Page 2 of 174 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last book you read?

I last read The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson which was amazing. I've got The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest waiting for me when I finish Marching Powder by Rusty Young.

MARCHING POWDER is the story of Thomas McFadden, a small-time English drug smuggler who was arrested in Bolivia and thrown inside the notorious San Pedro prison. He found himself in a bizarre world, the prison reflecting all that is wrong with South American society. Prisoners have to pay an entrance fee and buy their own cells (the alternative is to sleep outside and die of exposure), prisoners' wives and children often live inside too, high quality cocaine is manufactured and sold from the prison.

Thomas ended up making a living by giving backpackers tours of the prison - he became a fixture on the backpacking circuit and was named in the Lonely Planet guide to Bolivia. When he was told that for a bribe of $5000 his sentence could be overturned, it was the many backpackers who'd passed through who sent him the money. Sometimes shocking, sometimes funny, MARCHING POWDER is an always riveting story of survival.
    It's fascinating and brilliant!

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. A pretty enjoyable Russian satire.

Icon15

Marching Powder sounds fascinating! Just put it on my list.
    ... here i am!

I recently finished And Then There Were None and am now reading The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by Agatha Christie. I am making my way through all of her 89 novels in order and loving it. (I'm at about # 30 or so now.)

Anyone else on Goodreads?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    I recently finished And Then There Were None and am now reading The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by Agatha Christie. I am making my way through all of her 89 novels in order and loving it. (I'm at about # 30 or so now.)

Anyone else on Goodreads?
    I am!

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Shadowrise by Tad Williams, the third installment in the Shadowmarch series. Gods, elves, magic, swords, political upheaval, medieval fantasy. soooooo good. Gods I love it.

I Agatha Christie! I have the entire Hercule Poirot collection, some of the Miss Marple books, one of the Tuppence books, and a handful of others without a special character lead. I know I've read all the Poirot books at least 3 times. They're fantastic! And there are so many that I actually do forget how they end (except Orient Express, hard to forget that one).

I just finished Stieg Larsson's crime trilogy on audiobook, which I enjoyed immensely. Daniel Craig and Viggo Mortensen are both rumored to play the lead in the first Hollywood version of Book 1 (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo), which I'm super-excited about as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancy View Post
    Proust's Swann's Way. There is virtually no plot, the sentences are long and knotted, the whole novel is uncompromisingly introspective, and it is seriously one of the best books I've ever read. READ IT!
    The bookstore didn't have it! I had to order from Amazon.

I just finished Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich. Normally I love her and I was really into the book but the more I think about it, the less I like it. Master Butchers Singing Club is one of my favorite books, but this wasn't quite there. Oh well.

While I wait for my other book to come in from amazon, I'm rereading The Corrections because I enjoy punishing myself on the bus with overlarge books.

I just finished Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm sad it's finished! I absolutely loved it and I wished it were a lot longer. It makes me want to read more Vonnegut. I've only ever read his short stories Harrison Bergeron (which I adore) and Welcome To The Monkey House which is also really good. The best part about Slapstick is that there is a religion in it called The Church of Jesus Christ the Kidnapped that has its followers constantly jerking their heads every which way in search of Jesus Christ the Kidnapped. It's brilliantly bizarre!

I just finished listening on audio to A Lion Called Christian: The True Story of the Remarkable Bond Between Two Friends and a Lion by Anthony Burke & John Randall. Anyone who is not touched even a little by this story is DEAD INSIDE.

I am on Goodreads too!

i just finished George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones. It's the first in a 3 part series called Fire and Ice. Fantastically written. I love that he tells the story for different points of view and shows both the good and the evil side of his characters, setting you up to not cheer for either side. I'm on to the second book in the series, A Clash of Kings.
    Click for Viggolicious goodness

Have you heard that Game of Thrones is going to be a show on HBO? I haven't read the books but I've been meaning to since I've heard nothing but amazing things about the HBO pilot script.

Really! That would be fantastic! I need to get HBO. I'm so missing out not getting to see True Blood! That would push me to do so. It really is a great book.
    Click for Viggolicious goodness

I finished Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure last week. Miserable book, but I loved it. Probably going to re-read A Game of Thrones next since I never got around to reading any of the other books in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by clarion View Post
    I finished Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure last week. Miserable book, but I loved it.
    I have never read that, but ever since I stumbled upon this one-star Amazon customer review, I've wanted to read it ever since...

This book ruined my life

I read this book in high school because my demented English teacher wanted all of us at 16 to share her pain from a lifetime of mistakes. The book horrified me then, and it horrifies me now. As I approach 30 I deal with many of the issues that Jude had. Women, you can't life with them, you can't fit them in a blender. I don't want the resposibility of a family, but don't want to die alone. I think that a lot of my fear of marriage and commitment have to do with this book. Women can and will ruin your life, and getting married is the first day of the end of your life. It is crazy how my life has progressed so far to mirror this book, and I can only imagine that I will marry my current girlfriend that I know is wrong for me, and have a terribly unhappy life where my kids will kill themselves in a closet. Oh, did I put spoilers in? It's an old freaking book Jack so shut your pie hole. Did I manifest this book to become my life story? I don't know, but if I hadn't read it I truly belive that I might have had a chance of being happy in this life.
    Last edited by leirali; 06-16-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: issues.