Page 73 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2499

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Art of Fielding - someone I work with was raving about that. It's about baseball, right?

Yes, you should read Game of Thrones! It's medieval fantasy that might look like Lord of the Rings at first glance except for the fact that it's psychologically realistic and true(r) to the actual feel of medieval England. And therefore bleak as hell. There are no sunshiney hobbits and benevolent wizards, there's plenty of incest and murder and rape though. Plus dragons!

Here's a good sample bite from the TV adaptation:
    (minor character spoiler)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mna...eature=related
    Last edited by devnull; 01-07-2012 at 09:46 PM.

I have yet to achieve Texas escape velocity.
    Over the holidays I've read quite a bit...Started Dance with Dragons (the most recent Game of Thrones book...sorry, I will never call it by it's official title. Song of Ice and Fire? Sounds too frilly) and then put it aside because I needed a break from the grim brutality. (Before my cat died, I could deal with it, but with grieving and Xmas I couldn't do it) I then burned through the Help, the History of Love by Nicole Krauss, the Underneath by Kathi Appelt and started the Hunger Games Trilogy. I'm finishing up Mockingjay tonight and then I'll probably get back to Dance with Dragons.

The entire Game of Thrones series is addictive with all of its intrigue and action. I liked the Help, but didn't really love it the way I enjoyed the History of Love. I picked the latter up at a used bookstore for 3 bucks on a whim after reading the dustjacket (the title makes it sound like chick lit or something, but it's actually literary fiction). I love it the same way I love Milan Kundera or short stories from Kevin Brockmeier's View from the Seventh Layer. Or the graphic novel Daytripper.

The Underneath was excellent as well. It's a National Book Award winning YA novel about a cat, her kittens and a hound dog. The prose is beautiful and almost poetic. It is gritty and dark for a middle grade novel, featuring an alcoholic, abusive hunter as the story's antagonist. In comparison to George RR Martin's world or the Walking Dead graphic novels, though, it's sunshine and roses. I loved it.

As for the Hunger Games, the first book is by far the best so far. Considering the premise, it isn't nearly as grisly as it could be, but it's violent, fast-paced and thought provoking. Katniss is a nice alternative to the Bellas of teen fiction and I really like dystopian sci fi and fantasy, so it's right up my alley.

I finished A Dance with Dragons last night! I was going to read the sample chapter of The Winds of Winter right away until I saw what GRRM's website looks like -- I can't handle all that purple, reading it on my iPhone screen! I think I c&p it and make a PDF file that I can read on my phone later.

A lot of people describe Game of Thrones like: think "Lord of the Rings" meets "The Wire".

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I didn't know there was a sample chapter. I was going to read it too, until I saw it was titled

Icon15

Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    Art of Fielding - someone I work with was raving about that. It's about baseball, right?
    Yep! It's a character study through the lens of a Midwestern college baseball team. I'm one of those "baseball is life" people, and I'm loving the heck out of it so far (only about 25 pages in), but my friend who isn't a fan is really appreciating it too.

I believe my brother is also reading Game of Thrones -- I'll have him lend me the books, ha!
    ... here i am!

I finished Middlesex this week and thought it was really good. I had the feeling I would not like it when I started it but I was wrong , the story was great and I liked the main caracter a lot !

I started to read At Swim , Two Boys again after Middlesex . I stopped last year because I was late at the library and didn't really care to finish it . I'm liking the story but I find the find the writing style difficult to read in some parts , I'll continue to read it because most of you enjoyed this book a lot , I'll see :P

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    Yes, you should read Game of Thrones! It's medieval fantasy that might look like Lord of the Rings at first glance except for the fact that it's psychologically realistic and true(r) to the actual feel of medieval England. And therefore bleak as hell. There are no sunshiney hobbits and benevolent wizards, there's plenty of incest and murder and rape though. Plus dragons!
    this description completely sold me! I found the last copy they had a Half Price Books yesterday and am 100 pages in so far.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    ^^ That's sound great. I just placed a hold request at the library. I've never read anything of his, but this "Letter from the Author" on Amazon makes him sound promising:

People often ask me, “Mr. Gary, why don’t you write more books?” And I say to them “Why don’t you write more books, huh?” And they say, “But seriously. You’ve only published three books and you’re almost forty. What’s wrong with you?” Well, the thing is I can polish off a book in a week or two (eat my shorts, Jack Kerouac), but the modern writer has many other obligations.

The first step in promoting your book is to make a video starring James Franco and featuring other authors such as Jeffrey Eugenides, Mary Gaitskill, Jay McInerney and a cute weenie dog. Between writing the script, casting, and suing various catering companies, the process can take up to two years.

Then the modern writer has to go on tour. Since my last book, Super Sad Something or Other came out eight months ago I have given 249 readings in the United States and in dangerous foreign countries such as Colombia, Russia and Scotland (I still can’t legally talk about what happened in that Glasgow pub). For the paperback I will give another 249 readings hitting the pasta-paella belt in Southern Europe, but also venturing into unheard-of smaller cities in America, such as Tempeh, which I’m pretty sure is a kind of vegan food as well as a small metropolis.

When you add the trailer filming time to the touring time to the two weeks it takes to actually write a book, that’s four years and two weeks. And then there’s the post-touring-filming-writing-suing-your-caterer stint in rehab, which, depending on your publisher’s rehab budget, can take up to another year. So you see writing a book and then selling it to wonderful book buyers such as yourself is a long and chilling process. Thank you for your support. My next book 20 Things I Learned the Hard Way in a Dank Glasgow Drinking Establishment

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malike-pakile View Post
    Robert Musil- The Confusions of Young Torless
    A very good read. Makes me want to read The Man Without Qualities, too.
    But I just don't have the 30 spare years!
    hmmm. I actually have The Man Without Qualities Vol 1 sitting on my shelf! Is he as dense and inaccessible as people say? If it's worth it I might try that next after my current read - Billiards at Half Past Nine, by Heinrich Boll.

these days just seem to crush me
    just finished the hunger games and can't wait to read the next book in the series!! my sister read these books a loong time ago, but i thought the plot sounded dumb. i'm glad i gave it a chance.

has anyone read "battle royale"? hunger games is supposedly a "rip-off" of this book. i'll probably read it after i finish the series.

I've read Battle Royale and seen the movie. I'd recommend just watching the film because you don't really get much more from the book except many descriptions of guns! (Also, the movie invented the character of Kitano -- who really MAKES the whole movie as an extremely gray scary/tragic character.) As to whether it's a rip off -- yes and no. When you watch Battle Royale you'll quickly discover just how crazily similar the two stories are too each other -- right down to the idea of the arena being divided into "zones", though the way the zones work are different. But the stories have very different motivations.

trailers

Just finished I Wish Someone Were Waiting For Me
    Quick read and most if it was really fun !

Quote Originally Posted by gyabou View Post
    I've read Battle Royale and seen the movie. I'd recommend just watching the film because you don't really get much more from the book except many descriptions of guns!
    I'm surprised! I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that.

Personally I found the novel much more satisfying than the film, which to me was just a bunch of kids dying. That's there in the book, of course, but I liked getting into a lot of the character's heads.

Quote Originally Posted by clarion View Post
    I'm surprised! I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that.

Personally I found the novel much more satisfying than the film, which to me was just a bunch of kids dying. That's there in the book, of course, but I liked getting into a lot of the character's heads.
    I did enjoy the book, but I can't really think of many things in the novel that I really missed in the movie. I can, however, think of things in the movie that I missed in the book.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    @Carhole (clicked the wrong button)

Well, Torless is a very good read! It is mainly about a young man growing up, his struggles between being interested in sex and also being interested in Kant. The feeling of being the only person in the world with certain thoughts, ideas and feelings and having to face people who seem to be bland and unable or unwilling to understand him.
    It is also very interesting to see the parallels to the ideologies of the third reich, the way that an established elite judges other people, categorizes them and then punishes them on a basis that it purely fictional and created by themselves.(the book was written in 1906, so it is, of course, not explicit about this topic)
    Torless is absolutely accessible, I think Man without qualities is a lot harder to read. if only because of the sheer length of the book.