Page 50 of 102 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: so you want an ak-47: unfs gun control or lack thereof party thread

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Gee if there had been just one good guy with a gun ... waaaiiittt. It was a military base. There goes that theory.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

^I'm confused by this. People don't walk around on bases carrying guns. From my experience, the people carrying guns are guards (police).

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It's being reported that he had been treated for hearing voices. I know it's always "too soon" to discuss gun control in the wake of all these tragedies, but maybe now there can be a serious conversation nationally about our deplorable mental health care and access.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    A lot of people are saying it's "unimaginable" and "unthinkable." NO IT'S NOT. This shit happens all the time. What's unimaginable is that we as a country don't want to (or can't!) do anything about it. If you want to be the gun country, You Shouldn't Be Surprised™.
    Yeah. Yesterday, when someone told me people had been shot in Navy Yard, I said, "That's not news. It's NAVY YARD, people get shot all the time." I hadn't realized the shooting happened on base, yet. A friend of mine is visiting San Fran, and someone offered to buy him a drink because this is DC's 9-11. Even if we discount that DC's 9-11 was probably 9-11, last spring, 13 kids were shot up on North Capitol and we had a campus shooting. DC was also home to the DC sniper, the Holocaust Museum shooting, the White House shooting, the Discovery Building hostage crisis...

edit: if you want to see something really depressing, this website documents every murder in DC.
    Last edited by uncanny hats; 09-17-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uncanny hats View Post
    someone offered to buy him a drink because this is DC's 9-11.
    Ugh. So now every time something happens it's got to be someone's 9/11? *headdesk*

Even if we discount that DC's 9-11 was probably 9-11, last spring, 13 kids were shot up on North Capitol and we had a campus shooting. DC was also home to the DC sniper, the Holocaust Museum shooting, the White House shooting, the Discovery Building hostage crisis...
    Or when a plane crashed into the fucking Pentagon - in DC - on 9-11.

Ugh, one of the victims was the neighbor of a friend of mine. I can feel myself starting to go numb on this issue, because it hurts to care so much when nothing is ever done about it.

What the Data tells us about the next mass shooting: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...hooting/69508/

There has been 17 mass shootings since Newtown: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000009

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Or when a plane crashed into the fucking Pentagon - in DC - on 9-11.
    The Pentagon is in Arlington, Virginia - although I think they have another building in DC.

Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks, posted a request that folks not bring their guns into Starbucks. As you can imagine, the gun-nuts are in meltdown mode.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Good, I hope they all boycott Starbucks. Then I'll actually go there.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    The Pentagon is in Arlington, Virginia - although I think they have another building in DC.
    You're right. We, the spouse and I, jumped betwwen the cities often enough that I forgot tjey were seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks, posted a request that folks not bring their guns into Starbucks. As you can imagine, the gun-nuts are in meltdown mode.
    I read his letter and I thought it was fair. He didn't say they were forbidden, just that they'd prefer people come into the stores unarmed. It was non-confrontational and reasonable.

It does not surprise me now that they're going nuts.

Of course they're going apeshit. Gun nuts use guns as a drug, much like fundies use God as a drug. They couldn't string together a reasonable response even if they shit out their alphabet soup.

It's batshit crazy to me that people walk around armed. I didn't even think you could do that in general, I thought a gun permit meant you could keep a gun at home or use to hunt or at a gun range, otherwise it was illegal to carry it around. I don't know why I'm just catching onto this now (other than the fact that I'm not american)