Thread: I am nobody's mother and never will be

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar

I am nobody's mother and never will be

An interesting piece on CNN today.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see quite a number of supportive comments in the discussion section!
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

That was a great piece.

lol sweet

Fabulous contribution. When do we expect the spam to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by SpankFirm View Post
    lol sweet

You were brave to read the comments, Erin. I've gotten to the point that I'm afraid to even scroll that far on any website.

The article highlights something that really irks me about breeders' attitudes toward child-free people: that if you're child-free, you must be unhappy, barren, incomplete, or lonely. It's funny because I get the same argument lobbed at me by Christians for being an atheist. I think some people are too thick to realize that there are more paths to happiness and fulfillment than the one they're on personally.

It's also nice for the author to mention the fact that she's happy for her friends who are happy to have kids or become parents. My sister and I are each leaning toward being child-free but we both actually like kids. A lot of people (most of them other women) unfairly assume that my sister hates children because she's a woman who chooses not to have her own. It's such bullshit.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Definitely bullshit. On the flip side of that, though, I hate when women who don't like children are vilified. It's bad enough that I don't want to have kids, but heaven forbid I don't at least like them! (I am definitely not saying you're saying this! Just a general comment.) I'm happy for anyone who's happy to have kids and I don't want to dropkick babies or anything, but I really don't like children very much and I don't like being around them. In a lot of people's eyes, that makes me some sort of soulless demon. I've gotten used to pretending I like them. I mean, of course I'll be nice to kids if they're around, but I mean more like fake-cooing at pictures of babies and the like.

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    My sister calls me " the baby hater". Which is completely far from the truth. She says she is joking but I question how much she actually is. She recently had her first baby, so she is still on the I just had a baby high. She recently texted me about how I am "so missing out on having a baby",that it is the best thing EVER and I NEED to have a baby!!!. It reminds me of my mom who basically demanded I have kids shortly after I got married "to give her the first grandchildren" since I was the first to be married. Sadly, my mom died before she saw any of her grand kids.

(Spoiler due to length, I started to ramble )

This article is really great. A really good friend of mine just had a baby a few months ago, and I love that little baby to pieces, but that doesn't mean I want my own. You can like kids and not want to have your own.

Quote Originally Posted by all these years View Post
    A woman in the past telling me that she didn't understand any woman who wouldn't have a child and that is what we are here for and have a womb.
    Ugh. I'd just have to tell her that I was sorry for her, that there was so little of value in her mind and life that the only thing she could accomplish in life is to give birth, which a huge portion of the world is capable of doing with little fanfare. Don't get me wrong -- I understand that there are many women who want to have children, even long to have them. My mother (an incredibly intelligent woman who could probably have done anything with her life) told me that being a mother was the job she really wanted, and I don't think less of her for that. She has a wide variety of interests and talents, and she's a great mother. (At least I think so!) But I don't think she'd ever say that having a kid was the entire reason for her existence.

Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post

Well, at least he/it garnered a bit of interest in the article, which I recall greatly enjoying when I read it originally!
    Last edited by Churumbela; 11-30-2012 at 05:28 PM.