Page 167 of 168 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2517

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Blue Nights - Joan Didion (yes, on a kick)

I think I just realized why I was challenged by the book the first time I read it: her extensive elaboration on her losses, her unanswered questions, her experience of advancing age and deteriorating health, her feelings of frailty, her bird-thinness, and medical emergencies are really troubling to me, in equal parts because I admire her and don’t want her to suffer, and also because she articulates these matters with such clarity I can anticipate living them myself. Or imagine my mother’s experiences with aging. It’s very real.

Now that I think about it, this may actually be her best book. It’s a genuine gift to humanity. But it’s a gift of considerable pain. I’m not sure there’s any other book ever written quite like it.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Have you read any other works by her including Slouching Towards Bethlehem?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I've read Slouching Towards Bethlehem, The White Album, Miami, Play It As It Lays, Blue Nights, Political Fictions and The Year of Magical Thinking. And I love all of them! Just bought several others and will likely read them soon. How about you?

^ I have Blue Nights on my shelf, never read her before. Is this a good place to start? I love sad shit, that's why I picked it up haha.

I would say start with this essay first, just to get a little grounding in her writer's voice, its rhythyms and patterns and textures and conventions, and then proceed: http://juliaallison.com/goodbye-to-a...y-joan-didion/ (btw the original essay was apparently transcribed for this site and it's got typos and several small errors- that's the transcription, not Joan Didion!)

I might also contemplate reading The Year Of Magical Thinking before Blue Nights, because it was written first, and the two books cover many overlapping experiences. It's also PLENTY sad, so you'll love it too

Thank you! This is perfect. c:

unlikable female protagonist Sansa Spark's Avatar
    An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
    A stunning, devastating book. Celestial and Roy are practically newlyweds when he's incarcerated for a crime he didn't commit, and their relationship is tested, obviously, the longer he's gone. Oh my god, this was so gorgeous and heartbreaking.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I have been devouring the Throne of Glass series by Sarah Maas. It's got some of the best elements of Game of Thrones (expansive world building, fun foreshadowing, woven in magic) and pairs it with a flawed and compelling female lead. The best part is that unlike Martin, Maas is actually finishing up the series on time in October: you wouldn't have to wait long for the ending.

Throne of Glass Book 1

2018-05-25_1613.png

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I read the two Kingkiller Chronicles and their short stories by Patrick Rothfuss not too long ago. I liked it, but I didn't quite love them. A little too wordy and Kvothe is a little too perfect for me to like him, even taking into account unreliable narrator. I do wish I hadn't started them because I didn't realize the series wasn't finished and while I pine away waiting for ASOIAF to be finished, I don't want to add more to the "maybe some day the next one will come" pile. I know a lot of writers shit on JK Rowling, but she didn't leave people hanging for years on end for the next book.

Another reliable writer that I hadn't read before is Rick Riordan. I know it's young adult stuff, but it's super fun. I flew through the five Percy Jackson and the Olympians and am slowly working my way through the other series.

Stephen King had a short story, Laurie, available for free on his website a couple weeks ago. It's probably still there. Short and King-y. B+.

unlikable female protagonist Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I finished Her Body and Other Parties and I wasn’t as blown away as I wanted to be, but I did like it.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I've read Slouching Towards Bethlehem, The White Album, Miami, Play It As It Lays, Blue Nights, Political Fictions and The Year of Magical Thinking. And I love all of them! Just bought several others and will likely read them soon. How about you?
    I have not read Blue Nights. I think The Year of Magical Thinking is as far as I want to go with that subject matter for a time. I do love the fact, and I didn't know this until the NEtflix docu, that you're getting this extremely beautiful work on mourning and grieving from a non-believer. It's a perspective that .. yea. Interesting.

West Then South might be a book I use some of my audible credits on.
    But Slouching Towards Bethlehem is my favorite of hers.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Thinking about using up some of my audible credits on Crazy Rich Asians only because of the film that comes out this year.
    Not sure. Reviews are good, tho. And I like book series.

Why aren't there any Harry Potter/Twilight/HungerGames/DragonTattoo type series? Feels like it's been forever since we've had that "everyone is reading" this book phenomenon.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

^ Gillian Flynn is releasing a new book next year. Lol. That’s SURE to be one everyone will be reading. Can’t wait.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

The Sense Of An Ending and it was very good indeed. 3/5
    I'm gonna heal myself from your religion.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Tin Man by Sarah Winman. Such a beautiful, moving novel. I think it would make an amazing film that would appeal to those who loved Call Me By Your Name.