Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prides, Mardi Grasses, and soforth

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

Prides, Mardi Grasses, and soforth

Is there an LGBTQWERTY festival in your area? Is it triumphant/defiant/extortionate/inclusive/radical?

Birmingham, England's second largest city, is having one this weekend. I've never been before despite living here 3 years, so I'm determined to go this time. I know the Pride Trust here is plagued with financial problems and every year it nearly doesn't happen.

Birmingham is moderately well known for its Bullring Shopping Complex, which has a statue of a bull outside it:

For this year's Pride, he has a new neighbour,

D'aww, I love the Rhinestone Rhino.

I'll possibly join a walking group at London Pride again this year. It's WORLD PRIDE 2012, so I say yes, I'll do it. But only for the attention.

Last year we saw a group of ridiculously hot bears and cubs parading about with not much on and the buzz was completely ruined by one of them wearing a dead fox over his shoulders. A whole dead fox! We get it, guy, and we hope urban foxes hiss at you on the way home.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    "like a rhinestone rhino, riding out like a horse in a star-spangled rodeo..."

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    Boston's flag raising is today, which I might try to catch if I'm in...whatever part of town it's in? I hope not Fanueil Hall. I've had my fill of drunk townie bros this week. The big events are next weekend, though. Personally I find the Pride here to be a bit staid/conservative, but I guess my only point of comparison is NYC, which has always felt totally insane to me (in a good way).

Our Pride parade is pretty low-key, which I like. I'm not big on the craziness, so I usually just go to the Parade and festival at Loring Park and then head home for the day. My partner is photographing for the press though, so unless I can find someone else to go with, I might skip out this year.

The Cologne Gay Pride (actually we just call it CSD since Gay Pride is not often used in Germany) is always on the first July weekend every year and it's quite big. Round a million visitors every year and the best thing is, that the actual parade in on Sunday, but the street fest which is just 200m away from me, starts the week before on a Friday . It's so much fun, cause there are 6 or 7 gaypubs and -clubs in that street, you are hanging out with your friends all day long outside and enjoy the local beer. Political? Well, not so much. Even the conservative party is taking part during the parade the last couple of years. Probably the best days during the summer every year.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Chicago Pride is crazy. I mean, it's insane. So many people. So much booze. I might avoid it this year. But if I do go, I'll take plenty of pictures!!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Pride in NYC is my favorite holiday. It's fucking amazing. Then again, a really good friend of mine has an apt on Christopher Street so we watch from his roof and get hammered. It's the best party ever eveeerrrr. But on the street it gets crazy as hell.

I'm excited this year. Phoenix holds its pride in April (because, June in Phoenix? NO THANK YOU) but I missed it, because I was in Chicago witnessing my Aunt Angela and her partner of thirty-nine years, Lucy, as they had their civil union blessed in an absolutely gorgeous Episcopal church downtown. I figure it was worth missing Cazwell to be part of that. But, in a couple weeks, I'll be going up to Flagstaff for their pride festival. An old boss of mine, who left the company where I worked to pursue a law degree, has opened up a practice in Flag. For pride, she and her husband are giving away free powers of attorney. I'm gonna go and help get as many people set up as I can. Yay!

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Pride in NYC is my favorite holiday. It's fucking amazing. Then again, a really good friend of mine has an apt on Christopher Street so we watch from his roof and get hammered. It's the best party ever eveeerrrr. But on the street it gets crazy as hell.
    Ummm...can I come?
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    Ummm...can I come?
    Party at Kari's friend's place for NYC Pride!

This weekend is Gay Days in Orlando. We went to the Expo at the host hotel, which is three conference halls full of local and non-local businesses ranging from flavored lubes to pet rescues hawking their wares and services. (Our favorite this year was a business called Paws Care, which enlists volunteers to help care for the pets of HIV positive and AIDs patients who, for whatever reason, can no longer care for their animals). There are massive parties going on at multiple hotels in the Disney area and at several of the Disney parks, and the oldest/biggest/sleaziest club in Orlando, Parliament House (also a "hotel"), has Chaka Khan performing tomorrow night as the crowning event of the weekend.

Tomorrow during the day is when everyone puts on their red shirt and goes to Magic Kingdom. It's a spectacle, to be sure, but it's also wonderful because there are a lot of gay parents there with their children who wouldn't feel comfortable going on a "normal" day (Disney as a business is notoriously conservative and there have been many instances of heterosexual guests/families being outwardly hateful to/about gay-parent families on normal business days with no redress or repercussion).
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

This may be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how many times a year there are pride events in Florida? Are they all spread out throughout the year?

I ask because I thought it occured now, during Gay Days at the theme parks, and that was the one big annual event. But there were at least three instances last year where local gay friends said, "Oh, we're going to pride this weekend!" I guess I wasn't aware of more than one going on locally.

(Can you tell I've never been to a pride event?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how many times a year there are pride events in Florida? Are they all spread out throughout the year?

I ask because I thought it occured now, during Gay Days at the theme parks, and that was the one big annual event. But there were at least three instances last year where local gay friends said, "Oh, we're going to pride this weekend!" I guess I wasn't aware of more than one going on locally.

(Can you tell I've never been to a pride event?)
    Orlando's official Pride parade and festivities are in October because it's too hot for that nonsense in June, which is "Pride Month" in most places. That was the rationale, I believe, for having Gay Days in June, so we could have a big gay event at the same time as everyone else.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

We have our Pride in April (or the early Spring ) and I think Fort. Lauderdale has there Pride in the Fall due to the weather. If we had pride in June like the rest of the nation, people would drop down dead from the heat during the parade. Also, a lot of cities do "White Parties" which are Pride-like events-- ours is in December.
    Last edited by Banjee; 06-05-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    Party at Kari's friend's place for NYC Pride!

This weekend is Gay Days in Orlando. We went to the Expo at the host hotel, which is three conference halls full of local and non-local businesses ranging from flavored lubes to pet rescues hawking their wares and services. (Our favorite this year was a business called Paws Care, which enlists volunteers to help care for the pets of HIV positive and AIDs patients who, for whatever reason, can no longer care for their animals). There are massive parties going on at multiple hotels in the Disney area and at several of the Disney parks, and the oldest/biggest/sleaziest club in Orlando, Parliament House (also a "hotel"), has Chaka Khan performing tomorrow night as the crowning event of the weekend.

Tomorrow during the day is when everyone puts on their red shirt and goes to Magic Kingdom. It's a spectacle, to be sure, but it's also wonderful because there are a lot of gay parents there with their children who wouldn't feel comfortable going on a "normal" day (Disney as a business is notoriously conservative and there have been many instances of heterosexual guests/families being outwardly hateful to/about gay-parent families on normal business days with no redress or repercussion).
    I went last year, and will never stay in a host hotel again. We heard the dj playing until 3 a.m. every night, and were up by 6 or 7 to go to the Disney parks each day.