Page 122 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2497

Thread: What's the last book you read?

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    ^
    Ooooh, I wish I had an ARC for either of those! I'm excited for both.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    ^
    Ooooh, I wish I had an ARC for either of those! I'm excited for both.
    I know copies are floating around because peeps on GoodReads are reviewing them and I am FOAMING. WITH. JEALOUSY.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    ^
    Oh, I know! A woman whose reviews I follow on GoodReads posted a picture of her ARC of The Goldfinch. DAMN HER.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

I can't wait for The Goldfinch too
    And imagine , I have to wait for the french translation , it's pure torture

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    At the moment I'm midway through the second book of George R. R. Martin's "A Song Of Ice and Fire" series, which is on Google Books, and quite an easy read in that form. I also have the second installation of Stephen Fry's autobiographies, "The Fry Chronicles", which I started as my beach read and so far it's an interesting followup to "Moab Is My Washpot".

And now I've just added Julian Gough's "CRASH! How I Lost A Hundred Billion And Found True Love", which is another of his Jude novels, this time a shorter novella satirising the banking crises in Ireland. The two previous Jude novels were brilliant works of satire. He really knows how to translate economic crises and political corruption into clever comedic satire, and I really do recommend his work.

I'm halfway through Dune and FINALLY got an electronic copy of Life After Life from the library. Now I have 21 days to finish both novels :/ #bookwormproblems.
    Last edited by Banjee; 07-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Finished my annual crime thriller by Karin Slaughter (I don't know how to quit you!) and about 60 pages into Game of Thrones. I also have reading to do for a class I'm taking next week (creative nonfiction) but I'm switching back and forth easily since the styles are so different.
    ... here i am!

Icon15

You're about 20ish pages away from where I fell in love* with the entire series.

*love, the things I do for it

Icon15

!

It was a brilliant move to use that moment as the last scene for the premiere episode - because that's when I thought to myself, "Well, I guess I'll be watching this show for the next thirty straight hours."

I really, really like this writing. I'm not one for high fantasy, especially with effing dragons - my ex once tried to get me into this series of hers she loved and I didn't get through four chapters, and I've started and abandoned Lord of the Rings about seven times - but this is so immersive, finely detailed, compelling. It's a time commitment for sure, but I can alternate with other books and I figure I have a year until the next season is out on HBO and that'll be my deadline.
    ... here i am!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    "The things I do for love" was what sealed it for me in the show too. I was so overwhelmed by all the characters and I just wasn't in the mood for some BORING game of thrones, but when that happened, I was like "Damn, this is going to be way different, isn't it?" That was kind of like what happened when I first read Harry Potter. Precocious kids, solving magical problems, entertaining but nothing new to see here... wait, what's that? Who is in the final room? Wait, what? Didn't see that coming, but looking back you see all the pieces. I love having my expectations subverted, when my own genre-savvy-ness is turned against me.

Unlike, however, the Twilight series. I am still trudging through it. I hate it more every day. I'm not even enjoying it in an MST3K way. I'm just hate reading at this point, shocked that people actually like this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Unlike, however, the Twilight series. I am still trudging through it. I hate it more every day. I'm not even enjoying it in an MST3K way. I'm just hate reading at this point, shocked that people actually like this crap.
    I love the first three books hard...I actually think Storm of Swords might be my favorite!...but Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons are just fucking shitty. I'm not even excited for the new books anymore after Dragons's 800 pages of boring nonsense and character assassination. Here's hoping Weiss and Benioff have the wherewithal to recognize the shittiness and pull the few good things out of them for the show.

The one thing I did like in Dance with Dragons as an IDEA but could have been handled a lotttttttttt better:

I hate Twilight, not ASOIAF.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    I finished Stardust and Duckpond in two days, both bought on a whim, and now I've added American Gods, Neverwhere, and Anansi Boys to my collection. Sigh. Reading American Gods now.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I hate Twilight, not ASOIAF.
    OH, sorry, I thought you were talking about trudging through the last two Ice and Fire books and comparing said trudging to how you once trudged through Twilight. Misread! (I made myself finish the first Twilight and then read recaps of the rest of the books. I just couldn't do it).

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    OH, sorry, I thought you were talking about trudging through the last two Ice and Fire books and comparing said trudging to how you once trudged through Twilight. Misread! (I made myself finish the first Twilight and then read recaps of the rest of the books. I just couldn't do it).
    I don't love the last two ASOIAF books, but B4 was better on reread. B5 is pissing me off to no end on reread (doing that and Twilight at the same time. Gotta pick something less frustrating when I finish one of them.)