift to humanity. But it’s a gift of considerable pain. I’m not sure there’s any other book ever written quite like it.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Have you read any other works by her including Slouching Towards Bethlehem?
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

I've read Slouching Towards Bethlehem, The White Album, Miami, Play It As It Lays, Blue Nights, Political Fictions and The Year of Magical Thinking. And I love all of them! Just bought several others and will likely read them soon. How about you?

^ I have Blue Nights on my shelf, never read her before. Is this a good place to start? I love sad shit, that's why I picked it up haha.

I would say start with this essay first, just to get a little grounding in her writer's voice, its rhythyms and patterns and textures and conventions, and then proceed: http://juliaallison.com/goodbye-to-a...y-joan-didion/ (btw the original essay was apparently transcribed for this site and it's got typos and several small errors- that's the transcription, not Joan Didion!)

I might also contemplate reading The Year Of Magical Thinking before Blue Nights, because it was written first, and the two books cover many overlapping experiences. It's also PLENTY sad, so you'll love it too

Thank you! This is perfect. c:

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
    A stunning, devastating book. Celestial and Roy are practically newlyweds when he's incarcerated for a crime he didn't commit, and their relationship is tested, obviously, the longer he's gone. Oh my god, this was so gorgeous and heartbreaking.