Page 127 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2517

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Icon15

... here i am!

How to Get Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid. Written in the style of a 12 step self-help book, and in the 2nd person (!), the book traces the life of "you," a poor Indian boy trying to climb up the social/economic hierarchy of India. Funny, clever and at times very brutal, the novel exposes the dark side to acquiring wealth in India's crazy, f*ed up society. Good, entertaining (but a bit harrowing at times, as you would expect from a novel set in modern India) read.
    Last edited by Banjee; 08-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Icon15

So I stayed up until 1AM to finish Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, a YA novel I wound up liking a lot more than I thought I would. A couple of my friends had mixed-to-lukewarm feelings about it, which I totally get - I mean, it's SO schmoopy and melodramatic and passionate and INTENSE and YOUNG LOVE AHH but for some reason that didn't bother me at all. I genuinely cared for the characters and rooted for them the whole way through.

Not sure what's next - don't want anything too challenging or heavy as the school year is just starting and I'll be busy with Homecoming, the play, three preps, etc ...
    ... here i am!

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    ^
    Cool! From my hometown. She was a columnist for the paper. Now I know why she is no longer

Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    I'm number 96 for Life After Life in our library system. 96!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    I was going to request Life After Life as well. There are currently 666 holds through NYPL. (Really.)
    Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    I wound up buying Life After Life because I became obsessed with it after reading an excerpt on NPR. When my list gets too long, I deliberately request highly popular novels because I know I'll get to read them eventually, but then I can enjoy what I already own.
    Quote Originally Posted by gyabou View Post
    I've been wanting to read Life after Life too, and also can't get it from the library ... I'm hoping someone gives me an Amazon gift card for my birthday so I can get it from the Kindle shop.
    I got my hands on Life After Life. My boyfriend had the great idea of getting a Large Print edition, which the library had plenty of in stock.

I LOVED it. So glad I got it. I sat today for over six hours and finished it off.

Icon15

YAY!!!

One of my coworkers read it over the summer, but we didn't get to see each other for several weeks, and our reunion was full of squealing book-clubby highlights of our faaaaaaavorite parts.
    ... here i am!

I'm so glad you talked up the book. My bf is in a book club and I'm so excited to talk about it with him and them.

I'm STILL WAITING. However, I had a bit of a mishap. I requested the wrong book. I was so excited when my library notified me that Life After Life had arrived. I IMMEDIATELY rushed down there, checked it out and started reading. It wasn't until the 4th or 5th page that I got the feeling I was reading the wrong book. I was. Two books released with the same title released around the same time. ARGHH. Returned it and got on the request list for the other Life After Life. Now, I'm back to being number one hundred and something. I may have to go ahead and buy it.
    Last edited by Banjee; 09-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Icon15

I hadn't read anything of Kate Atkinson before and I am SO happy I discovered her. What a treat - to find such a good author with so many books I haven't read yet!

Maybe after Mario gets his copy we should have an unf-club talk!!
    ... here i am!

I would love to! It's still been swirling around in my brain all day.

Have you gotten to anything else of hers? I'm very curious if the others are as engaging.

An Unf book discussion on Life After Life would be fun. Let's put the idea out there and see if other folks are interested. A fall book club. We can sit around, eat cheesecake, drink coffee and discuss the novel and eat cheesecake. Or key lime pie. Mmm I like this idea .

Icon15

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    I would love to! It's still been swirling around in my brain all day.

Have you gotten to anything else of hers? I'm very curious if the others are as engaging.
    I downloaded Case Histories after finishing Life After Life but I haven't read it yet!
    ... here i am!

Ted Dekker's The Circle Series. The first one, Black was good; Red was barely ok; White was terrible. And I tried to finish Green but it's so stupid that I had to give it up.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    This week I've read Anna Dressed In Blood & Girl Of Nightmares, and today I just finished The Shadow Girl. I'm flying through these lightweight teen sci-fantasy books. I've picked up some that have been mentioned here, look forward to reading them. These were pretty good reads.

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe. The entire novel is basically made to be quoted. Every single entry (the novel is a mostly a collection of letters Werther had written to his friend Wilhelm) is filled with philosophical musings on life (love, in particular), as observed by Werther. It's divided into books; the first one chronicles happier moments in Werther's life, and the second deals with the hardships he experiences due to unrequited love.

I was going to pick up Faust, but the edition of Young Werther I saw had a recommendation by Kafka on the back cover, so I read that first, since I am a fan of Kafka's work. Hesse (another author I admire) was also inspired by Goethe and now I can see how much of an inspiration Young Werther was on Hesse's novels. I'll save Faust for winter.

This book was a pleasure to read, and it being my first Goethe book, I did not find it to be difficult at all, as I had imagined it would be. Faust, I hear, is another story. Young Werther is definitely a book to keep and reread.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak