Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Quote Originally Posted by empresskara View Post
    It's the first in a 3 part series called Fire and Ice.
    There are four books so far, a fifth on the way (with no expected completion date), and supposedly two more books before the series is over. I'm not sure it'll ever be finished.

Jude the Obscure is sitting on the coffee table in the living room- I keep wanting to pick it up but can't quite talk myself into being that depressed just yet.

Oh god, I LOVED Jude the Obscure in high school.

That review on amazon is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by clarion View Post
    There are four books so far, a fifth on the way (with no expected completion date), and supposedly two more books before the series is over. I'm not sure it'll ever be finished.
    Ah, thanks! I had only seen 3 in the bibliography in the first book (I'm reading it on my Kindle and it was the first 2 put together). Awesome!
    Click for Viggolicious goodness

I don't know how long it'll take me to get through Thrones again, but I'll be reading the series along with you.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I just finished a reread of Tamora Pierce's The Song of the Lioness quartet for nostalgia's sake. They were some of my favorite books as a kid, and I counted Alanna among my personal heroes for a long time. Still kinda do. It was good to revisit Tortall.

Quote Originally Posted by leirali View Post
    I have never read that, but ever since I stumbled upon this one-star Amazon customer review, I've wanted to read it ever since...
    This is seriously one of the funniest reviews ever! I think I just peed a little.

Quote Originally Posted by G. View Post
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. A pretty enjoyable Russian satire.
    I am just about to start that! Glad to see I'm not wasting my time.

I'm about half way through Haruki Murakami's, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, which is a collection of his short stories. Not bad, but I much prefer his full-length novels.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    All the Game of Thrones mentions in this thread is reminding me I need to get to reading Storm of Swords already. Let's hope I can still remember the first two books.

and I can't wait for the HBO series (omg Sean Bean as Ned Stark, perfect casting is perfect)

Has anyone read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? I have it on my shelf and have heard great things, but I haven't gotten motivated enough to read it.

I finished And The Heart Says Whatever by Emily Gould last week. I found it to be very enjoyable, but it was at least partially because her experiences were very relatable to my own. It's a quick light read, but the narrator is often unsympathetic and will piss off a lot of people. It was a nice quick read though, nothing incredible, but a good collection of essays about what it's like to be in NYC in your early 20's and kinda an asshole.

Oh HER. She's that narcissist drama queen who caused such a ruckus leaving gawker a couple years ago right? I assumed she'd be a terrible writer (probably because I wanted her to be a terrible writer. She is a jerk.) but now I may have to go flip through it in a bookstore just to see.
    Last edited by devnull; 06-16-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G. View Post
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. A pretty enjoyable Russian satire.
    Love this! Just ordered Heart of Dog by him. I also ordered a hardback edition of Angela Carter's Complete Collecton of short stories Burning Your Boats and her collection Wayward Girls and Wicked Women: An Anthology of Subversive Stories (for 99 cents!!). Right now I'm finishing up Wise Children and waiting for the postman to arrive.
    Last edited by Banjee; 06-16-2010 at 11:45 AM.

^ Angela Carter is a goddess! if not THE GODDESS. and that wicked women anthology is quite nice, too. I bought it as a present for my boyfriend last year and read half of it in one sitting before giving it to him.

back on topic, I'm about to finish Scott Heim's We Disappear.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    I'm starting Valley of the Dolls. Love me some trashy diva lit.