Page 50 of 114 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: so you want an ak-47: unfs gun control or lack thereof party thread

One day before the first anniversary of Sandy Hook.

American gun culture strikes again.

Yay! I was so afraid that there wouldn't be another huge school shooting this year. It would've ruined the holidays!

Seriously. When is it going to be one too many? Never? I am so fucking sick of this. Especially coupled with media not respecting Newtown's wishes this year, I just want to scream and punch anyone at this point who doesn't think we need a change and who loves to wallow in tragedy. A sane nation would fucking STOP this. We are clearly a nation of sociopaths at this point if we refuse to not even protect our children.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I thought the media was respecting the request not to swarm Newtown today.

AP is respecting the request in their own way. (Ignoring the request. Respectfully.)

Officials in Newtown, Conn., have asked the media to stay away from their town on the anniversary of the Sandy Hook shooting, but the Associated Press still plans to be there.

The Washington Post's Erik Wemple talked to Paul Colford, a spokesperson for the AP, who confirmed that the news organization is sending journalists to Newtown on Dec. 14. AP East Region Editor Karen Testa also told Wemple, “We have covered every aspect of this tragedy from the beginning. As we have from the day of the shooting, we will be sensitive to the families and the town and respectful in our coverage."

The AP has come into conflict with the people of Newtown over its coverage before. It fought town officials and victims' families for the release of 911 tapes from the shooting. Earlier this month, executive editor Kathleen Carroll defended that decision, saying that reviewing the audio recordings was "part of normal newsgathering in a responsible news organization."

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    How do those frigging people sleep at night? (I'm looking at you, Kathleen Carroll.)
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

I hate those people. Seriously hate. Money and ratings over the wishes of those who are going through hell. The fact that I've heard several networks use the word "respectful" makes my blood boil. You can't be "being respectful" when you aren't respecting a town's wishes. Sorry. It. Does. Not. Work. That. Way, you fucking pieces of shit.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Guns don't kill people. Gun laws kill people, argued Larry Pratt, head of Gun Owners of America, on Fox News Sunday.

Host Chris Wallace asked Pratt if the complete inability of Congress to pass any gun safety legislation in the year since the Newtown massacre counted as a victory for the gun lobby.

"We're not really going to be able to talk about a victory until we get rid of the laws that prohibit people from having guns to protect themselves in schools and in other places," Pratt said. "Every one of our mass murders in our country has occurred in places where guns were prohibited."

Wallace seemed a bit surprised at the answer, which was delivered after he aired an emotional interview with Carlee Soto, whose older sister Vicki was murdered while shielding her students at Sandy Hook Elementary School, ultimately saving 11 of their lives. Wallace asked Pratt if he was saying that the gun lobby planned to go on offense and press for repeal of laws currently in place.

"That is correct, Chris. The legislation that is on the books is lethal. It is killing people. All of these gun free zones are murder magnets. We've simply got to get rid of them. It's an illusion that somehow we're going to be safer in a particular area because you can't have a gun, because the bad guy is going to have a gun," he said.
    Perhaps he could content himself with standing at the edge of a gun free zone and just picking people off from there?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4448979.html

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    There was a shooting at the hospital my mom works at today. She's okay and wasn't anywhere near the gunfire, but Jesus Christ. One of her coworkers is dead.

Edit: Talking to her a bit more it sounds like she isn't sure it was her coworker that died. news is still a bit hazy going around. CNN says one fatality plus the shooter.

Reno?! My friend just finished his nursing degree there.

So sad.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

So scary. They made us go through "Active Shooter" training at my last hospital because it's the type of place that can trigger violent emotional reactions from people.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    It's fucking scary, I work at a hospital that has outside security contractors and a lot of those guys are either 20-year old dweebs or slow-moving fat guys who look like they never leave the couch unless they're going to work. I'm working in downtown Hartford CT and this is our security, with no metal detectors, NOTHING ELSE. Anyone could just walk through the front door during visiting hours with an assault rifle and easily take out at least 50 people.

I'm not saying we need metal detectors, and I would never say we need a guy a with a gun posted in every hallway because that's also scary... I'm just saying that could actually happen.

As far I know we have never had "active shooter" training. Maybe our department just wasn't invited? That would be bullshit though because I'm in patient care! So yeah, I don't even think we've had a drill for that sort of thing.

Not that I'm gonna worry about it, but if someone marched into the nursing home where I live with an AK47, they could fucking clean house. But really, this could happen almost anywhere. I'd rather not have everywhere I go turned into an armed camp, no do I want every paranoid douche walking the street to be packing.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    So scary. They made us go through "Active Shooter" training at my last hospital because it's the type of place that can trigger violent emotional reactions from people.
    We're having one tomorrow with the FBI on our last day before break. Apparently it's a "very realistic" drill. Merry Christmas and enjoy the nightmares!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

As far I know we have never had "active shooter" training. Maybe our department just wasn't invited? That would be bullshit though because I'm in patient care! So yeah, I don't even think we've had a drill for that sort of thing.
    Let me distill it for you:
    1. If you can, get out. (I was a bit annoyed because they told us to leave everything, and yet asked that we use cell phones to call 911 once safely away. Which one is it? Leave everything, or bring a cell phone?)
    2. If you can't get out, hide. Preferably behind multiple locked doors. Turn off the lights and be quiet. Eventually, once the police show up, look non-threatening. They aren't there to help you immediately, they're there to catch the shooter.
    3. If either of the two above fail, be prepared to throw shit. In the demo video they made us watch, people were chucking potted plants.

This thread just keeps getting more and more depressing.