Page 118 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2518

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post

Does anyone know if the third book coming out this year picks up where Oryx and Crake left off?
    From what I've read, the third one picks up right where the second left off.

I normally read books and forget everything afterwards, but I still can remember bits and pieces of Oryx and Crake three years later. The imagery is disturbing and desolate, and yes Banjee, fuel for anxiety! It's not one of my favorites (not a fan of dystopian novels), but Atwood is a phenomenal writer.

I finished the 3rd book in the Harry Potter series (Prisoner of Azkaban) early this week. I always look forward to the new crop of characters that enter Hogwarts, and this one did not disappoint (team Crookshanks!). I have yet to watch the movies and ignored the coverage as they were being released. My sibling reminded me the other day that Gary Oldman plays Sirius Black. Woah.

Icon15

The third book was when the series really kicked it up a notch for me! I have a fangirl crush on Lupin.

Stick with the 4th throughout -- when I first read it, I thought it dragged, but I had a newfound appreciation for it when I reread it last year!
    ... here i am!

I re-read the whole Harry Potter series about two years ago now, and I remember having a newfound or increased appreciation for Books 5 and 6, especially 6.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I just finished Bob Smith's Remembrance of Things I Forgot and I absolutely LOVED it. (I checked it out of the library at 1:12 PM yesterday and finished it at 1:11 PM today. I could not put it down.)

A gay man, John, who is somewhat unhappy with his life, is about to break up with his boyfriend, who just put the finishing touches on the time machine he's invented. John gets to go to his past and try to make some changes to his life and the world.

It was such a fun read. There was a nice blend of absurdity and solemnity, interesting observations on youth and aging, relationships and politics. It thought that the characters were fun, the writing was brisk, the stakes were high and there was really touching emotional throughline. Just really well executed.

I am a big fan of his other works (Openly Bob, Way To Go Smith and Selfish & Perverse) and this seems to have topped them all.

I have that on my to-read list.
    This other Dutch forum I visit has a lot of fans in their book-thread so I've been meaning to get my hands on it, but their clique-ish Murakami worship that goes on over there always felt a bit off-putting to me for some reason.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

I don't even know what to say. I'm not even sure I understand what the fuck happened. But god, what an astonishingly haunting, creepy and spectacular work it is. There was one scene (I'm sure those of you who read it know what I am referring to!) that was by far the most horrifying thing I have ever read. I almost quit after that. I'm glad I stuck with it, though, and I am glad that was as bad as it got. I am still formulating my theories.
    A good friend of mine highly recommended to me, it's still on my to-read list.
    Looks really interesting

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

A memoir by a journalist at the New York Post (don't let that deter you!) who basically lost her mind temporarily due to a little understood autoimmune disease called anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis. I was riveted.
    Last edited by Churumbela; 05-08-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.
    This is a children's book, but in the same way Pixar movies are kid's movies. I found it utterly charming (I think more so than the 4 yo I was reading it to). The narration is wonderful, and I totally believed that it might actually be the way a gorilla would think: there's lots of stream of consciousness. It's interspersed periodically with pictures that add to the charm. I would highly recommend this whether you happen to be reading to a 4 yo or not. The ending was perfect in a way that made me gasp/sob/smile all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

This is a children's book, but in the same way Pixar movies are kid's movies. I found it utterly charming (I think more so than the 4 yo I was reading it to). The narration is wonderful, and I totally believed that it might actually be the way a gorilla would think: there's lots of stream of consciousness. It's interspersed periodically with pictures that add to the charm. I would highly recommend this whether you happen to be reading to a 4 yo or not. The ending was perfect in a way that made me gasp/sob/smile all at the same time.
    My partner read this to me. Fantastic!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Dead Ever After
    Last Sookie Stackhouse book/Southern Vampire series.
    Just finished Dead Ever After.

I thought it was actually a lot better than the last three or so Sookie Stackhouse Novels. A large part of my feeling this way is that it had very little to deal with the Fae. It had very little to do with Vampires, too, so don't think that is the only reason.
    I like how all the characters came together mid-way through the book. Amelia, Mr. C., Diantha, Sam, Bill, Pam, Tara, Jason, Michele. They got a pretty good send off.
    And, of course, I wont spoil it, but I always knew which guy she'd end up with.. sorta.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    Just finished Carrie by Stephen King over the weekend! Holy WOW! Can't believe I had never read it before. Very fascinating, and the structure is very interesting. But,perhaps my favorite part is those of Baby Carrie.
    I just finished this! As a long time fan of the movie, I was surprised at how different to book is. I heard the remake coming out soon is supposed to be much closer to the book. Anyway, I liked it a lot, especially the way he was able to get inside Carrie's head, since she is kind of a mystery in the movie.

I'm currently reading a very good novel by Xianyong Bai, titled Crystal Boys. It's about a group of teenage male prostitutes in Taipei. Very well written and strong book. The cover for the english translation is atrociously alluring and skanky, especially since most of the boys in the book are thin like death and diseased, but it's actually a very literate novel.

Last edited by Homogenik; 05-17-2013 at 02:48 AM.

John Le Carre got on my radar after reading some Best Of lists. I never thought that a spy novel would be my kind of thing-- too pulpy, too lowbrow-- but, I couldn't have been more wrong. I picked up The Spy That Came In from the Cold and it's changed the way I approach this genre. The novel deals with spies and espionage during the Cold War. Heart-stopping action, intriguing plot twists and an interesting exploration of Cold War history make this a stellar read. I was completely engaged in the story, gasping aloud and screaming "Look behind you!!" I full recommend anyone looking for some heart-pounding thriller. Now I've picked up Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy, and I can already tell that it's just as good as The Spy That Came In from the Cold

Mario, those John Le Carre novels are the opposite of lowbrow! He really understood the way those agencies work, and how seedy their spies were.