Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1487

Thread: so you want an ak-47: unfs gun control or lack thereof party thread

Not to prejudge, but that guy looks like a straight-up Sovereign Citizen.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Shares of firearms companies fell thanks to Trump's winning the election, but minorities are buying guns at double the rate...for the same reason.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I have to admit, it has crossed my mind to get one.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    So the House voted to block implementation of an Obama admin order restricting gun sales to the mentally ill. I'm having some pretty mixed feelings about this one, because obviously the House is doing this as part of an escalating strategy to deregulate guns, but the original admin order was extremely flawed in my opinion.

My beef with the original order is that it's not a mental health check, it's a mechanism to force the Social Security Administration to share medical information from its recipients on disability benefits with the FBI. I have three issues with this, which are basically 1) people on benefits should have as much a right to medical privacy as people of means, so this targets poor people with mental illness and not just mentally ill people generally; 2) the FBI threw the fucking election and I don't want them near anyone's health records generally; and 3) people in gun-happy communities may stop seeking mental health treatment if they think it will impact their ability to get a gun. As someone from gun country, I already know of two people who desperately need mental healthcare who are eschewing it because they're worried it'll stop them from getting a firearm. It's stupid, because people should prioritize their mental health over their fancy blast-toy, but it is how some people think.

Also, the coverage for this issue in media has been really ugly in that, despite the fact that gun deaths are about twice as likely to be suicides as homicides, the emphasis has been on "oh no mass shooters" and not on mentally ill people killing themselves.

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar

I also have mixed feelings, after reading why the ACLU was against the Obama order. Basically, if you have a representative payee because you're not able to handle your own finances, it would be assumed that you also shouldn't own a firearm. I get why people might think that sounds like a good idea, but you can't assume that because someone has difficulty with one task, that they can't handle a completely different one.

It also grates on me that the order is basically "mental health screening but only if you're poor and on SSI/SSDI".

You're exactly right, Perky.

I say that a lot.

Barack Hussein Obama

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2974465

When is Trump going to do something about all these white male terrorists so I can feel safe again?

Yep.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    So the House voted to block implementation of an Obama admin order restricting gun sales to the mentally ill. I'm having some pretty mixed feelings about this one, because obviously the House is doing this as part of an escalating strategy to deregulate guns, but the original admin order was extremely flawed in my opinion.

My beef with the original order is that it's not a mental health check, it's a mechanism to force the Social Security Administration to share medical information from its recipients on disability benefits with the FBI. I have three issues with this, which are basically 1) people on benefits should have as much a right to medical privacy as people of means, so this targets poor people with mental illness and not just mentally ill people generally; 2) the FBI threw the fucking election and I don't want them near anyone's health records generally; and 3) people in gun-happy communities may stop seeking mental health treatment if they think it will impact their ability to get a gun. As someone from gun country, I already know of two people who desperately need mental healthcare who are eschewing it because they're worried it'll stop them from getting a firearm. It's stupid, because people should prioritize their mental health over their fancy blast-toy, but it is how some people think.

Also, the coverage for this issue in media has been really ugly in that, despite the fact that gun deaths are about twice as likely to be suicides as homicides, the emphasis has been on "oh no mass shooters" and not on mentally ill people killing themselves.
    Full disclosure: I think people who worry about their Second Amendment rights amid the kind of mental illness we face today are batshit crazy and/or selfish. I've been dealing with a mentally ill member of my extended family lately. If we had left her alone to her own devices, this would have happened:

Despite a mother’s plea, her mentally ill daughter was sold a firearm. Here’s why she sued.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/loc...=.11573333fda8

She called the police. Then ATF. After that, the FBI.

Janet Delana was desperate to stop her mentally ill adult daughter from buying another handgun.

Finally, Delana called the gun shop a few miles from her home, the one that had sold her daughter a black Hi-Point pistol a month earlier when her last disability check had arrived.

The next check was coming.

Delana pleaded.

Her daughter had been in and out of mental hospitals, she told the store manager, and was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. She had tried to kill herself. Her father had taken away the other gun, but Delana worried that her daughter would go back.

“I’m begging you,” Delana said through tears. “I’m begging you as a mother, if she comes in, please don’t sell her a gun.”

Colby Sue Weathers was mentally ill, but she had never been identified as a threat to herself or others by a judge or ordered to an extended mental hospital stay — which meant she could pass the background check for her gun.Her daughter had been in and out of mental hospitals, she told the store manager, and was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. She had tried to kill herself. Her father had taken away the other gun, but Delana worried that her daughter would go back.
    She shot her father dead, but not before texting her mother to tell her that it was her fault. Her mom is going to have to remember that for the rest of her life.

Wow - what a powerful read. I'm so glad that she brought the lawsuit and they SETTLED! This could be a turning point for stores to NOT sell to the mentally ill. What a tragic awful story - thanks for sharing. It missed my newsfeed entirely.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

That's a truly terrifying and tragic story.

The fact that I'm not for the particular Obama admin rule (which it doesn't seem would have covered that situation anyway) doesn't mean I think we shouldn't do something about violent or suicidal mentally ill people getting guns. But because mental illness is so stigmatized, especially in parts of the country that have gun culture, I'm worried about methods that would discourage people from seeking mental health treatment. Because then we have people who are untreated and still have their guns.

Here's the thing Perky: I think that what this boils down to is that you're espousing the right to give my loved one the go-ahead to die with her boots on. She is a danger to herself and to others right now. I'm not so sure she and others like her can find the kind of nuanced treatment that you wish for in Donald Trump's America today.

If these people are so mentally ill that they fear treatment, we need to reach out to them and tell them that we can do better.