Page 73 of 174 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2598

Thread: What's the last book you read?

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Ellen Degeneres, Seriously... I'm Kidding. It's okay, but can't trump Bossypants.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Icon15

I couldn't get into Bossypants in print, so I listened to the audiobook while commuting to work and let me tell you -- it really benefited from that medium. The writing needed Fey's delivery and timing to work for me, and I'm glad I took the time to seek it out from the library.
    ... here i am!

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    I couldn't get into Bossypants in print, so I listened to the audiobook while commuting to work and let me tell you -- it really benefited from that medium. The writing needed Fey's delivery and timing to work for me, and I'm glad I took the time to seek it out from the library.
    I could only get hold of the print version; I suppose Ellen's would improve significantly from her vocal delivery too.

On Bossypants, I find the theatre, father and "coming out" parts freaking hilarious. I'm glad she did have another baby.
    Last edited by Canoodlefish; 11-30-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Currently reading "Exit Through The Wound" by North Morgan, about a 20something guy living in London.

He's basically a self-destructive, self-absorbed asshole who detests his job and clings to drugs and working out to get him through life.

It's fantastic in a 'trying to be Bret Easton Ellis' kind of way.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I am 150 pages into the Steve Jobs Biography - and so far not a pretty picture being painted. Hopefully the ends justify the means, by which I mean, the author reflects a little bit of the love the nation had for him and how much he was mourned/how hard his passing was to process. I am sure it will get there, but it is a rough ride so far.
    I never heard anyone on any forum, messageboard, etc., mention all this negative stuff.
    Maybe the author is just getting the hard stuff out of the way.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ really? There's a lot of info and articles out there about how what Jobs was really good at was taking someone else's idea and refining it to make it better. Someone put it rather well that he was an expert "tweaker" - refining, and adjusting something until it was perfect.

Icon15

I started The Book Thief a couple of days ago and I just can't get into the narrative voice. I'm only 30 pages in, but I've been recommended the book from so many people -- even former students who would not be considered big readers. What am I missing here?
    ... here i am!

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I think people either love that book or hate that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Volto View Post
    I never heard anyone on any forum, messageboard, etc., mention all this negative stuff.
    It was nearly always met with a wall of silence or hurried dismissal from Apple fanspazzes who could never accept he was basically a geeky, techy and somewhat brighter version of Donald Trump, but Job's unpleasant personality, his workplace bullying, his strident anti-unionism, his unpleasant treatment of his daughter, his disgusting lack of philanthropy and his support of horrific Chinese sweatshops filled with ill-treated migrant workers in pursuit of profit uber alles have been covered endlessly over the years in many online venues. It's just that - rather repulsively - the howls of outrage at his business practices and disgust over his deification have always tended to get drowned out by the relentless, tunnel-visioned orgasmic squealing over each new update or toy.

Finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Fun and thoroughly engaging read. A bit clunky at times, and could have used some editing, but considering the circumstances of the novel's publishing and the writers death, still a very strong story. 4 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    I started The Book Thief a couple of days ago and I just can't get into the narrative voice. I'm only 30 pages in, but I've been recommended the book from so many people -- even former students who would not be considered big readers. What am I missing here?
    Oh GOD, I attempted to read it this August and had the same experience. I got about halfway through and was basically forcing myself to continue, so when the due date came up I just returned it instead of renewing it. I was pretty disappointed with it. So many people told me to keep reading it because it was their favorite book, but it never got better. Heather wrote a great review of it on GoodReads that made me feel so much better about disliking it, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Queen Up In Pumps View Post
    Finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Fun and thoroughly engaging read. A bit clunky at times, and could have used some editing, but considering the circumstances of the novel's publishing and the writers death, still a very strong story. 4 stars.
    I'm currently about halfway through the first book and enjoying it greatly too.

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    I'm currently about halfway through the first book and enjoying it greatly too.
    i'm halfway through too, and i'm just NOW starting to enjoy it. i thought the first 300 pages were crap for the most part, to the point i almost didn't even bother reading it anymore. i'm happy i stuck it out, and now i am very interested in finding out what happens!

I went through literature-period-shock going from Stieg Larsson to Jane Austin. Gah, it was like a different language! Well I guess it was actually. But anyway, it's paying off, though it was some work, Sense and Sensibility is worth it. All I need is a solid chunk of time to finish it.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    The Little Stranger. I loved this book so much I could not put it down and insisted on staying up until 3 a.m. to finish it. Sarah Waters has yet to write a book that does not thoroughly engage me.