Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Being a Parent is hard...

"Oh crap," is Garion's favorite phrase, too. Extremely rude, extremely argumentative, doesn't have much interest in anything that's said to him at home. He does well in class most of the time, but does the chatterbox thing once in a while there, too. Basically X and G are pretty similar right now. It could be a 7 year old thing, like you said! Whatever the case, man am I tired of it.

Probably a boy thing. Most boys tend to be full of punk.

So this is what I have to look forward to (Jacob is 14 months and only just CRAWLING and says about 3 words)

er.... surprise! maybe you'll get lucky and have one of the ones that stay sweet.

^^

Stay sweet! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahaha!

So what have you guys said about death to your kids? Have they asked?
    I really found myself struggling when our cat died last week. I guess part of the problem is I don't really believe one way or another in an afterlife, heaven, angels, ect., so it's hard for me to comfort Nate in that way. I let Nate know that what ever he believes is fine with me. And that no one really knows, we're all just guessing.
    Not very comforting, huh?

Icon15

Depends on the kid/age. I'm not against using heaven or "a better place" when trying to relate to kids about death. It's a hard topic to discuss, and their little minds sometimes have a hard time handling it. Heaven or "a better place" kind of fits in with the theory I've used with my daughter, which revolves around spirit. We talk about spirit a lot. Such as: We have spirit in us, just like everything else does. When we die, the spirit leaves us, but the spirit doesn't die. It stays. It goes on to be something else, or travels somewhere else, or maybe it sticks around and that's why we see or feel XYZ. Etc. When Whitney died, we talked about how it was good that her body died because she was in so much pain, and now she wasn't in pain anymore. She wasn't in pain, but she was still with us in spirit, and we had so many good memories of her.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Barb.

Thank you.

Nate has always been into the thought of "spirit." And just a couple weeks ago we talked about how energy can not be created or destroyed and it kind of conformed it even more for him.
    When Boy died we talked a little about Heaven. I told him that if there is a pet Heaven I'm sure Boy Kitty is there now and when we die I hope we get to see him again in our Heaven, and he said "Yeah, what kind of Heaven would that be without our pets!"

^^I found a very helpful book for my son when his great-grandmother died. It's called Lifetimes. It talks about how everyone is born and they live for a certain amount of time. Sometimes it is a long time and sometimes it is short. People get sick and sometimes they get better and sometimes they don't. But no matter how long, everyone is born, has a lifetime, and then dies. I found it very helpful in that we are not religious and it still had a very simple explanation.

Thanks, I will look it up!

The authors are Bryan Mellonie and Robert Ingpen. They also use plants and animals as examples so it covers both relatives/friends and pets.

We used the same spirit talk with Lucien when Sport died a few weeks ago. We told him everyone returns to the Earth and that their spirit lives on with us in our hearts and memories.

I will def. keep that book in mind however as both Kev and I have aging parents. It's for sure not the conversation I look forward to in the next few years(well hopefully at least 10 -lol-)

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    *sigh* so we're going on night 3 of Xavier being to scared to sleep.

We went to a pumpkin farm on Saturday, and part of the farm is a "Terror in the Corn" exhibit. Obviously, we are not taking the kids through it at night but they had a walking tour of the ghost town and behind the scenes of the haunted house. We did the tour, and both kids did great. Xavier was really interested and was totally fine during the tour and all through the rest of the day.

Saturday night at bedtime, he started whining and saying he couldn't sleep. He was crying and saying that everytime he closed his eyes he could see the things we saw during the tour. Even after we explained again that it was all pretend and let him read other "happy" books, nothing worked. He ended up coming into my bed at around 11:30 and sleeping with me for the night. Even then he still woke up from bad dreams twice more in the night.

Last night, he did the same thing. I had turned on a movie for him to sleep and he fell asleep fairly quickly so I turned it off. He woke up screaming about an hour later scared again. Jeff ended up having to sit with him for about an hour to help him fall back asleep. Tonight was the same thing, he read books till he started dozing off then woke up scared again so I had to sit with him.

I'm half thinking that he's just playing it up now, but then the tears and fear on his face looks real. So I just don't know and I don't know what we can do to help him understand that he's okay and safe.

Awwww, poor kid. The things you're doing sound right, just keep it up.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    . n/m
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up