Page 100 of 111 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1664

Thread: so you want an ak-47: unfs gun control or lack thereof party thread

Way to get people like Perky to shut up and sit down, Dan, by calling gun enthusiasts "murderous trash." By feeding into the idea that this is a class war.

The perpetrator of this crime was (according to his brother) a multi-millionaire real estate investor who gambled incessantly and treated his girlfriend like she was trash. I'm not so sure your words are going to resonate with those who aren't members of the privileged few.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Honestly I think part of the problem is that we have multiple problems, and we tend to lump them all together when we talk about "gun violence". We lump suicides, mass shootings, domestic violence, hunting accidents, gang violence, cartel violence and police brutality into the same category of "gun deaths" when the cultural, economic and sociopolitical reasons behind all of them overlap but diverge. And if we don't even have statistics we can't address any of these. Less guns would obviously decrease all of these death statistics, but seem almost like addressing symptoms instead of roots.
    I asked for your permission to use this, I want to post it on my FB page. Message me if it is not ok, and I will take it down.

Man.... go by and read the comments on any FoxNews article on FB about this. We are so screwed as a country! How has Alex Jones's thought process managed to take over an entire nation?? How is that everyone is convinced this is some False Flag set up by the Alt Left?? Like - how many progressives do YOU know with guns?? And why can't we trust the police now? Don't "blue lives matter"?? They are so willing to believe the crazy impossible over the likely - that this guy acted alone in a heinous act of terror. It is surprising - his whiteness is the only typical characteristic of a mass shooter!

I get it psychologically - confirmation bias. I get it. But how is that half our country is truly thinking that Alex Jones has all the answers??? Especially after he came out in his divorce and literally said "ITS AN ACT FOR PUBLICITY"

This country is DONE. That was several years of wonderful hope during Obama's time but I don't see how this kind of paranoid thinking will get us anywhere.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

I honestly can’t tell anymore when I read twitter and Facebook if I’m reading real people or paid trolls and bots. About 75% of the outrageous tweets I read end up being fake profiles with stolen profile pictures and made-up names. The object is to divide and sow distrust. And it’s working.

Honestly, we have very quickly reached a point where social media has been weaponized and I don’t know what there is to be done about it. All through the past year people have been hounding @jack and @TwitterSupport, asking them to do something, and they’ve been totally silent. Their user numbers are directly related to their company’s worth, so it benefits them to turn a blind eye to potentially thousands (or millions?) of fake and troll accounts. Ditto with Facebook.

If we don’t get a handle on it, things definitely are not getting better here any time soon.

Really though? I mean - I click on their profiles and they seem like real people! I do see some bots - one who always says "Why is anyone surprised? He's been saying what he'd do for 2 years now! Imagine that - a president who actually does what they say!"

But I mean really? Is it really possible that social media has been truly weaponized? Cuz they say its the liberal's that are being paid by Soros, which is ridiculous. I protest for free my friends!!

Should we all delete our accounts?? Will that save America?

There are “influencers” out there. They start trending hashtags, like #pizzagate or #sethrich, and then use botnets to tweet those hashtags out thousands of times a minute. The purpose is to get the hashtag trending so that real people will see it, start reading it, and hopefully be swayed by it. If you see one or two nutjobs talking about something, you might say to yourself “they’re wearing tinfoil hats.” But what if 30,000 people are tweeting about it? What if it’s trending in the Facebook Top News section, on a reputable looking site that’s actually attached to someone like Alex Jones or Glenn Beck? It’s propaganda, just in the 21st century. There’s a reason propaganda is still such a popular political strategy — it works!

The recent referendum on Catalonian independence is a great example. Do you know who the top tweeters were for that topic? Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, and Russia’s RT. Why are they so invested in it? And the same bots who were for Trump and Brexit are now for Catalonian independence, and they supported Le Pen in France, and they railed against Angela Murkel in Germany. Most deplorables don’t know anything about politics outside of the US, so when you see these Twitter accounts called shit like “TrumpMomUSA” throwing their support behind Brexit and Le Pen, you have to ask what the hell is really going on.

And before anyone says, “Well what about the people who don’t use social media?” Don’t worry, companies like Sinclair Broadcasting have that covered. Watch this if you want to die a little more inside.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelle View Post
    It is surprising - his whiteness is the only typical characteristic of a mass shooter
    All races are proportionally represented in American crazy shooters, I think. Except for people of Asian descent, who are somehow overrepresented.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Yes, these are good points. Gun ownership transcends class, status, education, you name it. Almost 40% of the US population owns a gun.
    Actually, it kind of doesn't. Sure, lots of different people own a gun or two, but the majority of gun owners fit a certain mold. I'll give you a hint...they're mostly young/middle aged white dudes, Republican, not terribly educated (no college degree), that live in the south/midwest. Ooops...guess I gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    All races are proportionally represented in American crazy shooters, I think. Except for people of Asian descent, who are somehow overrepresented.
    Nope...they're mostly white guys.
    Last edited by Charles; 10-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Gun stores sell out of bump stocks after Las Vegas shooter used them.

Which goes to show that mass shootings are basically advertisements for firearms manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

The recent referendum on Catalonian independence is a great example. Do you know who the top tweeters were for that topic? Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, and Russia’s RT. Why are they so invested in it? And the same bots who were for Trump and Brexit are now for Catalonian independence, and they supported Le Pen in France, and they railed against Angela Murkel in Germany. Most deplorables don’t know anything about politics outside of the US, so when you see these Twitter accounts called shit like “TrumpMomUSA” throwing their support behind Brexit and Le Pen, you have to ask what the hell is really going on.
    I'm definitely not trying to start an argument here, nor am I expressing an opinion... but do you care to elaborate a bit more on this? I don't quite get the point you're making, and I don't really see how the Catalan question comes into play here.

Quote Originally Posted by kykeon View Post
    I'm definitely not trying to start an argument here, nor am I expressing an opinion... but do you care to elaborate a bit more on this? I don't quite get the point you're making, and I don't really see how the Catalan question comes into play here.
    My point was to elaborate on my previous post about social media being weaponized. There are fake accounts and troll accounts which are being used to shape and control a narrative. The stuff we read in trending tweets and Facebook stories isn’t necessarily how tens or hundreds of thousands of people actually feel, so long as these accounts are able to shape the discussion. It’s happened with the elections all over the world, with Black Lives Matter, with every mass shooting, with every terrorist attack... the bots and trolls come out in waves to stir up trouble because that’s how you keep people distracted and constantly at war with each other.

A majority of Americans, both Democrats and Republicans, want to at least start with common sense gun laws. But you’d never know that by reading Facebook or Twitter because every discussion is flooded with ridiculous, over the top bullshit about how all mass shooters are Democrats, this is how libtards take away your rights, etc. I’m just pointing out that these conversations often trace back to a handful of provocative accounts, and then it ripples through social media in a very precise and methodical way. It sort of poisons the way people on both sides look at and react to current events.

My point was to elaborate on my previous post about social media being weaponized. There are fake accounts and troll accounts which are being used to shape and control a narrative. The stuff we read in trending tweets and Facebook stories isn’t necessarily how tens or hundreds of thousands of people actually feel, so long as these accounts are able to shape the discussion. It’s happened with the elections all over the world, with Black Lives Matter, with every mass shooting, with every terrorist attack... the bots and trolls come out in waves to stir up trouble because that’s how you keep people distracted and constantly at war with each other.

A majority of Americans, both Democrats and Republicans, want to at least start with common sense gun laws. But you’d never know that by reading Facebook or Twitter because every discussion is flooded with ridiculous, over the top bullshit about how all mass shooters are Democrats, this is how libtards take away your rights, etc. I’m just pointing out that these conversations often trace back to a handful of provocative accounts, and then it ripples through social media in a very precise and methodical way. It sort of poisons the way people on both sides look at and react to current events.
    I thought about that all night last night. It has so many devastating consequences.

I see your point, social media & manufactured (in the true sense of the word) opinions. Something like an echo chamber (filled with algorithms and the like).

I'm still scratching my head about the Catalan thing ... that's an issue that I find very prickly and most definitely not cut & dry. And on that note, I wouldn't discard a variety of views on the matter, even if they come from sources / people that you may not regard with esteem. Say what you will about Assange, Snowden and RT (I'm all ears and I would love to hear you talk more about such sources), they are not "bots." RT definitely has a political agenda 101% of the time, but that shouldn't mean that it can't ever make a fully respectable report or express a thought-provoking opinion.

Anyway, I totally see your point about the "bots" and so on. I'm just splitting hairs about the Catalan thing

I think people who support independence in Spain should opt for a fully legal, democratic vote, rather than play into Putin's hands.

It's pretty clear that Russia has wreaked havoc not just in the US but in the UK, and tried to do so in other European countries such as France and Germany. I have no doubt that Russia has contributed to and is gleeful about the unrest in Spain.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ratic-it-seems

But it isn’t that simple. “Catexit”, like Brexit in the UK, is an incendiary issue which divides families, friends and communities in the region. For their own reasons, both the Catalan and Spanish governments have generated confrontation to distract from deep-rooted problems such as endemic corruption and unemployment. Both sides seem determined on pursuing a conflict which will do immense damage and was wholly avoidable.

The proposal to hold a referendum on independence was sprung on the Catalan parliament with virtually no notice at the begining of September. Fresh from their summer break opposition parties were kept in the dark and caught unawares. No amendments to the proposal were allowed in a debate which lasted less than half a day.

Not surprisingly, the non-nationalist parties refused to take part in the legislative farce and walked out before the vote so the new Republic, if it happens, will have been born in a half empty chamber with only MPs from the governing parties in their seats. More importantly, the missing MPs from the oppostion parties actually represent more than half the voters in the region.
    Obviously what the country needs is a real democracy with each person actually having a voice in a legitimate election.