Page 165 of 167 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2499

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Angel View Post
    Just finished The Pier Falls by Mark Haddon. A book of stories without a happy end. Loved it! One story, The Boys Who Left Home To Learn Fear, tells of a group of men that goes into the jungle in search of a lost expedition party. They come upon a text in Old Greek, that isn’t explained in the story. Can anyone help? Am getting curious!

φυγή φυγή
    νωθές πέδαιρε κόλον,
    εκποδών έλα

Anyone?
    I just finished this book too but I skimmed most of the second half because the whole book bored the hell out of me! There were one or two stories that kept my attention but on the whole I was so disappointed because I'd read one of his other books and really enjoyed it.

Also I must admit I didn't know what was going on in some of these short stories!

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I finally finished The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. It was a lovely, if sad, world to be in. I loved it!

Who else has read Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer? Do questions get answered as the series progresses, or should I just strap in and enjoy barely knowing WTF is going on?

@Sansa Spark
    My gf says "kinda, the epistemology is explained but not the ontology."
    Very helpful, I know.

I finished Call Me By Your Name exactly a week ago (conveniently in time to see the film) and liked it quite a bit. I felt more captivated by it as it went along, and thought the final stretch was particularly lovely and moving.

I also read Michael Cunningham's A Wild Swan, which is basically a set of re-imagined fairy tales. Some are definitely better than others, but it's a fun, quick read. He can be such a terrific writer, but he can also be off-puttingly flowery. It's more of an interesting curio than an essential read.

Next up I'm going to start My Absolute Darling, which I am very excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    Who else has read Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer? Do questions get answered as the series progresses, or should I just strap in and enjoy barely knowing WTF is going on?
    There are definitely "answers" in the rest of the trilogy, but IMO Annihilation is the best of the three. The movie is coming out next year, done by Alex Garland (Ex Machina), and it has Natalie Portman as the Biologist and JENNIFER JASON LEIGH as the Psychologist! Much excite, such wow!

I'm re-reading Little Women and it's still just so, so good. I'm getting things out of it as an adult that I definitely missed or didn't understand when I was young.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Like Mark said, the first IS the best. The others are fun too but lose a bit of the House-Of-Leaves creepiness that Annihilation has. I found the tone of each novel to be very different...
    As for answers, yeah you sort of do but don't expect it all to make perfect sense and be willing to read between the lines
    post28!

I think I'll definitely finish the series, but maybe on audio via the library instead of buying them.

I just finished The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee, and I loved it. Not for any really tangible reason, just for letting me be in its world.

I just finished The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee, and I loved it. Not for any really tangible reason, just for letting me be in its world.
    That's exactly how I felt about it. Like I got the chance to spend a few weeks in a really opulent opera and I loved every second of it.

wow

Quote Originally Posted by venusunfolding View Post
    That's exactly how I felt about it. Like I got the chance to spend a few weeks in a really opulent opera and I loved every second of it.
    I'm so glad that made sense!

I’m about to start some Octavia Butler but have been on a “YA with gay themes” trip and have loved every minute of it. I don’t have them near me, so you’ll have to excuse me for not remembering the author‘s name, but The Love Interest was SO good. The premise is that there is a secret organization that pairs famous/powerful people with a “love interest” who can spy on them. The “love interests” have been training their entire lives, hoping to be selected. Each target gets two choices, the good boy and the bad boy ( the personality predetermined by the org.) and the one that isn’t “picked” dies. But what happens when the two boys competing fall in love? *sigh*. It’s not groundbreaking by any means, but such a fun, sexy story. Huge guilty pleasure that I highly recommend.

I also just read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, which is a fun twist on Harry Potter, if Harry was gay. I can not stress how much I loved this book. It was magical, funny, subversive, sexy, sad....everything I need in a “let me live in a fantasy world for a bit” kind of book. It was seriously so cute and entertaining. Its also one of those books that I’d love be turned into a Netflix show ( which I think could work brilliantly).

Now off to more challenging and thought-provoking stuff!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I’m about to start some Octavia Butler but have been on a “YA with gay themes” trip and have loved every minute of it. I don’t have them near me, so you’ll have to excuse me for not remembering the author‘s name, but The Love Interest was SO good. The premise is that there is a secret organization that pairs famous/powerful people with a “love interest” who can spy on them. The “love interests” have been training their entire lives, hoping to be selected. Each target gets two choices, the good boy and the bad boy ( the personality predetermined by the org.) and the one that isn’t “picked” dies. But what happens when the two boys competing fall in love? *sigh*. It’s not groundbreaking by any means, but such a fun, sexy story. Huge guilty pleasure that I highly recommend.

I also just read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, which is a fun twist on Harry Potter, if Harry was gay. I can not stress how much I loved this book. It was magical, funny, subversive, sexy, sad....everything I need in a “let me live in a fantasy world for a bit” kind of book. It was seriously so cute and entertaining. Its also one of those books that I’d love be turned into a Netflix show ( which I think could work brilliantly).

Now off to more challenging and thought-provoking stuff!
    I really, really loved Carry On! I would've read a whole series.

^ I know! I need MORE!!!!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    ^ I know! I need MORE!!!!
    Did you read Fangirl? It's not the same, but it's about the girl who writes the book and her sister. It's cute.