Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899
Results 1,471 to 1,481 of 1481

Thread: so you want an ak-47: unfs gun control or lack thereof party thread

Not to prejudge, but that guy looks like a straight-up Sovereign Citizen.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Shares of firearms companies fell thanks to Trump's winning the election, but minorities are buying guns at double the rate...for the same reason.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I have to admit, it has crossed my mind to get one.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    So the House voted to block implementation of an Obama admin order restricting gun sales to the mentally ill. I'm having some pretty mixed feelings about this one, because obviously the House is doing this as part of an escalating strategy to deregulate guns, but the original admin order was extremely flawed in my opinion.

My beef with the original order is that it's not a mental health check, it's a mechanism to force the Social Security Administration to share medical information from its recipients on disability benefits with the FBI. I have three issues with this, which are basically 1) people on benefits should have as much a right to medical privacy as people of means, so this targets poor people with mental illness and not just mentally ill people generally; 2) the FBI threw the fucking election and I don't want them near anyone's health records generally; and 3) people in gun-happy communities may stop seeking mental health treatment if they think it will impact their ability to get a gun. As someone from gun country, I already know of two people who desperately need mental healthcare who are eschewing it because they're worried it'll stop them from getting a firearm. It's stupid, because people should prioritize their mental health over their fancy blast-toy, but it is how some people think.

Also, the coverage for this issue in media has been really ugly in that, despite the fact that gun deaths are about twice as likely to be suicides as homicides, the emphasis has been on "oh no mass shooters" and not on mentally ill people killing themselves.

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar

I also have mixed feelings, after reading why the ACLU was against the Obama order. Basically, if you have a representative payee because you're not able to handle your own finances, it would be assumed that you also shouldn't own a firearm. I get why people might think that sounds like a good idea, but you can't assume that because someone has difficulty with one task, that they can't handle a completely different one.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    It also grates on me that the order is basically "mental health screening but only if you're poor and on SSI/SSDI".

You're exactly right, Perky.

I say that a lot.

Barack Hussein Obama

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2974465

When is Trump going to do something about all these white male terrorists so I can feel safe again?

Yep.

Barack Hussein Obama