Thread: Gah. New NHS IVF recommendatons annoy me.

Gah. New NHS IVF recommendatons annoy me.

So there's some report today in the UK that makes recommendations that MORE women should be allowed to have IVF on the NHS. Specifically, it recommends raising the age limit for free treatment - currently 39 - to 42. There are other recommendations which I don't agree with - actually all of them because I don't see infertility as such an urgent need in an overburdened, overpopulated planet as diseases which kill and disable - but the age recommendation rankles the most, for a couple of reasons:

- Infertility is not a disease when you are in your forties no matter how you arrived there. It is an absolutely natural and inevitable part of ageing. Female fertility declines rapidly after 35, we all know this and as it declines, so pregnancies become more likely to be medically problematic and the fetus more likely to suffer from various congenital problems. I fail to see why we need to medicalize some idiot wanting kids when their body is simply too old for it.

- The NHS is already stretched to breaking point, we have, typically of western Europe, a rapidly ageing population putting an immense burden that we are already failing to meet on medical resources. To decide to spend more money so a procedure with a mere 10% chance of success in your forties seems profoundly selfish and egregiously wasteful to me.

Of course, if you want to spend your forties pursuing what your body doesn't want to do, nothing should stop you but I'd argue you have a responsibility to pay for your own treatment. And some people do, apparently spending silly amounts of money on trying and failing to produce a mini-me:

Justine Bold, now 43, was told she was too old to have IVF on the NHS. When she was turning 40 she decided to seek the treatment privately and has spent over £33,000 on fertility treatment with no success as yet.

"I think I might have one more go in me. It's been a long journey. It's very hard.
    For the amount of money involved, she could have easily adopted from overseas and with much less grief and fewer medical side-effects.

I couldn't agree more. Our elderly neighbour suffers from painful varicose veins and the local NHS Trust won't pay for treatment beyond compression stockings. To see her struggling along and then read about recommendations that anyone who quite fancies a pop at some IVF should enjoy financial entitlement to same makes me go Thoreau all over and consider witholding my taxes.

Oh god, that pisses me off. Having your mobility limited and being in constant pain should be a priority, not someone's emotional 'pain' from not having kids because they left it too late or got a dose of the clap left untreated when they were younger. That really pushes my buttons. The thing is, it's SO short-sighted. People who can't get about end up putting burden on other social services. Mobile people can do their own shopping and other necessary errands. People who can't end up with having to have carers in to do it.

Oh, great, public funding for designer cunt turds with Down's syndrome.