Page 175 of 176 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176 LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 2629

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    I read The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz this Summer which is pretty good. It's a mystery in a mystery, so that added some fun to the whole thing. Some of it reminded me very much of an Agatha Christie novel.
    I second this. Also, the Alex Cross books ( Patterson I believe?) are fun but nowhere near being literary fiction. If you want a blockbuster movie experience where you're just in the mood for something fun, those are good.

Question: anyone here familiar with Octavia Butler? I've been hearing of her and am very intrigued. When I'm done with the stack I'm going through, she's next. Where should I start? The Dawn trilogy? Thanks in advance.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Question: anyone here familiar with Octavia Butler? I've been hearing of her and am very intrigued. When I'm done with the stack I'm going through, she's next. Where should I start? The Dawn trilogy? Thanks in advance.
    I love her! one of my favorite writers. the Dawn trilogy is a good start, though Wild Seed (part of a series, but works perfectly as a standalone) might be an easier way in.
    incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm only familiar with the Parable series, which is excellent, and highly recommend it. It's astounding how prescient the series is.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    The new iTunes won't automatically sync your books. There are workarounds and stuff, but be careful if you use iOS as a reader. Do some research before you update. *grumble grumble too early in the a.m. for this shit*

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I'm only familiar with the Parable series, which is excellent, and highly recommend it. It's astounding how prescient the series is.
    Oh god, yes. These books are stunning. Kindred, though, is one of my all-time favorites.

@obsceno pajaro, @just owls, @Sansa Spark Thank you so much! I’m going to go to B&N tomorrow and start to dive in!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

The Sundial, Shirley Jackson

One of Jackson's earlier novels. A rich dysfunctional family becomes convinced the world is going to end and starts doomsday prepping on their vast estate. It's very different in its way from something like We Have Always Lived in the Castle or The Haunting of Hill House. It has more of a blackly comic tone, and the narrative is a bit more fragmented. I didn't like it nearly as much as Castle or Hill House, but there are parts of it that have the classic Shirley Jackson flavor that most people are familiar with. I'm glad I read it; I feel like it's kind of ripe for a good film adaptation that could focus on its strengths as a story.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    Oh god, yes. These books are stunning. Kindred, though, is one of my all-time favorites.
    I just finished Kindred and i REALLY enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I just finished Kindred and i REALLY enjoyed it!
    I've never read anything else like it! It subverts fantasy tropes so elegantly. I definitely need to re-read it.

scrambled eggs by Faberg Rebel Angel's Avatar
    Just finished The Pier Falls by Mark Haddon. A book of stories without a happy end. Loved it! One story, The Boys Who Left Home To Learn Fear, tells of a group of men that goes into the jungle in search of a lost expedition party. They come upon a text in Old Greek, that isn’t explained in the story. Can anyone help? Am getting curious!

φυγή φυγή
    νωθές πέδαιρε κόλον,
    εκποδών έλα

Anyone?
    Last edited by Rebel Angel; 10-30-2017 at 07:00 PM.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Just read The Angel of History by Rabih Alamedd. I randomly picked it up off the shelves at the library. It was a fantastic read. The story is about a man going through a dark night of the soul in a the waiting room of a psychiatric facility. The novel is punctuated by short stories written by the main character, poetry, and interviews that Satan conducts with death and 14 saints that have helped the main character throughout his life. I highly recommend it.

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

A moving and heartwrenching portrait of a 16 year old girl suffering from severe anxiety and OCD. There is definitely a weird mystery/romance subplot in this book that at first I found confusing, but it all tied together so beautifully. I also have no idea how a 40 year old straight dude can write female friendships so accurately, but he managed. The portrayal of anxiety is so well written that I had sympathy anxiety even reading it. The ending of this book is SO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. I didn't think anything could live up to the ending of The Fault in Our Stars, but this came close. Green is one of our best living authors, period..

The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola.

I saw the BBC series season 1 - it was way too cheesy for me, but made me curious for the book it is based upon by Zola.
    The book is wonderful! It tells the story of the evolution of a huge department store in Paris in the middle of the 19th century.
    The descriptions of the mall and departments, all the decorations and special treats for the female customers are fascinating.
    It also depicts the disastrous effects of modern trade business on small retailers and employees in general.
    It gives you a very good insight into various perpectives, motivations and living conditions of that time - and gossip plays also a big part in it.
    With all these themes: it felt very modern to me.
    Although there is some kind of love story build around it, the real focus is on the store and a young woman who tries to stay independent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Angel View Post
    Just finished The Pier Falls by Mark Haddon. A book of stories without a happy end. Loved it! One story, The Boys Who Left Home To Learn Fear, tells of a group of men that goes into the jungle in search of a lost expedition party. They come upon a text in Old Greek, that isn’t explained in the story. Can anyone help? Am getting curious!

φυγή φυγή
    νωθές πέδαιρε κόλον,
    εκποδών έλα

Anyone?
    I just finished this book too but I skimmed most of the second half because the whole book bored the hell out of me! There were one or two stories that kept my attention but on the whole I was so disappointed because I'd read one of his other books and really enjoyed it.

Also I must admit I didn't know what was going on in some of these short stories!

I finally finished The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. It was a lovely, if sad, world to be in. I loved it!