Page 168 of 172 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 2566

Thread: Guess Who Died? (The Dead Celebrities Thread)

Bourdain was an asshole with a good heart. I always figured being an asshole was sort of his defense mechanism. It's hard to be a softy when you notice all the cruel indifference around you.

I'm actually in tears, watched his shows for many, many years. I just don't understand why he would take his life. Especially now, that he has been such a rock for Asia Argento. Total state of disbelief.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    What makes it extra hard when it's someone big in the kinds of media you follow is that you hear it and then it's just waves and waves of people all day. So there was the initial news breaking. Then the late sleepers find out. Then the central people, then the mountains. Soon the west coast people will be getting up. And then the Oceania/east Asia people who just went to bed and maybe missed it. When there's a big planned sporting event or awards show or great episode of of tv everyone's doing it at the same time so there's a big to-do all at once. Tons of tweets or posts or pictures. But something like this is just every 20 minutes someone wakes up and shares something raw and sad.

It should go without saying that the #MeToo movement is devastated. Bourdain was kind of the big brother of the movement; he would regularly (verbally) kick the shit out of people who went after his sisters. And, of course, everyone is worried about Asia. Case in point:

But this is what I love. The wonderful journalist Ana Marie Cox, who is very open about her struggles with addiction and depression, told a story of how a stranger helped her when she was in a dark place. She invited people to share their similar stories, and boy, have they. This thread has helped me feel better today.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Bourdain was an asshole with a good heart. I always figured being an asshole was sort of his defense mechanism. It's hard to be a softy when you notice all the cruel indifference around you.

I always got that feeling, too. He seemed like a good guy with an asshole coating.

Two high-profile suicides in a week where my depression has been its worst in a year is fucking a lot. I keep thinking these rich people have access to the best doctors, therapy, medication, and still it's not enough, which makes me feel hopeless in my battle where I do not have the resources or support system to fight. I know this week has to be triggering for most of us who deal with depression, so to everyone and please do whatever you are able to in order to take care of yourselves, whatever that means for you.

ETA: This is a really beautiful piece about Bourdain by Helen Rosner, if anyone's interested. The last paragraph really got me for some reason.

The last time I saw Bourdain was a few months ago, at a party in New York, for one of the books released by his imprint at the publishing house Ecco—of his many projects, his late-career role as a media rainmaker was one he assumed with an almost boyish delight. At the bar, where I’d just picked up my drink, he came up and clapped me on the shoulder. “Remember when you asked me if I was a feminist, and I was afraid to say yes?” he said, in that growling, companionable voice. “Write this down: I’m a fuckin’ feminist.”
    Last edited by just owls; 06-08-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Barack Hussein Obama

Anthony Bourdain’s 17 best Twitter burns.

Some aren't that good (I blame the selector, not Bourdain), but some are great.

I’m doing a Kickstarter to buy Ted Cruz a Fleshlight

Oh, and Morrissey said stupid trollish shit about #MeToo? This is Steve’s complete lack of surprise.

Barack Hussein Obama

Boy oh boy do I agree with this take. I'm still sad today but reading a lot of kind stories and memories and people posting random excerpts and pics is nice.

^ Amen. That was perfectly said.
    Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-24-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Amen. That was beautifully said.
    "...the smug, self-congratulatory left." Lost me right there. Bill Maher gives voice to rationality and consistently uses his platform to decry the absurdity, hypocrisy, and political abuses wrought by religion. I'm very grateful he does what he does.

^I have to agree. I have my issues with Maher, but "not willing to reach outside his liberal bubble" is just not accurate. He has been calling out far-left mob mentality for decades.

I loved it when he called out left wing bullshit, but I stopped watching him because he can't let certain issues go that make him just cranky old white guy rather than leader of the underdogs.