Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lena Dunham's Girls

Looking at that picture, it struck me they've all got more or less the same hair colour and style too. No blondes, redheads, curly, black or short-haired girls in Brooklyn, either. Mid-mouse brown straight long hair folks only. It must be a Thing. An aesthetic. I have the horrible feeling someone somewhere thinks it's aspirational. I hate that.

Carol, are your writer friends conscious of the racial make-up of their characters? I mean, is a deliberate choice because they think TV only wants scripts about lily-white folks, or do you think they just subconsciously default to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    NO SHE DIDN'T. ARE YOU SERIOUS. OMG.
    Well, I'm absolutely sure she didn't intend to be offensive. It's just that turds are brown and Obama is too. You know. Some people are just LOOKING to be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    Well, I'm absolutely sure she didn't intend to be offensive. It's just that turds are brown and Obama is too. You know. Some people are just LOOKING to be offended.
    I mean. No. Just...no.

I mean. No. Just...no.
    Do you think she's trying to be hipster-edgy? I only ask because THAT SHOW and what kind of moron would DO that?

Do you think she's trying to be hipster-edgy? I only ask because THAT SHOW and what kind of moron would DO that?
    Probably.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    Carol, do your writer friends conscious of the racial make-up of their characters? I mean, is a deliberate choice because they think TV only wants scripts about lily-white folks, or do you think they just subconsciously default to it?
    I definitely think it's partly a subconscious thing and partly there's a fear, among white writers creating non-white characters, of bungling it up in some way that offends people. I was left feeling confused and wondering what was going through her head when I saw she had written a role that sounded uncannily like me, down to personality and school and everything.... only her name was Caitlin and she was blonde.

Kari, you make a good point with casting - you don't always need to go out of your way to "explain" or "justify" your character's race, they can just as easily be cast in a role that doesn't mention race at all. That's the whole point. *glares at Lena Dunham.*

Quote Originally Posted by Carhole View Post
    I definitely think it's partly a subconscious thing and partly there's a fear, among white writers creating non-white characters, of bungling it up in some way that offends people. I was left feeling confused and wondering what was going through her head when I saw she had written a role that sounded uncannily like me, down to personality and school and everything.... only her name was Caitlin and she was blonde.
    I see, Caithole. I see.

Good turnout at the Joanna Newsom cosplay convention this year huh.

eta: I'd legit like to know. Do people honest to god send out casting calls describing characters as specifically white on a regular basis? Because LOL. I sort of expect it but god.

According to the Jez article, they certainly specify the races of the help. Help isn't white, just so you know.

Kari, you make a good point with casting - you don't always need to go out of your way to "explain" or "justify" your character's race, they can just as easily be cast in a role that doesn't mention race at all. That's the whole point. *glares at Lena Dunham.*
    It IS the whole point! As we transition to a more color blind, even-keeled society (well, we can at least pretend that blatant racism isn't back in vogue), there's NO REASON why the "most popular girl at school who dates the football player" can't be Chinese, no reason why the "Super nerdy guy who can't get a date" can't be African American, etc. It's all about context, too. When I wrote a play about evangelicals in rural Nebraska...I wasn't going to cast black actors in that. You know? But if it was evangelicals in NYC? Alabama? Then yes. You have to respect the demographics of PLACE. And if place=Brooklyn? Holy shit.

I really do get why writers don't want to write roles specifically for blacks, hispanics, etc. if they are - especially if they are - white. Any lapse in realism/accidental stereotyping would be pounced on relentlessly. You've got to do your research and be sensitive in your portrayals. That doesn't mean, however, you have an excuse to whitewash your casts entirely.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I have nothing to say about the whitewashing that hasn't already been said. But I do feel the need to say this: what the hell is with that girl second from the left? Why is she wearing sweater leggings and strappy sandals? That is horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Whappo View Post

eta: I'd legit like to know. Do people honest to god send out casting calls describing characters as specifically white on a regular basis? Because LOL. I sort of expect it but god.
    Yes.

You have to respect the demographics of PLACE.
    To an extent, but I think that can go too far. I don't care, for example, that Idris Elba got to play a Norse god (cool beans!), but some Thor fans thought it was "wrong" to cast a black man in such a role. Ha! Okay, comic nerds!

According to the Jez article, they certainly specify the races of the help. Help isn't white, just so you know.
    It's interesting that they also mention the diversity of The Office and Parks, because something that's a LITTLE OFF to me is that Indian Americans tend to fill the role of zany, kooky airheads on sitcoms. Mindy Kaling and Aziz Ansari are two of the best actors in US comedy television right now, and I know even casting actors of Indian or Pakistani descent is a massive leap forward for primetime, but I'm fearful of the kind of comedy tokenism that could plague actors for years to come (remember Outsourced, the short-lived and incredibly woopsy-daisy show whose central conceit was that EVERY CHARACTER was the funny South Asian, except for the white guy who played straight to them?).

To an extent, but I think that can go too far. I don't care, for example, that Idris Elba got to play a Norse god (cool beans!), but some Thor fans thought it was "wrong" to cast a black man in such a role. Ha! Okay, comic nerds!
    Oh yeah, I remember that. Some people managed to get exercised about the black Roman soldier in Centurion too, even though that had some basis in actual history given the Roman Empire did extend into North Africa.

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    It's interesting that they also mention the diversity of The Office and Parks, because something that's a LITTLE OFF to me is that Indian Americans tend to fill the role of zany, kooky airheads on sitcoms. Mindy Kaling and Aziz Ansari are two of the best actors in US comedy television right now, and I know even casting actors of Indian or Pakistani descent is a massive leap forward for primetime, but I'm fearful of the kind of comedy tokenism that could plague actors for years to come (remember Outsourced, the short-lived and incredibly woopsy-daisy show whose central conceit was that EVERY CHARACTER was the funny South Asian, except for the white guy who played straight to them?).
    That is a frustrating element of this "transition" or whatever you want to call it. Often when you do see non-white, cis, hetero, able-bodied characters, they are neutered and/or relegated to side roles, but the show still gets praised for including them at all. I remember when Glee first came out, it was one of the worst offenders for patting itself on the back for its diverse cast. Only it was all so disingenuous because the main plot instantly zeroed in on the white hetero couple.

Anyway, the comments from the Girls writer are totally ridiculous. They are making it hard to justify watching this show, even though I love a lot of things about it. Bleh.

I do wonder what it is about Girls that has crystallized all these criticisms about race and privilege. I mean, when I watch mainstream entertainment, I do it under the assumption that 80% of the people involved are just there either because they're ridiculously attractive ("white" for most studios, I'm sure) or they know someone in the business. I wonder if it's because no one really saw this show coming and it feels like it was thrown in everyone's faces.
    Last edited by Savannah; 04-19-2012 at 07:26 PM.