Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro if you want to - a general European news and politics thread

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Yeay Nobel Peace prize.

Meanwhile, in Greece:

Europe unites in protest against austerity.

It appears to be kind of a big deal!

Guess who's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack! *drumroll please*

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    I suspect this is exactly what Monti wants, to scare people into keeping him when they finally get a say in the matter...

Amsterdam is to create "Scum villages" where nuisance neighbours and anti-social tenants will be exiled from the city and rehoused in caravans or containers with "minimal services" under constant police supervision.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-villages.html

That's wonderful! I wonder what constitutes as anti-social behaviour to these people. Theft? Vandalism? Homophobia? Racism? Sexism? Ugliness?

Aren't "anti-social" behaviours caused by a lack of social awareness? Moving these people somewhere far away isn't going to solve the problem. Educating people and providing jobs will likely do a better job at "correcting" criminals than exiling them to Siberia will.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Ah here, read more than the one article as it's a little more complex than that, and certainly more than just "nuisance neighbours" indicates and certainly not making "villages" either. And educating them is exactly the point, they're not just moving them elsewhere, as that's exactly what happens in other cities.

[via the guardian article on it]

According to Boer, the villages are not for "the regular nuisance between two neighbours where one has the stereo too loud on Saturday night" but "people who are extremely violent and intimidating and in a clear situation where a victim is being repeatedly harassed".

Those deemed guilty of causing "extreme havoc" will be evicted and placed in temporary homes of a "basic" nature, including converted shipping containers in industrial areas of the city. "We call it a living container," says Boer. Housing antisocial tenants in these units, which have showers and kitchens and have been used as student accommodation, will ensure that they are not "rewarded" by being relocated to better accommodation.

[...]

It would be more accurate to call them "scum houses" than scum villages, says Boer, "because we don't want to put more than one of these families in the same area". After up to six months in these houses, scattered around the city, the tenants will be found permanent homes. The city government anticipates moving around 10 families a year into this programme, which starts in 2013.

The temporary dwellings will be heavily policed, but antisocial tenants will also have access to doctors, social workers and parole officers. "They are taken care of so the whole situation is not going to repeat at the new house they are in," says Boer

As for whether or not I actually agree with the policy, that's another thing. It's definitely controversial to force a household to move to what is almost a "house arrest" sort of situation.

However, it's better than what could happen elsewhere - problem households are just evicted by landlords and either just move elsewhere without having the problem addressed, just moved, or end up homeless.

It seems to be more of a case where each problem household is given a 6 month intensive focus to try and address the problem, then finding them somewhere new to live. Is that a better solution?

What's troubling is that entire families will be moved out. Also, shouldn't "extremely violent" people be imprisoned, not moved around?

There's a great project happening right now in Canada called Here at Home. It follows homeless individuals who have trouble keeping their homes. There's a short biography and video documenting each person. Very interesting and eye opening. http://athome.nfb.ca/#/athome
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Millionaire Depardieuski: Russia is a "great democracy", yeeeeeeeeeeah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The French actor, who has said he is leaving France in protest at a tax increase on the super-rich, has now received his Russian passport, possibly directly from the hands of President Vladimir Putin.

The two men, who enjoy a warm friendship, met in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, ostensibly to talk about the release of a film in which Depardieu, 64, plays the wild, debauched Russian monk Rasputin. Mr Putin’s spokesman said the actor “used the opportunity” to pick up his new documents.

In a letter to Russian journalists last week explaining why he was taking Russian citizenship, Depardieu wrote of his “love” for Mr Putin and called Russia a “great democracy”. It is unclear whether he will actually live permanently in Russia, and thus become eligible for a 13 per cent flat income tax rate. He has said that Moscow is too big a metropolis for him and he would prefer to live in the countryside.

That photo should be captioned: "Rapist embraces Murderer!"

Well, he is a drunken, half-senile fool. Apparently Brigitte Bardot is threatening to follow him. Ajadkjdslkjd. The total and utter hilarity of it. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    Well, he is a drunken, half-senile fool. Apparently Brigitte Bardot is threatening to follow him. Ajadkjdslkjd.
    Yeah but of course in her case, it's about France's cruel treatment of circus elephants. Cruel as in, wanting to put down two poor, sick elephants who have TB.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1233051

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Yeah but of course in her case, it's about France's cruel treatment of circus elephants. Cruel as in, wanting to put down two poor, sick elephants who have TB.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1233051
    Well, of course it makes total sense to move to Russia, where they don't even have human rights let alone animal ones, to protest (dubious) animal rights in France. I really don't think either of them have thought this whole 'Move to Russia' thing through, do you?

Thinking about it though, Russia does have lots of neo-nazis and I believe Bardot does tend to the far right, so maybe that's the draw?

I think you've nailed it.

I think soon we should be having THE CITIZEN OF THE WORLD thread to talk about the passports of Gérard Depardieu

Now that he is residing in Belgium and has been granted a Russian passport by Putin, he said to the Sao Paulo daily O Estado:
    "I am a citizen of the world and if Brazil desires one day to give me a passport, I would accept of course"

(Sorry the link is in French)