Page 161 of 167 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 2496

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I'm reading the last Neapolitan book next, I think. I've been on a dystopian YA bender that is starting to stress me out. It doesn't take long to go from sort of therapeutic to EXTREME CHAOS ANXIETY BRAIN.

I did listen to Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham a few nights ago...and she talks so fast that the audiobook feels super short. Which is its own kind of stressful.

What I'm saying is I need the depth and intensity of Ferrante to cleanse my palate right about now.

Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice (for the 2nd time)

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice (for the 2nd time)

When I read the first one years and years ago, I thought it was one of her best. It was so engaging and engrossing. Then I read the next bunch and got angrier and angrier. That's probably the arc of anyone who's read Rice .

I just finished The Goldfinch. I liked it better than Tartt's second, but not as much as her first. It was way too long, especially the beginning and the end. Took forever to get to its points. It's not like the middle went lightning fast, but at least stuff happened and it wasn't philosophical or meandering as much for dozens upon dozens of pages. I'm glad I read it, but it's not on my re-read list.

Finished J.K. Rowling's The Cuckoo's Calling this morning, a mystery novel written under the pen name of Robert Galbraith.

I liked it well enough. The detective character is interesting, and there are certain passages and set pieces, especially in the back half, that contain a lot of emotional insight/plain good writing.

That said, it could have done with some editing. I felt like it was almost 100+ pages longer than it needed to be, mostly because it didn't really pick up a sense of urgency until the back half. The writing also kind of goes in and out (again, this is an editing thing). I think my least favorite part was the detective's relationship with his erstwhile assistant. Actually, scratch that. I think my least favorite part was the erstwhile assistant. LOL. I want to read the second book but I know that she's a major character again so I'm reluctant.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I just finished The Goldfinch. I liked it better than Tartt's second, but not as much as her first. It was way too long, especially the beginning and the end. Took forever to get to its points. It's not like the middle went lightning fast, but at least stuff happened and it wasn't philosophical or meandering as much for dozens upon dozens of pages. I'm glad I read it, but it's not on my re-read list.
    I need to read The Goldfinch again. I blew through it so fast when I read it. I love both The Secret History and The Little Friend. I think The Little Friend suffered from bad promotion and marketing. Everyone made it out like it was going to be this mystery about what happened to the brother who disappeared, and the only function the incident has in the story is context. It's not about that at all.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    It's not about that at all.
    No, but she needs some serious editing. I don't need ten pages to tell me what can be said in one tight page. It's real-time train of thought stuff, but that's the fluff that you trim down for coherence. I liked TLF better the second time I read it, but still not a whole lot.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Re-reading "It" for the zillionth time, because the new movie will soon be upon us...
    never gets old.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I just finished The Lover by Marguerite Duras, and pardon me but it left me a little cold, apart from a few stunning passages.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Thanks to this thread I've been on a Shirley Jackson kick. I don't know how I've never been exposed to her before. I am so into her writing. I started with We Have Always Lived in the Castle, which was absolutely brilliant. It honestly blew me away with how great she is able to conjure up creepy atmosphere. I then read The Lottery and Other Stories. It amazes me that she can convey so much in so few pages! And now I've started The Haunting of Hill House. I'm hooked.

Yesssssss Castle and Hill House both knocked me over. Hill House in particular.

Shirley Jackson is amazing.

I'm finishing Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue today. I wish I'd read it before I read Crimson Petal because the comparisons are inevitable and not entirely favorable, though I do like the Donoghue a lot.

11/22/63

Top form Stephen King. Moving, scary, thrilling, beautiful novel. Just started the Hulu series and... Man. King's descriptions were so rich and specific. I can tell the series has made a lot of creative changes. Not sure how I feel about it.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    Thanks to this thread I've been on a Shirley Jackson kick. I don't know how I've never been exposed to her before. I am so into her writing. I started with We Have Always Lived in the Castle, which was absolutely brilliant. It honestly blew me away with how great she is able to conjure up creepy atmosphere. I then read The Lottery and Other Stories. It amazes me that she can convey so much in so few pages! And now I've started The Haunting of Hill House. I'm hooked.
    I feel like I only ever come in here to sing the praises of Shirley Jackson. I love her SO much. She was brilliant at building that creepy, atmospheric dread I so love in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    I'm finishing Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue today. I wish I'd read it before I read Crimson Petal because the comparisons are inevitable and not entirely favorable, though I do like the Donoghue a lot.
    I actually preferred Slammerkin to Crimson Petal, in the end. Michel Faber's prose and characters are fantastic but his structure frustrated me. He would spend pages and pages on mostly irrelevant subplots and then gloss over important stuff that happened to the main character. Slammerkin was just more tightly constructed and ultimately left a bigger impression on me.

I can see that, for sure. When I read Crimson Petal, it was *exactly* what I was in the mood for, so it stuck with me as an all-time favorite.

What a sad thread. This is like watching robots being fed a regular diet of critic approved and commercialized fiction. Have you lot ever read a novel that wasn't on a bestseller list or lauded by critics and won some speshul prize? Have you ever read a novel just because it sounded interesting to you? Have you ever read an original piece of fiction in your life? Try it sometimes, and you might see what it feels like to be a real reader.