Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat Power

I listened to the new album , I still need a really good listen with headphones but there are some really great songs on there !
    Really like what I've heard !

Banned
    So every song pretty much grabs me in someway except Silent Machine, it's like trying to be a hard song and it feels so weak after the intro. You Are Free will always be my favorite but this album is very solid!

There's so much tracks I enjoy !!!
    Cherokee
    Ruin
    Manhattan
    Human Being
    Always On My Own
    Peace & Love

Tour dates you lucky Americans.

Cat Power's album Sun is out September 4 via Matador, and today, she announced a North American tour to support the album. It includes a stop in Mexico City for the Corona Capital Music Festival.

Cat Power:

10-11 Miami, FL - Grand Central
    10-13 Mexico City, Mexico - Corona Capital Music Festival
    10-19 Montreal, Qubec - Metropolis
    10-20 Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus
    10-22 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    10-23 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
    10-24 Boston, MA - House Of Blues
    10-25 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
    10-27 Detroit, MI - Royal Oak Music Theatre
    10-28 Chicago, IL - Riviera
    11-02 Vancouver, British Columbia - Vogue Theatre
    11-03 Seattle, WA - Showbox SoDo
    11-04 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
    11-06 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
    11-08 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
    Hope she comes to the UK, it's been too long!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Love this!

The album is streaming on the Guardian and NPR.

I want it to be longer. Just a warm sound to crawl inside. Cannot wait to listen again with headphones and to hear it live in October.

I really love this record. I have to admit I never really l liked her older blues and folky stuff though. This album is really different from her earlier stuff, which to me is a good thing. It's quite poppy, accessible and electronic. I wonder though is this change in her sound controversial among her older fans?

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    I'm an old fan and the consensus among most of the other old fans I know has been extremely positive. The sound is new for her, but the songs are still so very Chan Marshall. Time will tell, but I see this one becoming a fan favorite. In many ways it reminds me of Kristin Hersh's Sunny Border Blue. Right down to the eerily similar album cover, it's poppier and more accessible than anything that came before it, and it's all the better for that.
    Last edited by The Seaward; 08-28-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'm a very casual Cat Power fan and I am really loving what I'm hearing. I had no idea what the expect, certainly not the electronic elements. I have a feeling this album is going to get a lot of play for me!

Quote Originally Posted by The Seaward View Post
    I'm an old fan and the consensus among most of the other old fans I know has been extremely positive. The sound is new for her, but the songs are still so very Chan Marshall. Time will tell, but I see this one becoming a fan favorite. In many ways it reminds me of Kristin Hersh's Sunny Border Blue. Right down to the eerily similar album cover, it's poppier and more accessible than anything that came before it, and it's all the better for that.
    Yes, I can see that. Sunny Border Blue is one of my all time favorite albums.

Banned
    This albums get better every time you listen to it, seriously!

Only mid-way into listening to the album, and I'm loving it! Very solid effort!

How is she in concert lately? I saw her in Portland years ago and she gave such a disastrous performance that I stopped listening to her. It was that bad. She actually ended songs in the middle because she didn't feel like finishing them and stopped for a 15 minute smoke break, constantly asking "Are you guys mad at me?" I walked out.
    But I saw her on PBS a couple years ago and she was amazing. Is she over her bad concert days?
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Well, she battled with a severe case of stage fright for years. That coupled with her well-documented abuse of alcohol made for disastrous concert experiences for many people/fans (and her, for that matter) for years. According to wiki:

Marshall’s live shows have been known for their unpolished nature, with songs beginning and ending abruptly or blending into one another without clear transitions. She has also cut short performances without explanation. On some occasions this has been attributed to stage fright and the influence of alcohol.

Recently, Marshall's performance style has been said to be much more enthusiastic and professional. An article in Salon called The Greatest "polished and sweetly upbeat", stating that Marshall was "delivering onstage". In the article, Marshall states that her newfound musical collaborators and sobriety are largely responsible for her increased confidence onstage.
    I know it's wiki but it's a bit of an explanation as to why that may have happened. Personally, I've never seen her live, but I do see a clear difference in quality between older and more recent performances on YouTube. I haven't read/heard of terrible performances in recent years.

But I'm sure people here who have seen her live recently can give a more informed opinion hehe.