Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169
Results 2,521 to 2,527 of 2527

Thread: Guess Who Died? (The Dead Celebrities Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    . Thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    "...the smug, self-congratulatory left." Lost me right there. Bill Maher gives voice to rationality and consistently uses his platform to decry the absurdity, hypocrisy, and political abuses wrought by religion. I'm very grateful he does what he does.
    I'm not grateful for blatant homophobia disguised as outspokenness, or for unapologetic Islamophobia presented as "caution", sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    I'm not grateful for blatant homophobia disguised as outspokenness, or for unapologetic Islamophobia presented as "caution", sorry.
    And don't forget sexist.

Blatant homophobia? I haven't seen any, care to point out an example?

As for the Islamophobia, I don't really disagree with anything he's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Blatant homophobia? I haven't seen any, care to point out an example?

As for the Islamophobia, I don't really disagree with anything he's saying.
    Oh well, as long as you don't disagree, then it's all fine, really.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Okay, I really don't care to get into some deep tet a tet on this, as I am not trying to argue that Bill Maher is a patron saint in the first place. I don't require my messengers to be saints, to appreciate their messages. Bill Maher is a provocateur, and yes, his particular style is not "nice". But why should he be nice when he's attacking religious ideas that deserve intense and unapologetic critical scrutiny?

Is he Islamophobic? Well, he's clearly biased against religion and religious thinking generally (so am I), biased against the hateful rhetoric of religions (so am I), biased against religious people not screaming out against the hatefulness coming out of their religions (so am I), and biased against the hateful aspects of religion, of which Islam clearly and definitely includes many in its core tenets. He's highly critical of Christianity, Catholicism, and all other fundamentalist types of religions too. So I would say he is Religionphobic. Religion has a pretty bad track record, you know.

I, too, am curious where you are getting homophobic. I've never seen any evidence of it. He is certainly pro gay rights, pro gay marriage, anti discrimination. Here is a relevant video on both of these topics:

https://youtu.be/N1OBnGuJw6k

Tab Hunter has died at 86.