Page 127 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2648

Thread: What's the last book you read?

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I really like the look of The Constant Gardener, but I've already seen the film and while I'm sure it's very different, I prefer to read the book before I see the movie (as most people do.) I might have a crack at it once the movie has faded a bit in my memory.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I finished the Fifty Shades Trilogy.
    I read the first two books rather rapidly and the third one was so tedious, so boring, so repetitive it was next to my bed at its halfway point for just less than a year. I finished it in the last two days since I was on the couch (couch ridden) with heat sickness which I hope with proper hydration I will not face again this summer.

I'm glad I finished Fifty Shades Freed, finished what I started. I know what the books are about and I know how it ended, now.
    Horrible story but at least now when the movies start coming out I will be able to compare them with the books.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I started my first Agatha Christie-- The ABC Murders-- and it is delicious! I immediately went to the library and got 9 more.
    Last edited by Banjee; 05-30-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Just finished Joe Hill's NOS4A2; I liked it, but if it were half its length it would've been twice as good.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    I started my first Agatha Christie-- The ABC Murders-- and it is delicious! I immediately went to the library and got 9 more.
    Did you get Dead Man's Folly? That's one of my favorites.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    This year I've read The Body In The Library (excellent) and The Big Four (kind of terrible). More often than not though, she's superb. Haven't read The ABC Murders yet but have seen the TV adaptation.

Oh man, I love me some Agatha Christie. I've read every single one of her Poirot, Miss Marple, and Tommy and Tuppence books. I've read a few others, but the Poirot and Marple ones are my go-to and I've read each of those at least twice, some of them more.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    This year I've read The Body In The Library (excellent) and The Big Four (kind of terrible). More often than not though, she's superb. Haven't read The ABC Murders yet but have seen the TV adaptation.
    When I got to the reveal in ABC I realized I had already seen the movie. I've seen a couple of the movies-- Evil Under the Sun, Orient Express, and Then There Were None-- so, I'm going to start off with some of the more unfamiliar titles. I'll have to add Dead Man's Folly ( thanks Andrea!), and I've real around and found that many folks think that Five Little Pigs and Roger Akryod are excellent, so I'm going to have to hunt those down as well. I now have a plan for my Summer Vacation: Read All The Books.

I'd recommend reading the Poirot ones in order. For the most part it doesn't matter, but there are a couple of Poirot books where some spoilery stuff from previous books is resolved/alluded to.

Icon15

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer! Not as profound or sharply written as Life After Life, but certainly compelling and, by the end, moving.

Onto Twelve Tribes of Hattie -- had to wait six weeks on the waiting list for that!

(Yet another female author -- other than Junot Diaz, the men are striking out this year for me!)
    ... here i am!

I'm number 96 for Life After Life in our library system. 96!!!

I was going to request Life After Life as well. There are currently 666 holds through NYPL. (Really.)

I spent 11 months reading all of the Agatha Christies in order and it was so worth doing. I really loved her books.

I'm curious about Ngaio Marsh now. At some point, I'll see what the library has.

Icon15

I wound up buying Life After Life because I became obsessed with it after reading an excerpt on NPR. When my list gets too long, I deliberately request highly popular novels because I know I'll get to read them eventually, but then I can enjoy what I already own.

Summer reading is my favorite!
    ... here i am!

I've been wanting to read Life after Life too, and also can't get it from the library ... I'm hoping someone gives me an Amazon gift card for my birthday so I can get it from the Kindle shop.

I'm reading Swamplandia! right now.

I'd love to see a reboot of Christie with a Young Poirot, Young Miss Marple. I've actually jotted down some ideas for a Poirot prequel. Maybe I'll write some fan fic during the summer.