Page 122 of 174 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2599

Thread: What's the last book you read?

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I finished The Round House. The ending was just.. different. The story was so focused and I am surprised things just kind of ended so rapidly.
    I guess the issue is that everything was tied up with a chapter to go. Everything you wanted to know, everything that needed to be completed was... and the actual ending just left me like... wha?
    This beautiful story/mystery and that's how it ends. ok.

I will look into Love Medicine!
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

Just finished Darks Places , I liked most of it but I had higher expectation about this book (especially after reading the beginning). I still can't wait to read Gone Girl

Icon15

Finished This Is How You Lose Her yesterday. It was my first time reading Junot Diaz, and I took to his voice and style immediately. The book was shorter than I was expecting (only around 200 pages), but it wasn't insubstantial -- each story was so immersive and fully-realized. In fact, his "Otravida, Otravez" was SO well done that I forgot I was reading a male author writing in a woman's voice (it's usually difficult for me to do that unless it's really well handled). I guess I'll now be requesting Oscar Wao from the library too!!

In the Woods and Kate Atkinson's Life After Life are next on my reading list!
    Last edited by tully; 04-04-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    ... here i am!

Oscar Wao is fantastic! I still need to get a hold of his new one.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Oscar Wao is AMAZING. I juuust got my hands on This is How You Lose Her and I can't wait to read it, but before that I have to finish The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and The Secret History since they're both e-loans on my Kindle.

Adding to the Oscar Wao love. Oscar's voice is so unique, the first Dominican narrator that comes to my mind in recent fiction. I love the manner in which his upbringing in the NY is still mixing and forming with the rich history of his family's history.
    I recently put down (my 3rd attempt to finish it!) The Wind-up Bird Chronicle after a scene that really disturbed me. I love this book but i always freeze up when it gets to Lt. Mamiya's background. I've read other books by Miyazaki and loved them but something about the extreme violence in his backstory really puts me off.
    Has anyone read The Stones of Summer by Dow Mossman? I'm trying to get that one off the ground but it's not an easy read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    ...e-loans on my Kindle.
    Is that from another person or from the library? Has that worked well?

I haven't done it yet, though I should.

The library. And yes, its great! I read so much now its crazy. I suck at returning library books so this is a great solve for me, though I still prefer physical books for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenglass View Post
    I recently put down (my 3rd attempt to finish it!) The Wind-up Bird Chronicle after a scene that really disturbed me. I love this book but i always freeze up when it gets to Lt. Mamiya's background. I've read other books by Miyazaki and loved them but something about the extreme violence in his backstory really puts me off.
    I stopped reading it in that same scene. I just couldn't and I know I'm missing something amazing from other folks' reviews. The same thing with Blood Meridian-- the novel was actually making me nauseous.

It's strange because i can handle violence most times but something about the way in which it was handled bothers me. It's like Miyazaki does a nice job of capturing how painfully slow and torturous it is, but the reader isn't really invested enough in the character to even want to go through it with him. I think this is the only book i've ever put away from anything other than boredom.

Icon15

The library. And yes, its great! I read so much now its crazy. I suck at returning library books so this is a great solve for me, though I still prefer physical books for sure.
    I second this emotion! It's so convenient and easy -- and usually the wait isn't as long for physical books.
    ... here i am!

I've rented audiobooks from our local library as well. I've had to wait a long time, though, as sometimes I'll get put into a cue. But it's worth it for some of the more expensive audiobooks that run close to $40.

Icon15

Have you been able to download audiobooks on your iPod JP? The selection isn't as wide as the physical audiobooks but there's the convenience factor again!
    ... here i am!

this tornado loves you UnderTheFunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Félix J. Palma: The Map of Time. The book has three interconnected stories in which H.G. Wells (yes, the science fiction author) has to save lives and literary classics.
    Oh, man. This sounds right up my alley. Looks like it's a long one, but I'll find a way to squeeze it in to my to-read list!

Just finished Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America's Kings of Beer. I kept putting it down to read other things, because sometimes it read like a 6th-grade book report or a sports play-by-play. The juicy bits about the Busch family drama and sell-off to InBev were good though. Also, there's a lot of local history in there for me, which helped hold my interest.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon.

I have to admit it took me a while to get into for some reason, but holy crap I loved this book. Just brilliant writing and so moving in a very quiet, sophisticated way. Highly recommended.