Page 72 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2497

Thread: What's the last book you read?

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    Donna Tartt's The Secret History. I think I picked it up on recommendations from various forumzers, but I have to say I was unimpressed with the novel. Tartt makes the most glaring college-level creative writing workshop mistake: telling rather than showing. "Francis was the type of person who x, y, and z'd." "I don't recollect the conversation very well, so I'll sum it up for you here." The absolute worst was the epilogue (this one's verbatim): "I suppose nothing remains now but to tell you what happened, as far as I know, to the rest of the players in our story." For an author who clearly knows what a deus ex machina is, I hardly think it was wise to use that same tactic--in a narrative mode--to conclude your novel! The main reason I found this frustrating was that, in terms of developing characters, she relied on a great deal of shorthand, which meant that the stakes were low; I never really gave a shit whether her players lived or died, were caught or got off scot-free. Moreover, this flaw diminished the potential suspense of the novel--we know what happens from the first page, but the fact that the reader is constantly reminded that "years later, character x would be this way" leaves little room for an increase in tension.

It was more or less an entertaining read, and I should take it for what it is--a murder mystery with literary pretensions--but even if I do that, it was about 200-250 pages too long, and ultimately read like a far less interesting version of Highsmith's "Talented Mr. Ripley." But hey, I'm on holiday, and I liked not having to think too hard, so that worked out.

On to the new Hollinghurst novel!

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    The Hypnotist

With a story line that includes grizzly serial murders, insanity, incest, suppressed memories, and revenge this much-hyped Swedish thriller drew me in from the beginning -- but after a while there were too many subplots to follow and too many timelines that just didn't add up. About 2/3rd's of the way through the book I started having flashbacks of reading The DaVinci Code.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Shart O'Nay View Post
    Donna Tartt's The Secret History. I think I picked it up on recommendations from various forumzers, but I have to say I was unimpressed with the novel. Tartt makes the most glaring college-level creative writing workshop mistake: telling rather than showing. "Francis was the type of person who x, y, and z'd." "I don't recollect the conversation very well, so I'll sum it up for you here." The absolute worst was the epilogue (this one's verbatim): "I suppose nothing remains now but to tell you what happened, as far as I know, to the rest of the players in our story." For an author who clearly knows what a deus ex machina is, I hardly think it was wise to use that same tactic--in a narrative mode--to conclude your novel! The main reason I found this frustrating was that, in terms of developing characters, she relied on a great deal of shorthand, which meant that the stakes were low; I never really gave a shit whether her players lived or died, were caught or got off scot-free. Moreover, this flaw diminished the potential suspense of the novel--we know what happens from the first page, but the fact that the reader is constantly reminded that "years later, character x would be this way" leaves little room for an increase in tension.

It was more or less an entertaining read, and I should take it for what it is--a murder mystery with literary pretensions--but even if I do that, it was about 200-250 pages too long, and ultimately read like a far less interesting version of Highsmith's "Talented Mr. Ripley." But hey, I'm on holiday, and I liked not having to think too hard, so that worked out.

In Tartt's defense, she's writing from Richard's POV as he reflects on what happened, which makes "telling rather than showing" appear as a more deliberate choice. "Telling rather than showing" is also not necessarily a bad thing, either:

"The notion that showing is good and telling is bad is a misleading oversimplification. Each has its place...Scene and summary--showing and telling--create a rhythm for the dance of fiction."
    -Jerome Stern, Making Shapely Fiction, p. 219

Now as to whether Tartt used it effectively, that's where we can agree to disagree! A lot of the clumsiness can be attributed to Richard's retelling and not Tartt herself. Some can see that as a cheap safety net for Tartt, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say her "showing instead of telling" was by design. And for me, it was effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Shart O'Nay View Post

Exciting! That's on my "to read" shelf. I'm on a bit of a Hollinghurst break, though. I haven't fully recovered from The Folding Star. I'll read The Spell and The Stranger's Child next year.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I think the end of The Secret History works because I think it reflects how Richard was just so exhausted with the whole situation he just wanted to be over and done with the story. It reflected his disillusionment with his friends. He went into minute detail at the beginning when he was in awe of them, but when he was sick of them and what happened, it was "yadda yadda yadda". It felt more real to me because that's what happens when you tell an emotional story: you start off excited, but wear yourself out and get caught up in the sadness towards the end.

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    I think these are fair points, and I obviously concede that I'm in the minority for not enjoying the novel (only one person I've known who's also read the book felt similarly--everyone else gushed, which was why I picked it up--these are opinions I trust!). I do think the telling-rather-than-showing was done ineffectively, for me, primarily because it seemed, in short, to enable cardboard-cutout characterizations and to diminish the suspense of, well, what basically amounts to a murder mystery. For example:

The Stranger's Child is fantastic so far. Only about 100 pages in, but I'm really enjoying the almost Victorian feel of it. Something like Forster there, or maybe Brideshead Revisited. A very different book to The Line of Beauty, though that's admittedly the only other Hollinghurst I've read.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    Just finished Game of Thrones - !!! ordering clash of kings now.

Did you love it? (rhetorical question. Obviously you did if you're ordering book 2! Ahhhh, who are your favorites? Best scene? And
    )

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    Did you love it? (rhetorical question. Obviously you did if you're ordering book 2! Ahhhh, who are your favorites? Best scene? And
    )

Just finishing up Sense and Sensibility, the second half was much better. This was her first book so I plan on reading others, and her Wiki looks interesting too. That's for today.

But I need a change of pace, so A Visit From the Goon Squad is next. I asked for books for Christmas, saying any NYT bestsellers would be fine, but when asked to narrow it down, I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by Carhole View Post
    I just finished the first one, too:

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    Robert Musil- The Confusions of Young Torless
    A very good read. Makes me want to read The Man Without Qualities, too.
    But I just don't have the 30 spare years!

This Game of Thrones talk makes me so happy.
    spoiler for first book

Quote Originally Posted by Rum 509 View Post

But I need a change of pace, so A Visit From the Goon Squad is next. I asked for books for Christmas, saying any NYT bestsellers would be fine, but when asked to narrow it down, I came here.
    I love this one! Happy reading.

Icon15

So should I read Game of Thrones? How would you describe it?

Just about to start The Art of Fielding and super pumped for that!
    ... here i am!