Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat Power

Banned

Cat Power

No thread for this amazing woman? Pssssh i'm starting one with her new single:

Love it and best since You Are Free!

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    LOVE the new song! And how gorgeous is she with the short hair? I've always associated Chan with her signature fringe hairstyle. The new, short look is very becoming. Very mid-90s Liz Fraser.

Bring on the album!
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    Some things to read about the new album, which Chan performed and produced in various locations, including a studio she built in Malibu. Can't wait for Sun to be out in September!

The Stool Pigeon: Cat Power Talks Of Pride And Heartbreak At New Album "Sun"

Wow that article gets crazy when she started telling about the time she forgot who she was...

Glad she seems to be in a good place, and super excited about the new album! ! ! !

Banned
    I love the sound of the new single more everytime, I don't want to be really negative about The Greatest because although completely out of her element at the time her voice hasn't sounded better and songs like Living Proof, Willie, Hate and Love & Communication are just great. You Are Free, Dear Sir and Moon Pix are my favorites.

Love the single, cant wait for this album!!!

I'm very excited for the new album. It sounds like it'll be a return to form?

A new version of this song will be on the album:

LOVE her voice on this new single. so excited!

Quote Originally Posted by hex object View Post
    I'm very excited for the new album. It sounds like it'll be a return to form?
    I really wish because You Are Free , Myra Lee , Moopix and What The Community ... are some of my favorite albums ever ...
    The last ones , not so much

Holy shit, finally! I love Ruin. Welcome back Chan. I'm happy that she produced the album herself. And i love the short hair too.

A few live versions of Sun songs:

Cherokee:

Real Life (2002):

Real Life (2011):

Sun (?):

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    You can hear "Cherokee" now, on the NPR All Songs Considered Summer Preview podcast.

They don't let you individually listen to the track, but you can skip ahead to around 17:00 into the podcast to hear "Cherokee," which will be the first cut off of Sun. I'm loving it!

I love both "Ruin" and "Cherokee" and I'm super excited about the album. The cuts we've heard so far remind me a bit of her earlier (1996-2003) stuff - which is nice because I got bored with the Memphis soul / bluesy sounds of her two previous records and the last EP.

By the way, guys, how would you rank her albums? For me it would be something like this:

1. You Are Free
    2. Moon Pix
    3. The Covers Record
    4. What Would the Community Think
    5. The Greatest
    6. Jukebox

Basically, I love the top four records. The Greatest is quite okay as well, and it features some great songs (the title track, "Living Proof," "Lived in Bars," "Hate," "Love and Communication") but the middle part is quite bland and sounds very same-y. And Jukebox is mostly just boring.

As for Dear Sir and Myra Lee, I think I've heard each of them only once, and I don't remeber them particularly well. I probably should finally get them on CD and give them a few proper listens before I put them in my ranking. Are they worth spending money on?

Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
    As for Dear Sir and Myra Lee, I think I've heard each of them only once, and I don't remeber them particularly well. I probably should finally get them on CD and give them a few proper listens before I put them in my ranking. Are they worth spending money on?
    They are both very raw, and at times excruciating ("Not What You Want" from Myra Lee, e.g.) i find a bunch of songs from both albums rather forgettable. But the highlights ("Headlights", "Rockets, "Enough") make them worth it if you're more than a casual fan.

How about a top 10?

I Found a Reason
    Good Woman
    Metal Heart
    Silver Stallion
    The Greatest
    Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again
    I Don't Blame You
    Naked If I Want To
    Lived in Bars
    Evolution