Page 66 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last book you read?

post28!

Finished Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash-- what an adrenaline-filled gloriously insane ride. Set in the not to distant future in which America is bought out by run by the Mafia, Asian corporations and the Pentecostals, all packaged like a Samurai-western version of The Matrix (complete with helicopter explosions) . Not only is the novel plausible, it foresees much of what is going on today with information technology and world markets. I will definitely be checking out more of Stephenson's work.

Now, on to the second William Gibson novel in the "Sprawl Series"-- Count Zero.

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    ^ I have been thinking of reading Snow Crash. I love cyberpunk films but have yet to finish any actual fiction from the genre. I gave Neuromancer a try this summer but I found it pretty silly and superficial.

Neuromancer silly and superficial? How so? Dated, well, yes.

Icon15

I'm in the middle of A Visit From the Goon Squad and I am savoring every moment of it. It is exquisitely written, and I haven't enjoyed fiction like this in a long, long time.
    ... here i am!

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Queen Up in Pumps View Post
    Neuromancer silly and superficial? How so? Dated, well, yes.
    I didn't get very far, to be fair, but I thought there was a little too much description of literally the surface of things—like how the neon up in the club looks rather than actual characterizations or motivations. I felt like I was being given all these cues to stop and marvel at how totally cool everything was but I had no reason to care about the characters or their society. I might give it another try someday, though.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - I loved it. It was very difficult to read. I felt like I was a mess reading the book, bit I felt like it was rewarding. Cathartic. I really enjoyed the writing. I really liked the characters. Seeing 9/11 through the eyes of a child was tough. In some ways it was softened, but more often it felt distilled and sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Quentcomp, snuff is on my bookshelf
    You sick, sick man.

Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    I'm in the middle of A Visit From the Goon Squad and I am savoring every moment of it. It is exquisitely written, and I haven't enjoyed fiction like this in a long, long time.
    I felt the same way! She is wonderful and now I want to read everything she's written.

How To Be Good by Nick Hornby. At times funny (yes, I was the guy sat on alone on a train chuckling) and at others moving. I had been meaning to read something of his for a while so snapped this up when it turned up on the free book table at work. Will be searching out more by the same author.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

yellow heart
    Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    (yes, I was the guy sat on alone on a train chuckling)
    Ha, I was that guy once, too! Of the books I've read by him, 'How To Be Good' and 'Juliet, Naked' were the ones I enjoyed the most.

ETA

While I'm here, I can also answer the question in the thread title: 'Leviathan' by Paul Auster which I thought was great. Before that, I started 'Mr. Vertigo' by the same author, but I couldn't really get into that one.
    Last edited by Don; 10-26-2011 at 10:09 PM.

I've been thinking about reading The Hunger Games for a long time because of all the buzz it's been getting, but I've heard it's got a Twilight-love-triangle-thingy going on, and I usually don't read YA novels. I'll still give it a shot, though, because of all the positive reactions in this thread.

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    It's NOT twilight. The triangle is there, but the books are so much more. Katniss is a much stronger protagonist, she is a female character girls can really be inspired by. It's such a great series.

Kari, the second book is my favorite too.

Oh, good. I loathe Twilight. LOATHE. I've just been divided about it because I've heard that it's very good from some people, and others have told me it suffers from the same problems that most YA books do. I'm definitely very curious about it since it seems divisive, so that means I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Ha, I was that guy once, too! Of the books I've read by him, 'How To Be Good' and 'Juliet, Naked' were the ones I enjoyed the most.
    I will check Juliet, Naked out.

I'm just about to start Luke Rhinehart's The Dice Man which I got from The Goodbye Library in April. It was referenced briefly in How To Be Good which reminded me to pick it up.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."