Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175
Results 2,611 to 2,619 of 2619

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    I read The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz this Summer which is pretty good. It's a mystery in a mystery, so that added some fun to the whole thing. Some of it reminded me very much of an Agatha Christie novel.
    I second this. Also, the Alex Cross books ( Patterson I believe?) are fun but nowhere near being literary fiction. If you want a blockbuster movie experience where you're just in the mood for something fun, those are good.

Question: anyone here familiar with Octavia Butler? I've been hearing of her and am very intrigued. When I'm done with the stack I'm going through, she's next. Where should I start? The Dawn trilogy? Thanks in advance.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Question: anyone here familiar with Octavia Butler? I've been hearing of her and am very intrigued. When I'm done with the stack I'm going through, she's next. Where should I start? The Dawn trilogy? Thanks in advance.
    I love her! one of my favorite writers. the Dawn trilogy is a good start, though Wild Seed (part of a series, but works perfectly as a standalone) might be an easier way in.
    incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal

looking for a little hope just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm only familiar with the Parable series, which is excellent, and highly recommend it. It's astounding how prescient the series is.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    The new iTunes won't automatically sync your books. There are workarounds and stuff, but be careful if you use iOS as a reader. Do some research before you update. *grumble grumble too early in the a.m. for this shit*

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I'm only familiar with the Parable series, which is excellent, and highly recommend it. It's astounding how prescient the series is.
    Oh god, yes. These books are stunning. Kindred, though, is one of my all-time favorites.

@obsceno pajaro, @just owls, @Sansa Spark Thank you so much! I’m going to go to B&N tomorrow and start to dive in!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

The Sundial, Shirley Jackson

One of Jackson's earlier novels. A rich dysfunctional family becomes convinced the world is going to end and starts doomsday prepping on their vast estate. It's very different in its way from something like We Have Always Lived in the Castle or The Haunting of Hill House. It has more of a blackly comic tone, and the narrative is a bit more fragmented. I didn't like it nearly as much as Castle or Hill House, but there are parts of it that have the classic Shirley Jackson flavor that most people are familiar with. I'm glad I read it; I feel like it's kind of ripe for a good film adaptation that could focus on its strengths as a story.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    Oh god, yes. These books are stunning. Kindred, though, is one of my all-time favorites.
    I just finished Kindred and i REALLY enjoyed it!

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I just finished Kindred and i REALLY enjoyed it!
    I've never read anything else like it! It subverts fantasy tropes so elegantly. I definitely need to re-read it.