Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179
Results 2,671 to 2,682 of 2682

Thread: Guess Who Died? (The Dead Celebrities Thread)

So many iconic album artworks.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

That one is really hard. I met Terry when the Pythons were in New York for their stage show in '76. He was a sweetheart. So smart and funny, and very appreciative of his fans.

Nevertheless, she persisted. Steve SFM's Avatar
    That's so cool. It was hard for me, too. I fucked off on the first day of hearings and watched a Python episode (The All-England Summarize Proust Contest!), two episodes of Ripping Yarns, and Life of Brian. It's important to remember, he directed ALL THREE of the main Python movies. And then, he used his comedy fame to produce shows about history, his first love. He wrote poetry and an opera. He was as close to a Renaissance man as exists these days. And he was a big part of my own cultural history.

Thanks, Terry. Rest in peace.

EYA: that linked story was great. "Two down, four to go."
    Last edited by Steve SFM; 01-25-2020 at 01:53 AM.
    In November, vote for the candidate who believes in science.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It's been a rough week or two for dead rapists and me shutting my mouth about it. For anyone else who feels similarly, there's this:

A famous actor of remarkable skill died at a very ripe old age today. Beyond his art, he's known for taking a stand that helped end the terror of the McCarthy years, & for raping a 16 yo girl, events that happened just a few yrs apart. I'm purposely not using his name because I want to make a point that goes far, far beyond that particular man.

This is what women live with. We move through a world in which great art, great wisdom, great athleticism, great social movements are all tainted with assaults on our humanity that go, at best, unremarked.

That 16 yo's humanity was less important than the actor's skill or his role in ending the blacklist. The humanity of a 19 yo hotel worker was less important than the astonishing talents of a man who recently died too young. Name a field & a few Great Men & you'll find rapists.

And everyone knows it. It's a known-known. If we were to strip our culture of everything tainted by sexual assault and abuse, we would, frankly, have very little left. We move through the world knowing our bodies and our souls are forfeit to society's need for Greatness.

So women make these bargains. Ok, he did that, but he changed. Ok he did that, but it was so long ago. Ok he did that, but the song bangs. We pick and choose the men about whom we'll ask questions, because what will be ruined, what will we lose, if we know too much?

And of course, it's not limited to Great Men - it's everywhere, among men small & middling, too. Don't tell anyone - the school needs him, the church needs him, the record label needs him, the family needs him, no one will believe you anyway, bc look at all the good he's done!

So this is to say: It's entirely possible that some of the men you deeply admire, for such good reasons, have done terrible things to women - & those women matter, too.

And also that, if you've been hurt by a Great Man (or a small or middling man) I see you, & I believe you.

I'm surprised no one here mentioned Kobi Bryant. I guess because of the rape charges.

I've thought a lot about that. I think the man raped that woman, but I do not think he is/was a rapist. After that crime, he went on to have a very successful career, gave generously to progressive causes, and declared himself a "girl mom" who pushed for female involvement in sports. Did he engage in a crime? Yeah he probably did. But I honestly feel like he lived a longer life beyond that experience that showed him to be a man of integrity and kindness.

I'll brace myself for ya'll fully differing opinions
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

James Lipton at 93.

Kathy Griffin's mom, Maggie Griffin, has passed away

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Kenny Rogers

I wasn't a fan per se, but his music is a soundtrack to my childhood. And of course, I thought of Dolly Parton!

In his final word, I found an ace that I could keep...

Uderzo.