Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Lena Dunham's Girls

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I think my favorite Girls moment is in "All Adventurous Women Do" (season one) when Marnie comes home to find Hannah dancing in her room, after learning that Elijah is gay, and they bond over it, then dance together. I love their chemistry in that scene... maybe the last time in the whole series when Marnie wasn't basically awful?

In terms of other characters being eclipsed, I think one of the problems of the show is that for its short running length every week, it has too many characters to try to live up to.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Saying all that, I will miss the show. It did ride an early wave of all things "Tres Brooklyn"

No offense, but Brooklyn was a thing LONG before Girls.

I know these characters are supposed to be somewhat entitled and oblivious, but the fact that they just walked right into the restaurant kitchen and had their argument there...that made me really uncomfortable.

Wait. Jesse and Adam started sleeping together only after Adam and Hannah had broken up, right? Or am I not remembering correctly?

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post

No offense, but Brooklyn was a thing LONG before Girls.
    How long has it been a thing as far as marketing the look, the cuisine, and general trendiness in other places?

I think I knew it was the place to be for artists making a living when everyone else did particularly Williamsburg.. but I didn't know it was a thing (something to be replicated) until Girls and when the Barefoot Contessa said so. lol 'Cause the Barefoot Contessa says something it is gospel. That's where I got the "Tres Brooklyn" phrase from.. and then of course I took note. All those restaurants and cafe's in Paris advertising themselves as Tres Brooklyn. Then came shows like Girls, The Outs, 2 Broke Girls, Broad City....
    But will you find me if Neil makes me a tree? - Tori.
    Heck yea I will, grrrl. You go be that tree, henny!

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Wait. Jesse and Adam started sleeping together only after Adam and Hannah had broken up, right? Or am I not remembering correctly?
    I think there was a bit of time between Jessa and Adam hooking up.
    Jessa has to be the most painful character arc to watch, now. She was this super intriguing person with all these wonderful, alternative ideas about life (even if some were awful).
    If someone only had this season to judge her on you'd never know that.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I think my favorite Girls moment is in "All Adventurous Women Do" (season one) when Marnie comes home to find Hannah dancing in her room, after learning that Elijah is gay, and they bond over it, then dance together. I love their chemistry in that scene... maybe the last time in the whole series when Marnie wasn't basically awful?
    My favorite moment was Shosh trying to lose her virginity and how unbelievably difficult it was... then Ray comes in and Shosh, ever the defeatist, tells him she's a virgin expecting him to run out the door and then he, I think I remember, tells her it is a big responsibility ... and then is like.. oh, what the hell. lol Does he say something like.. "I'm prepared for that responsibility" or something?
    I just thought it was the most comical scene ever. Thank God for Ray, right?

After a few mediocre or not-quite-fully-baked episodes, I feel like we got back on track last night.

Tonight's episode actually made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    How long has it been a thing as far as marketing the look, the cuisine, and general trendiness in other places?

I think I knew it was the place to be for artists making a living when everyone else did particularly Williamsburg.. but I didn't know it was a thing (something to be replicated) until Girls and when the Barefoot Contessa said so. lol 'Cause the Barefoot Contessa says something it is gospel. That's where I got the "Tres Brooklyn" phrase from.. and then of course I took note. All those restaurants and cafe's in Paris advertising themselves as Tres Brooklyn. Then came shows like Girls, The Outs, 2 Broke Girls, Broad City....
    At least a decade.

hmmmmm. what's going to happen in the last 3 episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    At least a decade.
    Yeah. I mean, Williamsburg was already established as the hipster enclave in the early 00's. By the end of the decade, it was already ridiculously expensive and the artists who weren't rolling in it moved on over to Bushwick. Now I hear that Bushwick is already pricing people out ( it was much cheaper than W-Burg when I lived there 7 years ago). So as far as Brooklyn being "a thing", I remember thinking when Girls came out that they were already a little past the expiration date.

Btw, I caught up with the show and have to say that Shosh's Japanese episodes were perfect. That character BELONGS there. I wouldn't mind an entire spin-off that involves her moving back. She's the only character that, for me, seems to be growing. I loved when she was talking about how sick she was of the rest of the girls. I thought it was clever because I assumed that it was also a nod and a wink to the fact that that "they" ( show runners) knew the audience was getting sick of the girls, while also acting as sort of a "release" for the audience while also benefiting the show: we could vent through Shosh, which then gave them time ( after acknowledging that everyone had gotten so unlikeable) to try to change course.

However, with this season, it seems as if that's not going to happen. I'm watching because I enjoy the show, but I never thought we'd be this close to the series finale with everything being so loose, messy and pretty much aimless.

Last edited by Adam; 03-28-2017 at 05:22 AM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I thought last episode was HILARIOUS and I died laughing the whole time, but the show is basically called "Elijah!" now. Which tbh i'm ok with.

I'm basically ok with Elijah running around in his undies. Lol.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down