Page 171 of 177 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 2649

Thread: Guess Who Died? (The Dead Celebrities Thread)

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Sad tidings. Rest in peace man. Excelsior!
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

A big boy that needs to cry! ;) Crazy Don's Avatar
    America is officially up shit creek without a paddle…

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    I was literally tweaking my ebook version of it yesterday (it had bad formatting) and wondered if he was still alive.

Crap... I just checked Harry Potter and ASOIAF.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    This guy was the author of one of my favorite quotes. In reference to knowing what movies will work and/or make money, he said this: “Nobody knows anything.” You can actually expand that into all sorts of different areas. Nobody knows anything. For whatever reason, I find that comforting. And, of course, he was a great screenwriter.

Rest In Peace, good sir.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

I know sometimes people tell exaggerated stories in times like these, but I believe this

Director Bernardo Bertolucci and SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg both died yesterday at 77 (cancer) and only 57 years old (ALS), respectively.

I watch Spongebob and I'm not ashamed. The early seasons were just fantastic tv.

My sister and all my cousins grew up with Spongebob. Some of those earlier episodes still make me laugh even though they’re ridiculous. He was only diagnosed a year ago and 57 is so young.

I've always loved Spongebob. It's one of those kids' shows that is very watchable for adults as well. RIP

I'm surprised at how little coverage of I've seen of Bertolucci's death. If not for this forum I probably wouldn't have found out. He was one of the giants of Italian cinema.

Bertolucci was on the news over here yesterday, I was actually surprised nobody had mentioned him in this thread yet.

George H. W. Bush

Goddamn, I hope they don’t let Trump go to the funeral.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

I don't know if I'm in the mood for all the hot takes on this. McCain was really tough to watch because there was insanity from both sides. I'm a little extra peeved at GHWB because I just found out recently he tried to shut the Nixon investigation down. That and the gropey thing he did the last couple years AT LEAST. I did like how he became so close to Bill Clinton though. Like it says a lot that they could get past their animosity and try to better the world. He wasn't a hero or a devil, but in the middle and where in the middle depends. And all the hot takes are going to be arguing for angel or devil instead of shades of gray. It might be so dark gray it's almost black, but it's still gray.

edit: This says it better

Last edited by Regina Phalange; 12-01-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Ooh, I quite like that. And I’m a big fan of gray, especially when discussing a human being. We’re all gray, really.

I like what one of my favorite pundits, Charles P. “Charlie” Pierce, had to say.

I realized I should explain the Bush-Nixon thing since I can't be the only person who didn't know and some of the proof has just recently surfaced (as in the prosecutors heard the tapes for the first time while this podcast was created). George Beall was a US Attorney on the Nixon investigation whose brother Glenn was a sitting US Senator at the same time. His brother was pressured and in turn his brother pressured him, among others.

Bag Man

In other words, what U.S. Attorney George Beall needs to do is sit in on these “fanatical prosecutors” in his office who are taking this investigation to places we don’t want it to go.

Nixon and Haig are devising this plan, in secret, to interfere with this ongoing investigation. They then start putting this plan into action.

But the middle man they end up using-- the guy who they drag into this obstruction scheme-- ultimately isn’t Mel Laird. Who they end up using for this obstruction effort is the Chairman of the Republican National Committee at the time. A man by the name of... George Herbert Walker Bush.

The future President of the United States-- George Bush-- gets enlisted in this effort to reach out to Senator Glenn Beall to have him pressure his brother to shutdown this investigation.

Listen to this phone call between Richard Nixon and Al Haig.

The audio here is a little bit distorted, but the first voice here is Nixon and he’s talking to Haig about enemies of the White House who are now going after everybody:

NIXON: It’s amazing, isn’t it? By golly, the way they start to go after everybody, don’t they?

HAIG: Yeah, they’re after everybody. And the Vice President has been very nervous, he called me three times here.

NIXON: I know and you decided to have Harlow try to, well he’s isn’t here—

HAIG: He isn’t here, so I did it through George Bush on the first run.

NIXON: That’s good, that’s good.“I did it through George Bush on the first run.”

This didn’t ever stick to George HW Bush... maybe because these audio tapes have just been collecting dust for the last four decades. But George Bush was brought in to a potentially criminal effort organized and directed by the then-President of the United States Richard Nixon to obstruct an ongoing investigation into his Vice President.

And George Bush did it.

U.S. Attorney George Beall ended up donating his papers to Frostburg State University in Maryland. And if you go to those archives, you can now see an official “memo-to-file” that U.S. Attorney George Beall wrote that Summer of 1973. In that memo to file, it is made quite clear that after the White House came up with this plan, George H.W. Bush did, in fact, contact U.S. Senator Glenn Beall and he tried to have Senator Glenn Beall get word to his little brother the U.S. Attorney about this investigation.

This is what he wrote in the file: “With respect to conversations with my brother Glenn, the discussions were most superficial and very guarded. He occasionally mentioned to me the names of persons who had been to see him or who had called him with respect to [this] investigation. Names of persons that I remember him telling me about included Vice President Agnew ... and George Bush.”

Now, there are a few amazing things here.

First, of course, is that a future U.S. President participated in what was likely a criminal scheme to obstruct justice.

Pete Shelley of The Buzzcocks.

One of the founding fathers of punk-pop.

This is what you need to know.