Page 148 of 159 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 2371

Thread: Guess Who Died? (The Dead Celebrities Thread)

. This one really hurts. I cannot think of anything appropriate to say.

I can.

THIS
    YEAR
    SUCKS.

That said, just like Bowie, he left us with a lovely parting gift.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Whaaaat???

'I'm ready my lord'
    post28!

Woke up, looked at notifications on phone and cried.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

This is just awful. Especially after this dreadful week. His personality, his lyrics, his songs... And he made music until the very last minute. And this one in particular hurts so much:

It's coming to America first,
    the cradle of the best and of the worst.
    It's here they got the range
    and the machinery for change
    and it's here they got the spiritual thirst.
    It's here the family's broken
    and it's here the lonely say
    that the heart has got to open
    in a fundamental way:
    Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

According to this, Cohen actually died on Monday. His funeral -- at the synagogue attended by several generations of his family -- was yesterday. They probably wanted privacy until after the service. Good for them.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    I am devastated and can't stop crying.

What a legend. How generous he was to us.
    Perky, I will PM you some time this weekend with an incident that occurred @ the April 2009 Vancouver show I saw that I'd like to share with you...it's a memory I will take with me to my grave.

He, Bob Dylan, and Warren Zevon are the triumvirate of the most brilliant lyricists of the last half-century IMO...and I'd say that Roger Waters(who, like Dylan, is thankfully still with us)garners an honorable mention.

LOVE,

SB

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Bork View Post
    Perky, I will PM you some time this weekend with an incident that occurred @ the April 2009 Vancouver show I saw that I'd like to share with you...it's a memory I will take with me to my grave.

He, Bob Dylan, and Warren Zevon are the triumvirate of the most brilliant lyricists of the last half-century IMO...and I'd say that Roger Waters(who, like Dylan, is thankfully still with us)garners an honorable mention.

LOVE,

SB
    Please do. I'd love to read about a wonderful Cohen memory.

Cohen's death hit me pretty hard last night. I, like I'm sure many people on this board, have a long history with his work. I discovered it at 14 years-old after hearing Tori's cover of Famous Blue Raincoat. I used to buy his CDs at Tower Records in high school. My mother gave me a gift of his poetry as a gift when I went to college. I hid a copy of Beautiful Losers under my mattress as a teen. I bought his records on vinyl through law school and played them late into the night. I saw him live and was blown away at how in his late 70's he could still imbue every song with such energy and dignity. After taking the bar exam I got a line from Beautiful Losers tattooed on my ribs.

I remember when in law school I thought I had lost my mind and checked myself into a drop-in counselor. I was terrified and wanted to crawl out of my skin and bolt out the door, but "there is a crack in everything / that's how the light gets in" was in a frame by the check-in desk and I stuck it out to get the mental health treatment I desperately needed.

I cried all evening yesterday and talked about Leonard to my long-suffering roommate. We toasted some red wine to his memory and played Songs of Love and Hate. Her father called and waxed poetic about how devastated he was, and we commiserated about how a woman in her mid-20's and a man in his late-50's could be feeling the exact same thing about the same man, and how impressive and universal Cohen's works were.

He left this world with so much grace. If you haven't read this excerpt of the New Yorker article about his friendship with Marianne, please do. He slipped out of this world with a critically-beloved album less than a month old, surrounded by loving children (by all accounts) and having been able to make a final artistic statement after nearly six decades of poetry and music. We should all be so lucky. It's hard to even be sad because he so clearly got his house in order and stepped out on his own terms.

It's like losing a friend. I'm sure so many of his other fans here can agree.

Gwen Ifill, 61

Sharon Jones.

I'm devastated. She was such a powerful soul.

Awful

Her music was very different from what I usually listen to, but I saw her perform live and she was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    Sharon Jones.

I'm devastated. She was such a powerful soul.
    Absolutely devastated by this. She was one of my favourite living performers - but 2016 seems to be the year that shrinks that list.