Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Euro if you want to - a general European news and politics thread

edit.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Relieved. Another disaster avoided. Netherlands and France are still in the sane zone, now hopefully Germany will follow that example.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    The only extreme right party in Germany, the AfD, is at 9% right now. Those are 9% too much, for sure. But we are far from a situation where an extreme right party could be part of the government. I am still hoping for a left-left-green coalition like in Berlin. But that probably won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Relieved. Another disaster avoided. Netherlands and France are still in the sane zone, now hopefully Germany will follow that example.
    yeah, I hope so too. I watched the Le Pen saga with the same level of anxious interest as I did Brexit.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malike-pakile View Post
    The only extreme right party in Germany, the AfD, is at 9% right now. Those are 9% too much, for sure. But we are far from a situation where an extreme right party could be part of the government. I am still hoping for a left-left-green coalition like in Berlin. But that probably won't happen.

Wilders only holds 13% or so over here, though over here that means he is the second biggest party.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I am so mad at this. They're the third biggest party now! 13% nationwide, and 21(!) in certain areas of Eastern Germany. Wtf is wrong with people.

Yeah, this is very scary and saddening.

Projections show Austria going rightward.

VIENNA — Austria’s conservatives and right-wing populists surged to victory in Sunday’s parliamentary election, according to early projections, heralding a tectonic shift in the country’s politics after more than a decade under a centrist coalition.

The Austrian People’s Party (ÖVP) finished first with 31.7 percent and the Social Democrats (SPÖ) second with 26.9 percent. The right-wing Freedom Party (FPÖ) placed third with 26 percent, the projections showed.

The results, if confirmed, should clear the way for a right-leaning coalition and vault the ÖVP’s 31-year-old leader, Sebastian Kurz, into the office of chancellor, making him Europe’s youngest head of government.

“This is our chance for real change,” Kurz told his supporters after the results were announced. “There is much to do. It’s time for a new political style, time to create a new political culture.”

The rightward shift, coming less than a month after the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) won nearly 13 percent of the German vote, illustrates the continued potency of the refugee crisis in European politics, a message that will resonate across the EU.

A right-wing coalition in Austria would join Hungary’s Viktor Orbán and Poland’s Law and Justice (PiS) government in demanding Europe pursue tougher policies on borders, refugees and migration.

Beyond migration, the Freedom Party shares many of the Euroskeptic positions held by governments in Central Europe and has even suggested Austria join the loose coalition known as the Visegrad Group, which includes the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland.