Thread: Night of Hunters

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Night of Hunters

TORI AMOS
    NIGHT OF HUNTERS

(DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON)
    Released: September 2011
    Chart: UK No.27 / US No. 24

I think Night of Hunters is a compilation of experiences that Mark & I have had for over 16 years... We're still together, knock on wood. And we work together & we play together. And we're trying to be parents together. And it's difficult sometimes when you have to be the grown-ups. ... So the song cycle in a way, I would say, I understand the man and woman very well in it. It's not exactly a play by play of me & Husband, but there is a bit of us in there here & there.

______

______

Sin Palabras thread

Classical Inspirations

Reviews, Interviews, Live Performances

Fan reactions

Pre-release news thread

_____

What was the tentative title? Night Sweats or something like that?
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Restless Night

Banned
    The artwork, concept, and videos for this album are so fucking lol-worthy. It's funny that this project doesn't get as much shit visually as Midwinter did, because it's every bit as ridiculous. Is that pic of her standing in front of the Georgian an offically released shot? It looks fucking crazy.

Also, I think it's so incredibly cynical for Tori to pretend this album is about *marriage issues* and offer up some fake-narrative about her relationship to satisfy fans need for personal revelation. So tacky and sad.

Anyway, it's all a shame because the music itself is more interesting than what she's been doing on the last few albums.

i think the visual of this album, and the concept is one of her strongest in years, shows she's putting in a bit more effort.

spring summer fall winter endlesswant's Avatar
    Im not crazy about the album cover, but I love the rest of the visuals in the cd booklet. I fell in love with Night of Hunters again this weekend. It's lovely. Very odd. But lovely

The thing about this record is that its a collaboration more so than her previous albums, so I don't think it's an indication that her future releases will be good. The music was written already, and Shenale did the instrumentation, etc. The lyrics aren't that great, so we'll probably get AATS2, 3 and 4 in the future. The most positive aspect of this album is that Tori's voice isn't entirely baby, and she does reach some deep notes. Whatever kind of sound Tori goes for in the future, if she doesn't change her singing method, it'll still sound terrible (this is why Sin Palabras is so good, because T isn't ruining it with her voice). Having said all this, she might once again work with a new team, collaborate greatly, and come out with something strong. The artwork, on the other hand, will keep getting more embarrassing. There's no doubt about that. As much as I like Tash's voice, enough of her and Tori's family in general.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Just for kicks, someone should include Tori's (or tori's) Amazon "detailed concept" dribble here.

Yeah, the images weren't all terrible.

This should have been the album cover. It's a gorgeous shot.

Banned
    It's a good publicity shot. It looks nice and has some atmosphere and she doesn't look completely stupid with the posing and photoshop like the others from that shoot.

But in the context of the album's alleged themes, it's totally irrelevant. Listen to Tori describe the Boys for Pele artwork here, and the amount of symbology and thought that went into it: (from 16:19 to 18:10)

The NOH shot above is just serviceable, it's not inspiring or interesting. But I don't want to derail the thread, this thread should be for people who enjoyed NOH or have constructive criticism.

But tell us how you really feel, NUHN.

Quote Originally Posted by NUHN View Post
    The artwork, concept, and videos for this album are so fucking lol-worthy. It's funny that this project doesn't get as much shit visually as Midwinter did, because it's every bit as ridiculous. Is that pic of her standing in front of the Georgian an offically released shot? It looks fucking crazy.

Also, I think it's so incredibly cynical for Tori to pretend this album is about *marriage issues* and offer up some fake-narrative about her relationship to satisfy fans need for personal revelation. So tacky and sad.

Anyway, it's all a shame because the music itself is more interesting than what she's been doing on the last few albums.
    Tori hasn't had decent album art that relates to the album since Scarlet's Walk. After the awfulness of Midwinter Graces, the fact that I wasn't embarrassed by most of these pictures was a major step in the right direction.

I don't think Tori was pretending that the album was related to marriage issues, I just think this album is related to issues in the past, not things that happened from 2009-2011. The way the album's story progresses from "tori" (ugh) dealing with personal issues, then having her mind expanded and realizing she has to move beyond her personal life and tackle "bigger" problems/issues makes me think she's singing about something that happened in between TVAB and SW and made Tori shift her writing style to dealing more directly with political/religious topics. Tori's also talked about exploring with heavy duty drugs much less since Tash was born, and although she could definitely still be doing whatever she wanted, it makes sense that her mescaline/ayhuascha/peyote days are largely behind her, meaning Cactus Practice would be coming from past experience as well.

The music on this album is leagues above TBK/ADP/AATS and it's the only time since SW a concept of Tori's has even somewhat worked on an album. Overall, that's what really matters (plus the tour, which was amazing), and her interviews or promo photos are just extra entertainment.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Just for kicks, someone should include Tori's (or tori's) Amazon "detailed concept" dribble here.
    It's in the first post, under the spoiler.

Now that NOH has been out for seven months, what do people think of it now?

I think it has lovely moments, but like her other recent releases, it's a lovely 10 track album stretched too thin.

Night of Hunters is a great album for what it is, but it's not an album that I go to when I want to listen to Tori Amos.