Thread: Turntable suggestions?

Turntable suggestions?

So I am in need of a turntable. I have transitioned to vinyl these last several years and had a dinky record player I ended up giving to my folks. I figured it was time for something new for myself anyway.

I have no idea where to start, really. There are so many models out there. I'm looking for something that won't completely break my bank, but will spend extra/wait-to-save-up-to-get-extra to purchase something quality. That said, a $1000 turntable is just not practical for me right now.

Like most vinyl collectors, I have records of varying weights and am looking for something that would be able to play everything well, good sound quality, all that jazz.

Someone suggested 2 technics 1200mk2 ... which are no longer being made.

Any suggestions?

Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

Thanks! Still looking for suggestions if anyone else has thoughts ...

I'll second the Audio Technica AT-LP60. After initially getting this terrible starter player for 40 bucks, I knew I needed to upgrade to enjoy the vinyl experience. Also keep in mind that good speakers are key (which are also required with the turntable in this case). I use these babies for the ultimate music listening experience. I can easily plug in my turntable, and my computer to enjoy digital/vinyl versions of my music. There's of course other lower end speakers that will be fine for casual listening, but I really want to hear the differences between the digital and vinyl records I play. I've never turned the volume up over halfway, and the power is incredible.

Back to the table, it has an automated feature to start and stop it, switch between 33rpm and 45rpm, and 7"/12" settings. Nice plastic cover to prevent dust... I've never had any issues with it. Great starter player and worth investing.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I got myself a Technics SL1200 MK5 from eBay for Christmas about a year and a half ago and LOVE it. It was about $600. The cartridge I bought last summer was around $40. That's an Audio Technica cartridge, and my pre-amp (~$80) is also made by them. It's a lot to research and consider!

It's worth it to get a nice deck. There's nothing inherently wrong with the cheaper USB ones, and I do still occasionally use my Sony to convert exclusive things to mp3... but I think once you hear the difference on a nicer deck, you can't really ever go back.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with the cheaper USB ones
    Well, they'll get the job done, but ideally you want a turntable with an adjustable counterweight. Otherwise you're wearing down the grooves on your records every time you play them.

Jake - I was interested in that AudioTechnica model too, it has great reviews and a really good price, but unfortunately it wasn't available on any of the European Amazons. They don't ship it from the US either, as apparently it doesn't work well with adaptors.

Halo - of course the SL1200 is better, just like a 7 Series BMW is better than a Civic. It's in a completely different price range, even used.

I'm so clumsy and forgetful that a SL1200 kind of turntable where you have to lift the arm on and off the record isn't for me. Actually I have a fetish for the old Technics linear arm turntables like the SL-10.

When I first got into digitising my albums I started with a USB turntable (Denon DP200) which is actually fine, it saves as MP3 files on a memory stick. And if your MP3 player is one of those Sony or Samsung USB stick types, this is the most direct way of getting vinyl straight onto your mp3 player. But if you want to manipulate on your computer it's an intermediate step.

The above proved not hi-fi enough for me so I got a Behringer USB connection box (UCA 202) to take the signal from my hi-fi to my laptop via USB. Start up Audacity and you're up and running. Wonderful, although you may want to have a separate (cheap) laptop just for music/hi-fi. Mine lives on top of the amp and is only used for music.
    Last edited by baroquepopfan; 06-13-2012 at 07:23 PM.