Page 68 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 2518

Thread: What's the last book you read?

I'm late to the party on this one, but just finished Dead Until Dark. On to the rest of the series...

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I finished Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link this week. It's a collection of short stories that are strange. They remind me a lot of Gaiman's short stories (and he did a blurb on the back of the book). I liked some of them, but I think I didn't get nearly all of them. It was interesting, though.

Just finished the new Stephen King - 11/22/63. That was a lot to process.

Really fucking good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by clarion View Post
    Just finished the new Stephen King - 11/22/63. That was a lot to process.

Really fucking good, though.

My husband keeps talking about it. May have to snag it for his birthday and barrow once he's done reading it.

I finished Mona Lisa Overdrive-- good end to a fantastic series. I did think that too much was patched together right at the end in order to square the series away. I think it could've been bit a better developed even if that meant 100 more pages.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I started The Best American Short Stories 2010 the other night. I'm only four stories in, but "Safari" by Jennifer Egan is the only one I really love so far. The others... eh. Forgettable and/or trying far too hard to be ~profound~.

I need to be better about reading short stories but that kind of review is what scares me! A crappy poem is fine, because I'm not too invested in it and won't think deeply about it. I'm probably going to stop reading long fiction if it's bad. But short fiction? Somehow I feel shortchanged if it's awful. Don't ask me why.

...which is the perfect segue into "I'm reading the new Stephen King, too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I finished Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link this week. It's a collection of short stories that are strange. They remind me a lot of Gaiman's short stories (and he did a blurb on the back of the book). I liked some of them, but I think I didn't get nearly all of them. It was interesting, though.
    I love that collection! Wow, it's been ages since I've heard that title.

I decided to give up on The Kindly Ones. It's just sooooo slooooooooowwwwwwww. Critics may think it's the bees knees but I don;t care how much it resembles a Greek tragedy or how precise the WW2 details are or how deep and layered its supposed to be. It's so goddamn boring!

Last time I did that was with Catch 22, god I hated that book.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Last time I did that was with Catch 22, god I hated that book.
    A silent alarm was just triggered with that post, and all high school teachers are responding to the scene.

It's been so long since I've read Catch 22 that I don't even remember if I liked it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Mickey Wrangle View Post
    A silent alarm was just triggered with that post, and all high school teachers are responding to the scene.
    Ha, probably, but I really don't care I'll throw my copy at their heads!
    I started that book because of its status but quickly found out that, imo, it really hadn't aged that well. The surrealism and complete lack of plot was too much for me...
    post28!

On that note, Brave New World didn't age well in my opinion.

But Fahrenheit 451 still gets me *right here.*

I'm reading American Gods the 10th year anniversary special. I didn't know what version to go to... anyone out there prefer one over the other??

I'm not a huge reader, but I loved the Harry Potter books. I'm interested in the Hunger Games series but wondered if anyone could advise on whether or not it's good. the Twilight books are utter crap, so if they're anything like that i'm likely not interested.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I am curious about the Hunger Games too, especially after reading how much peeps in here enjoyed them. BUT ... book one is completely sold out in all bookstores here. I have been to 4 or 5 stores so far and all are sold out, and even the main online book buying places here don't have any in stock. So, I will be waiting a couple of weeks before starting my Hunger Games adventure by the looks of it. Damn Christmas hype!