Page 98 of 113 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1693

Thread: so you want an ak-47: unfs gun control or lack thereof party thread

50+ dead now, the deadliest mass shooting in US history. Shooter was named as Stephen Paddock, 64 years old. Holy hell, you guys.

IS IT "NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO TALK ABOUT GUN CONTROL" TIME YET?

edit: Also, fuck any and all news outlets who go out of their way to explain how this isn't terrorism.
    Last edited by fluteoftheloon; 10-02-2017 at 10:58 AM.

OK. Kind of weird, but nothing idiotic. Now, someone PLEASE take away his phone before he starts tweeting stupid shit.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

The trolls on Twitter are already calling the shooter an “anti-Trump Rachel Maddow fan.” If it’s not jihadists, go with option #2. Anything to ensure we politicize a tragedy.

I'm almost at my breaking point. I really want to break up with this country. At least I feel less like a sociopath with this one because I find myself trying not to cry at work.

I don't want to argue on FB, I don't want to point fingers, I don't want to blame the NRA.... I just want to mourn the hope our country once had.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

I just don't understand the libertarian view that banning mentally ill people from having access to guns is not a viable option because it "stigmatizes them." You're damn right it does, or should do. If someone is schizophrenic, they're not capable of making decisions for themselves.

03/01/2017 03:45 pm ET
    Trump Axes Rule Meant To Keep Guns From Those With Mental Illness
    The GOP overturned a background check regulation put in place by the Obama administration.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b023018c6c6424

The Obama administration estimated the rule would have affected roughly 75,000 people annually. It went into effect on Jan. 18 but compliance wasn’t mandated till December of this year.

Earlier this month, congressional Republicans successfully voted to reverse the rule after legislation was introduced by Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Texas).

“We need to protect rights of all Americans, including individuals with disabilities,” Johnson said then, referring to Second Amendment rights.

Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Council on Disability also came out against Obama’s rule, arguing that it stereotyped people with mental illness as being violent and increased the stigma of “seeking and receiving mental health treatment.”

The New York Times editorial board, however, noted that the rule would not affect people with mental illnesses like eating disorders, but those who suffer from illnesses including psychotic disorders and schizophrenia. “Allowing them to buy guns poses an inordinate and needless risk to public safety,” the board wrote.

Trump quietly signed the reversal into law on Tuesday, and as MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow pointed out, no cameras were present.

The Islamic State claims responsibility for the attack. This will be enough to fire up the Trump about IS but more importantly, to do absolutely nothing about gun violence in America

The Las Vegas attack was carried out by a soldier of the Islamic State and he carried it out in response to calls to target states of the coalition.

Police have already denied it though. They claimed it before his identity was known and then quickly changed their story to "recent convert". Bullshit.

I have no hope left that guns will ever be properly banned, I mean if that didn't happen after the PRESIDENT was murdered (several times over, but especially in the 20th century), then little kids or people of any age really, will never matter enough either.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    We don't even know if the guy was diagnosably mentally ill so can we not tar all people receiving mental health treatment with the same brush until we have more information? Plenty of perfectly "sane" men decide to shoot people up. The shooter's brother in this case has said that he didn't know of any mental illness so I'm not sure how a regulation that doesn't apply in this case and targets poor people on benefits is relevant to actually discussing how this could have been prevented. Feels like you're just trying to rehash an old disagreement here, Nancy.

I'm pretty devastated at this, as Nevada is my home state and I feel very strongly about that. While none of my immediate family members or friends were at that country music festival, they very well could have been. These are my people. I'm watching my Facebook fill up with people I know trying to locate their loved ones who were down there, while some of the California liberals I know are gloating about how "at least it was a bunch of white Republicans".

I'm sorry, Perky.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Perky

Christ. At least 58 dead now and over 500 injured, CNN is saying. When I went to bed at 5 a.m., it was 2 confirmed dead. This is unfathomable to me that *one* person did this.

I just want to put out there that I'm a liberal Californian and I'm not gloating. People go on a lot about being numb after these things. I don't even feel that, I think I've just reached saturation point with these things. It's like I've already given up. It started around Sandy Hook and the legislation failure related to that crisis. The thing that drives me crazy is the discussion on the news about what can we do to address these incidents and the answer now is always more police, more training and more situational awareness. It's like they've given up on gun control completely and the answer is more guns.

Here's what a lawyer for CBS said on Facebook: "If they wouldn’t do anything when children were murdered I have no hope that [Republicans] will ever do the right thing. I’m actually not even sympathetic [because] country music fans often are Republican gun toters." They fired her ass pronto and, well, good.

And I have to say that I'm not really thinking in terms of gun control right now, although I do support it. I'm thinking about the rot in our country's soul.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Thank you guys.

I know we have often disagreed on gun control issues on this forum, and rest assured that while I sometimes joke about being a gun-owning redneck, I do have very...complicated? conflicting? feelings about gun violence in this country. So much of the conflict to me feels like trying to balance the fact that people I know care so much about guns that they're willing to go to prison and/or die for them rather than give them up, and attempts at gun control tend to be less about reducing the overall amount of guns (or the drug use, poverty, alcoholism, food scarcity, criminalization of drugs and toxic masculinity that fuel gun violence) and just at keeping certain undesirables from getting a hold of guns (felons, mentally ill people, etc). I'm not in denial that more guns = more shootings = more death. That's just math. Even prior to this both of my parents have had shootings while they were on the clock at their workplace, and I was less than a block from the 2011 IHOP mass shooting when it happened.

It just feels like by the time people meet to discuss this, both sides have been so poisoned - certain factions of the left thinking ingrate white trash hick Trump voters deserve what they get and that mass shootings and AK-47s are the root symptom and cause of gun deaths, certain factions of the right thinking incredibly sensible gun control measures like wait periods and fingerprint technology are the same as fascism and that dead elementary schoolers are a government false flag - that nothing can grow.

I don't know. I am having a lot of emotions this morning, thank you all for bearing with me.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    I'm pretty devastated at this, as Nevada is my home state and I feel very strongly about that. While none of my immediate family members or friends were at that country music festival, they very well could have been. These are my people. I'm watching my Facebook fill up with people I know trying to locate their loved ones who were down there, while some of the California liberals I know are gloating about how "at least it was a bunch of white Republicans".