Page 123 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2619

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Totally loving all of the library ebook/audiobook love in here. Those collections are wildly popular at my library system.

I also loved The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which I finished earlier this year. It wasn't a quick read for me, but such a satisfying one.

I just finished Ella Minnow Pea which was fun and quick.

The island nation of Nollop is cerebral and literate, and reveres Nevin Nollop, the author of the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

When one of the letters falls from Nevin's statue, the authorities ban the use of the letter, under threat of punishment and banishment. Life for the inhabitants of Nollop changes drastically as further letters fall off the statue and out of the book.

As I said, a fun, quick read - in the same family as, but much smoother than Doug Nufer's Never Again and George Perec's A Void.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    That sounds interesting! The thing that amazed me about A Void is that it had to be translated and still not have "e" in it.

I finished Soulless today. Such fun! I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of the series.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

It (Ella Minnow Pea, the name of the main character, and itself an alphabet joke) was very interesting, and it is one of the "experimental" books that I feel I can recommend.

Yes! A Void kind of blew my mind, and if I understood French, I'm sure it would have blown mon esprit in duex langurs.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenglass View Post
    Adding to the Oscar Wao love. Oscar's voice is so unique, the first Dominican narrator that comes to my mind in recent fiction. I love the manner in which his upbringing in the NY is still mixing and forming with the rich history of his family's history.
    I recently put down (my 3rd attempt to finish it!) The Wind-up Bird Chronicle after a scene that really disturbed me. I love this book but i always freeze up when it gets to Lt. Mamiya's background. I've read other books by Miyazaki and loved them but something about the extreme violence in his backstory really puts me off.
    Has anyone read The Stones of Summer by Dow Mossman? I'm trying to get that one off the ground but it's not an easy read.
    That saddens me, though I do remember how hard it was for me to keep pushing through. I remember I actually had to do something like read one chapter a day, but it ended up being my favourite book for a long time. I'm really glad I did. I should read it again but I don't have my copy with me. I think it's easily the one that moved me the most by him. To read this in Japanese is one of my life goals. (Side note, I'm really glad I got to read the Spanish version which has a chapter that's missing from the English translation, so, a heads up to any bilingual folks, you won't miss out on much though, unless you like Creta)

And well, I just finished Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood. Really amazing lady, really amazing book. The ending made me sad, and I could identify so much with it, even though it really is a life story, and I'm nowhere near such reminiscing.... still, she had a very unique style and I got so many good quotes out of that book, I can't wait to read something else by her. (Oh yeah, first Margaret Atwood book!)
    Last edited by EnjoyJoy; 04-14-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    I finished Soulless today. Such fun! I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of the series.
    Gail Carriger is wonderful! I love how her books are equally witty and badass and I had a blast reading the Parasol Protectorate series. If you make your way through them and want to keep going, she also recently released Etiquette & Espionage, the first book in a new YA series called Finishing School that place about 25 years prior to events in the Parasol Protectorate books. "Finishing" refers to learning the finer points of polite company as well as learning how to be a stealthy assassin -- literally "finishing" whoever was your target.

I am reading The Secret History - about 40% done - and I have to say that I really do not think I like it. I just really hate the characters. I swear, if I never read another thing about rich white frat boy intellectual types again it will be too soon. But I do want to know what happens...

Icon15

Reading Kate Atkinson's Life After Life suuuuuuper slowly because I am in love.
    ... here i am!

Just finished Carrie by Stephen King over the weekend! Holy WOW! Can't believe I had never read it before. Very fascinating, and the structure is very interesting. But,perhaps my favorite part is those of Baby Carrie.

Now, I'm starting The Year of the Flood.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    Just finished Carrie by Stephen King over the weekend! Holy WOW! Can't believe I had never read it before. Very fascinating, and the structure is very interesting. But,perhaps my favorite part is those of Baby Carrie.

Now, I'm starting The Year of the Flood.
    Yes ! I read it at the beginning of the year and LOVED it too ( only saw the movie before )
    Just started Ready One Player

Banned
    I'm almost finished with Portia de Rossi's Unbearable Lightness. It's okay, if a little too solipsistic, even for a memoir. I see myself in it more than I'd like to though...

The Secret History

Yeah. I just really didn't like it at all. It was plodding, the descriptions were overlong and pointless, the characters banal and unlikeable. There wasn't really anything compelling about it for me.

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn
    Loved the setting and the fucked up characters and twisted family relations. It almost didn't even need murders to be solved, somehow that plotline got in the way... But I guess you need a kind of lot, eh?

The reapers are the angels - Alden Bell
    Ehhh. Zombie novel that got quite good reviews, starts of quite well but really sizzles out near the end. Nice prose at times but as a whole rather forgettable.

The perks of being a wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
    I'm sure a lot of people will hate it (hell, I can see its flaws as well, it was hella cheesy at times) but I really enjoyed it. Curious incident of the dog in the nighttime meets mtv?
    post28!

Is anyone else an Earthsea fan? I just re-read A Wizard of Earthsea for a book club at work, which prompted me to also immediately re-read The Tombs of Atuan (an all-time favorite!). I've never read the other books, though, so I'm taking the opportunity to do so now, when I have the first two books fresh in my mind. The Farthest Shore started off kind of clumsily but I'm getting into it a little more as it goes on.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    The perks of being a wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
    I'm sure a lot of people will hate it (hell, I can see its flaws as well, it was hella cheesy at times) but I really enjoyed it. Curious incident of the dog in the nighttime meets mtv?
    I actually liked it better when I thought Charlie had Aspergers, it allowed me to get past the writing. But his is just a childhood trauma that caused him to relate the story the way he does, unlike the boy from Curious Incident, who really does have Aspergers.
    Last edited by Banjee; 04-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.