Page 123 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2496

Thread: What's the last book you read?

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    I'm halfway through Dune and FINALLY got an electronic copy of Life After Life from the library. Now I have 21 days to finish both novels :/ #bookwormproblems.
    I'll be interested to hear what you think of Life After Life! I think I'm something like 35th on the library waitlist for the e-Book. It's hard though, because when it's your turn you only get 2 days to check the book out and then you have to return it after 2 weeks. I don't always have that much time to read.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Icon15

It's a book that definitely reads fast, despite its heft. I intentionally slowed myself down because I was enjoying it so much, and it took me around three weeks of bedtime reading to get it done. (The blitz-era material shifts tone a little and might be slower reading, but I am fascinated about that time period so it was my favorite part.)

Everyone read it so we can talk about it!!!
    ... here i am!

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Dp.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Icon15

(And if you don't want to "return" it on the exact date, you can just shut your wi-fi connection off. I've done that a couple times when I was under pressure.)
    ... here i am!

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    I finished Stardust and Duckpond in two days, both bought on a whim, and now I've added American Gods, Neverwhere, and Anansi Boys to my collection. Sigh. Reading American Gods now.
    What did you think of Stardust? It's one of my favorites!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    What did you think of Stardust? It's one of my favorites!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Love it, especially the seven brothers! Though predictable. A breezy read. Could've been my speed-reading, but I do feel while it stands alone quite well, Gaiman left quite a lot of gaps that he can conveniently fill in the future, should he want to; the development would've turned Stardust into a (book/TV/film) series. I could imagine Yvaine being some sort of precursor to the creation of Sandman's girlfriend in Endless Nights.

I wonder how the graphics novel compares?
    Last edited by Canoodlefish; 07-15-2013 at 04:51 AM.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    (And if you don't want to "return" it on the exact date, you can just shut your wi-fi connection off. I've done that a couple times when I was under pressure.)
    THIS CAN BE DONE??????????? No late fees?

Icon15

It's worked for me a couple of times - I hope it's not a glitch that they've managed to work out because I really liked that!
    ... here i am!

World War Z
    I haven't seen the movie. I had decided not to read the books before the movies, because that way movies will suck (most of the times). That started after reading The Hunger Games and then I watched the movie and... man, I don't know what book they were reading. The movie lacks of 75% of stuff of the book.
    Anyway, WWZ. Yeah, ok. It kinda loses the point towards the end, but the first half is really good, very entertaining (it's a book for that: pure entertainment. If you're looking for a deep reading, this is not your book).
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I'm re-reading Kafka on the Shore. I've decided it's probably my favorite novel and really does reward repeat readings. After the relative disappointment of 1Q84, this shines even more brightly to me.

Love, love, love Kafka! It is one that I reread and gained further appreciation for. It's rare that I reread books anymore but Murakami's are so dream like that you almost feel like you have to read them twice, maybe three times. I am currently reading Dandelion Wine by Bradbury and savoring it through a hot, sweaty southern summer.

Just finished In the shadow of the Banyan. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing in this book.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    I just finished Kafka on the Shore...and had to look up some musings online to try to make sense of some things. Lots of good imagery/symbolism/themes though.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenglass View Post
    Love, love, love Kafka! It is one that I reread and gained further appreciation for. It's rare that I reread books anymore but Murakami's are so dream like that you almost feel like you have to read them twice, maybe three times.
    It's SO incredible. Few books have had as much of an emotional impact on me as this one did the first time I read it! Such incredible imagery and I really love the idea of duality and the Jungian stuff in it. I LOVE reading and rereading his work! I feel like I should reread 1Q84, but I'm sort of indecisive as I had very mixed feelings about it. I'm looking forward to his new one, even though I hear it's more along the lines of Norwegian Wood, which isn't my favorite of his.

(Love Kafka! I discovered Murakami this spring and I've been on a kick to read everything this summer. That was without a doubt my favorite so far, followed by Wind-Up)

Just finished Wild Sheep Chase, which I felt like I forced myself to trudge through the last 50 pages. The entire novel leading up to that point was a real joy to read, but the end was just so blah - the writing style, the appearance of the Sheep Man, the "reveal"... Once they arrived at the homestead it all just fell apart. But everything up to that point was utter perfection.

Started 1Q84 this AM. Just past the first hundred pages and I'm digging it so far. The first chapter especially was really well executed. It's nice to finally have a female protagonist.