Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: so you want an ak-47: unfs gun control or lack thereof party thread

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    unless that culture change is the other way. i need to find my source, but it's my understanding that support for current gun laws as well as gun ownership in the US has increased in the past 50 years, rather than decreased. I know that with some past events, e.g. ATF issues in Waco and Idaho, the pro-armed militia movement has gained more members. also, with the election of president obama, handgun purchases also increased. so....you know, perhaps its a bad culture change

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    unless that culture change is the other way. i need to find my source, but it's my understanding that support for current gun laws as well as gun ownership in the US has increased in the past 50 years, rather than decreased. I know that with some past events, e.g. ATF issues in Waco and Idaho, the pro-armed militia movement has gained more members. also, with the election of president obama, handgun purchases also increased. also zombies. i shit you not.

Other forces besides politics, though, explain the current boom. "There're the 'preppers," explains Parsons, "and then there's this whole Zombie Apocalypse thing."

He refers to two hot trends in popular culture.

The first is a National Geographic TV show called "Doomsday Prepers" that chronicles the preparations being made by people convinced that a doomsday of some kind is coming. A whole industry has sprung up to sell preppers survival and self-dense goods, including guns and ammo.

Then there are zombies--zombie movies, zombie comics, zombie novels, zombie TV shows. Americans' fascination with all things zombie, Parsons says, has grown to such proportions that arms manufactures now have come out with zombie-specific firearms and ammo. Products include a line of Zombie Max ammunition (slogan: "just in case") made by Hornady Manufacturing. "We can't keep it in stock," says Parsons. "It comes in a cool, colorful box with a Zombie on it."

There are more than a dozen manufacturers, says Parsons, making zombie riffles, some with a picture of a zombie on them The two position on a zombie rifle's safety, instead of being marked "safe" and "fire," are labeled "dead" and "undead."

so....you know, perhaps its culture change in the direction of stupid.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gun-s...7#.T9P4oLCJcQp

Quite possibly.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    really? zombies?

thats not even a thing shut up
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Yeah, everyone knows guns are the worst in a post-zombie world; you need a constant supply of ammo and you need to make sure every time you fire you get a headshot. Gun enthusiasts will quickly find themselves as zombie fodder.

Everybody knows when it comes to zombies, you should invest in cricket bats.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Culture of fear. It's the same thing that has people terrified of violent crime, home invasion, abduction etc. at a time when such crimes are at their statistical historic low. We're educated by our media to live in constant dread and mistrust.

A great book on that topic.

It's about twelve years old now, but I'm sure it's still pretty current.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

A gun seems to be excessive force in this situation.

http://www.kansas.com/2012/06/13/237...k=omni_popular

A motorcyclist who was shot in the chest by a motorist during a road rage incident in O’Fallon, Mo., spoke out Tuesday, asking for a grand jury to hear the case and criticizing the St. Charles County prosecutor for not filing charges.

“But for the grace of God, I would be a dead man,” the motorcyclist, Keith Randell, 49, of St. Ann, said Tuesday, reading from a statement at his attorney’s office in Clayton.

“This is the result of an aggressive driver,” Randell said. “He chose to shoot me when he was not in fear of any serious injury.”

St. Charles County prosecutor Jack Banas said Monday he would not file criminal charges against the motorist, adding the man was justified in shooting because the motorcyclist reached into his car and punched him first.

The incident happened the afternoon of May 26 at the Bryan Road exit at Interstate 70. Randell was riding with his wife on separate Harley-Davidson motorcycles, and Setchfield was driving with his wife and 9-year-old grandson and a dog in a Mazda 6 sedan. Each thought the other had cut them off.

Banas said the intersection is confusing but it appeared the motorcyclists had turned into the wrong lane.

Setchfield yelled at the motorcyclists, and he and Randell began arguing.

When Randell approached the car on foot, Setchfield took his semiautomatic .380-caliber handgun out of his glove box and placed it in his lap, according to a police report. They continued arguing, and Setchfield said Randell spit at him and he may have spit back. After that, Randell hit Setchfield in the face, and Setchfield then fired one shot at the motorcyclist, Banas said.

After the incident, Setchfield dropped off his wife and grandson at home before driving to the O’Fallon police station and telling them what happened.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/06/13/237...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    They'd find a way. When the demand is there and there's money to be made, people find a way.
    They already do, and that's something frequently overlooked in the gun debate. Most murders are committed with firearms illegally procured. Who's most likely to procure firearms illegally? Well that's easy... so for whom are firearms enforcement laws usually for? I don't mean the AK-47, which is relatively expensive and difficult to get hold of in the street or in gun shops. So, I think Mordecai is half-right. The NRA lobby is inspired by racism and fear, but so is the anti-gun lobby. The problem is, firearms legislation probably shouldn't be a national issue, nor a state issue. What works in DC will not work in backwater Texas, and I don't think either side should conflate the two. I do think the GOP should fuck themselves when it comes to DC gun laws, but I always feel the same for someone trying to legislate people in rural areas, too. I don't know, if I lived in Alaska or some parts of Texas, I might want high caliber firearms (and probably a good pair of running shoes) when approached with a kodiak or coyote. Also, frequently states and local officials will give special licenses to farmers to protect their crops (livestock or produce).

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Autumn's road rage post: I think everything about that situation is excessive. Road rage scares me, but at the same time, if someone punches you, is shooting them out of the question if you truly do feel for your safety? Also, are you looking for a reason to shoot someone when you have a gun in your car and then put it on your lap "just in case"? I'm not saying the shooter should be put away for life, but I don't understand why charges aren't filed. Isn't it up to a jury to decide if it was excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I think everything about that situation is excessive. Road rage scares me, but at the same time, if someone punches you, is shooting them out of the question if you truly do feel for your safety? Also, are you looking for a reason to shoot someone when you have a gun in your car and then put it on your lap "just in case"? I'm not saying the shooter should be put away for life, but I don't understand why charges aren't filed. Isn't it up to a jury to decide if it was excessive?
    Yeah, if I had a gun in my lap, I'd be talking so much shit and baiting people to go ahead and try to hit me. That's probably why I dont have any guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Autumn's road rage post: I think everything about that situation is excessive. Road rage scares me, but at the same time, if someone punches you, is shooting them out of the question if you truly do feel for your safety? Also, are you looking for a reason to shoot someone when you have a gun in your car and then put it on your lap "just in case"? I'm not saying the shooter should be put away for life, but I don't understand why charges aren't filed. Isn't it up to a jury to decide if it was excessive?
    I know, I still don't know what to think! At first I was all, OF COURSE the guy should be charged! But then reading about how the guy got off his motorcycle and approached the car, spit on him multiple times AND punched him (all while his wife and kid were in the car, right?), I don't know anymore. Couldn't he have just driven off? Aren't you only supposed to use the amount of force that's being used against you? I'm conflicted! But I also hate guns. And road ragers.

update: looks like there is justice after all (for now)

Man Who Used ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law to Defend Shooting Neighbor Over Loud Music Found Guilty of Murder

A Texas jury rejected a retired firefighter's claim that the state's stand-your-ground law gave him the right to shoot and kill an unarmed neighbor for allegedly playing loud music during a party.

Raul Rodriguez's defense attorney argued that his client is protected by the so-called Castle Doctrine because the altercation that resulted in the shooting death of 36-year-old elementary school teacher Kelly Danaher took place in the street.

"He had a right to be (in) the street," said Neal Davis. "He was not provoking anybody. He was not engaged in any criminal activity. The (stand-your-ground) law is not only for home invasions. That's why the law was changed."

Indeed, the Texas version of the controversial law allows for the use of deadly force in self-defense outside the home, but cannot be used as a shield if the person using force provoked the attack.

Prosecutors Kelli Johnson and Donna Logan maintained that Rodriguez was the aggressor when he armed himself with a gun and a camera and headed over to Danaher's home to complain about the noise.

In the footage he recorded, Rodriguez is heard telling a police dispatcher his life was in danger, but Johnson said it was Rodriguez who "lured" Danaher and two others onto the street "and threatened them by brandishing his gun."

"Raul Rodriguez is a neighborhood bully who had a CHL, an arsenal of weapons and a knowledge of the law," said Logan. "He felt he had the ultimate control, the control to decide who lives and who dies."

The jury sided with the prosecutors and voted to convict Rodriguez of murder. Sentencing will take place following additional testimony.

Houston criminal defense attorney Grant Scheiner said the Castle Doctrine might be clarified as a result of this trial — particularly "what it means to provoke someone" — but no major changes to the law should be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    I'm conflicted! But I also hate guns. And road ragers.

but...arent you an admitted road rager?