Page 77 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2517

Thread: What's the last book you read?

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    Atwood's said that she's working on a third (final?) novel in that series. Sounds like she wants to follow MaddAdam/Zeb, but there haven't been a ton of details as yet.

I was just thinking about the MaddAdam trilogy the other day and wondering what the final novel will be like. Pretty sure I'll lose my shit when it's released.

I've only just begun, A Visit From The Goon Squad and I'm already sucked in. I have been struggling to find a new book to read, so happy this one is doing the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Shart O'Nay View Post
    Atwood's said that she's working on a third (final?) novel in that series. Sounds like she wants to follow MaddAdam/Zeb, but there haven't been a ton of details as yet.
    Incredible news! The release of 'Year of the Flood' was an event for me and I would love to read another installment. I'm surprised (and much relieved) that someone hasn't tried to make a film as of yet... Thanks for sharing this news!
    Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss. Winner of the Edgar Award for Best First Novel. Apparently Liss did a great deal of research for this historical mystery novel set in early 18th century London. It's filled with intriguing details and fascinating characters all surrounding the business of stock jobbing, the Bank of England, and the South Sea Co. The story has plenty of twists and turns and the plot while complicated, isn't distractingly so. I loved it, and am going to be reading the sequel A Spectacle of Corruption next.
    Loved the sequel too - Liss has a gift for creating characters who peak and hold your interest because they are comprised of so many attributes: wit, ruthlessness, pomposity, passion, cleverness, and duplicity. In a nutshell: Tories, Whigs, and Jacobites are all plotting against one another during an election year in early 18th century London where abject poverty, antisemitism, and thief-taking run rampant. Just as with A Conspiracy of Paper, there are a multitude of sub-plots but they never bog down the main story line. I am now ordering The Devil's Companion which is the last (to date) novel in this intriguing series.

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmblue View Post
    Incredible news! The release of 'Year of the Flood' was an event for me and I would love to read another installment. I'm surprised (and much relieved) that someone hasn't tried to make a film as of yet... Thanks for sharing this news!
    I'm generally surprised by the fact that her work isn't frequently adapted. O&C and YOTF seem obvious opportunities, but I've also always thought Cat's Eye or Alias Grace would make fantastic films. Even though she's, I think, more a master of the interior, she has a highly cinematic eye for image and detail. I actually heard Alias Grace was opted by maybe Sarah Polley? I'll check back on that one.

ETA: Yep! Sarah Polley! http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...argaret-atwood I haven't seen Away from Her, an adaptation of one of Alice Munro's stories, but I've heard great things about it, so I'm pretty thrilled about this!

Just finished re-reading Timothy Zahn's Star Wars trilogy...I liked elements of it less reading it as an adult, but the characters are awesome and the things that Zahn invented and added to the expanded SW universe are equally awesome. And I have to say that the middle book, Dark Force Rising, really is just straight-up good. Definitely the best of the three.

Now I'm onto The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

Check out his other novel, Spot of Bother, as well!!
    post28!

Icon15

I'll check that out!! I love Curious Incident.
    ... here i am!

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

I really liked this book, probably my favorite I've read this year so far. Liked the story and the scenery of it.
    I'm now starting The Little Friend but I've heard is really not that good :/

I loved The Secret History a lot. One of my all time favorite books I think.

Am currently reading all Harry Potter books again, currently in book 5.

The Secret History is wonderful. I re-read it yearly.

I'm torn about The Little Friend. The structure/plot progression is...well, you'll see. It starts off seeming to be about one thing but then really isn't about that thing at all, and in fact I don't think I could tell you for sure WHAT the book is actually ABOUT. That said, Donna Tartt's writing is out of control and despite being confused by the book, it stuck with me. I think about it a lot even now, and it's been almost two years since I read it. The climactic struggle (you'll know it when you get there) is one of the most hair-raising confrontations I've ever read in literature. Period.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Oh that description sound great

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I just finished Pillars of the Earth. I had seen the mini-series and liked it and just happened to come across the book in the library, so I figured I'd try it. It was really good. I was surprised by how faithful the series was to the book. I couldn't help but picture the actors as I read it, and when I saw My Week With Marilyn, I kept thinking of Colin as Jack and it was really messing my head up. I like this quote, which sums up my feelings about most modern-day American Christians

He was the worst kind of Christian, Philip realized: he embraced all of the negatives, enforced every proscription, insisted on all forms of denial and demanded strict punishment for every offense; yet he ignored all the compassion of Christianity, denied its mercy, flagrantly disobeyed its ethic of love, and openly flouted the gentile laws of Jesus.

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    The Girl Who Played With Fire

Thought it was a lot better than the first book, but it still took so long to get moving. I just don't understand all the need for exposition and background before the actual story begins. But once it got moving, I really liked it and am interested to see how the story plays out in the next book.