Page 2 of 161 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess Who Died? (The Dead Celebrities Thread)

^I'll need to put on American Splendor this week in honor. Such a great guy for being REAL and tell it from his point of view.

George Steinbrenner, owner of the Yankees.

Icon15

Friends remember Luna Vachon
    By JON WALDMAN -- SLAM! Wrestling

The wrestling world was dealt yet another blow Friday as the news spread of Gertrude "Luna" Vachon's passing. Just 48 years old, Luna was one of the most memorable performers in recent history.

The friends that she made in the wrestling industry began paying tribute to her as word began to spread.

Among those paying tribute was Brian Heffron, better known to fans as The Blue Meanie, on Facebook. "She was like a den mother when I first went to the WWF. She read me the list of do's and do not's. She was tough but gentle all at the same time. This one hurts."

Mick Foley reflected on Vachon as well, sharing insights about his and his family's relationship with her in a phone interview with SLAM! Wrestling.

"I'm heartbroken," Foley said. "I just had a very nice, long talk with Luna about a month ago and after hearing about her passing, I've been thinking about how good she was to my kids and how much I'll miss hearing that voice."

Kevin Sullivan reflected on his time working with Luna in an email. "I am saddened to hear of the passing of Luna Vachon," he wrote. "Not only was she a fantastic performer, but I was lucky enough to consider her a dear friend and I will miss her greatly. Luna was an integral part of my career and I would not have succeeded without her. We have lost a great performer and an even greater person. My condolences go out to her family and to her friends."

As word began to pass around the Twitterverse of Luna's passing, current and past superstars shared their thoughts.

"Rip- Luna Vachon...you were loved by many. My heart goes out to you," said Calgary's Nattie Neidhart. "I'm just so saddened- my heart goes out to Luna Vachon and her whole family. She will be missed and always remembered."

"RIP Luna! Your intensity in the ring was matched by your kindness in the locker room," said Christopher Daniels on his Twitter account.

Tommy Dreamer, who worked with Luna in his early days, reflected on their time in the business together. "Luna was the 1st Queen of Extreme. My 1st manager. Luna passed away on the night of 2 moons. Pretty unique just like her. Strong woman."

Daffney, in her post, recalled looking up to Luna as she trained for her own career in wrestling. "Watched hours of Luna while learning the art of Women's Wrestling. What an influence. And she was so kind to me. I'll never forget that," she said.

Lisa "The Adjuster" Haynes was one of those influenced by Vachon. It was Vachon who gave Haynes her first pair of wrestling boots.

"She was very good as far as training and that sort of thing. She had a very good persona and she was able to easily express the good vs evil type values that was very important in wrestling in order to get your message across. Her ring psychology was important," said Haynes, adding that she was "diabolical in the ring, but a nice person outside of it."

In her autobiography, Lita (Amy Dumas) addressed Luna's role in her career as well. "Luna was a definite inspiration for me -- she had a wild look and was a genuinely tough female wrestler," she wrote. "The two of us hit it off immediately. Luna had a reputation for being kind of crazy, but I found her to be as sweet as could be. We chatted a bit and actually corresponded for a while, writing letters back and forth. She was always very encouraging, telling me to stay true to myself as far as refining my wrestling persona."

I was a big wrestling fan as a kid and Luna was one of the most memorable ones. She made a lot of progress as a woman working in the industry. RIP!

I was really saddened to hear about Luna's passing. Growing up, I was huge into women's wrestling. I actually tuned into Raw/Smackdown just for the women. Luna's feud with Sable was one of my absolute favorites. Looking back, she really did push boundaries for the image of a female wrestler. She showed that a female wrestler didn't have to be a sex object. It's a pity that there are less women like Luna currently involved in the business. That was a nice little tribute article, and I'm glad people recognize magnitude of the loss. So sad that she had her house burn down shortly before this, losing all of her memorabilia from her career My thoughts are with her family and friends.

Publicist: Zsa Zsa Gabor 'unresponsive,' rushed to hospital

Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor was rushed to the hospital after her husband found her "unresponsive" Tuesday morning, her publicist told CNN.

John Blanchette, a spokesman for Gabor's husband Prince Frederic Von Anhalt said his wife was being taken to UCLA Medical Center.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/31...-unresponsive/

Oh dear. A sad day. Actor Glenn Shadix has passed away at the age of 58.

Glenn was in several of my favorite films of all-time...Beetlejuice, Heathers and The Nightmare Before Christmas. According to Glenn's sister, "...he was having mobility problems, and he was in a wheelchair," Susan Gagne, Shadix's sister, said. "It looks like he fell and hit his head in the kitchen, and that's the cause of death."
    RIP, Glenn.

ETA:

Glenn Shadix is an actor made famous by roles in movies such as Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas and the 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes. His television work includes the HBO drama Carnivale, and the NBC television comedy Seinfeld, in which he played Jerry’s landlord.

What many people do not know, however, is that Shadix had undergone shock therapy as a teenager in Alabama, in an attempt to turn from gay-to-straight. The “cure” did not work and today Shadix lives as a proud openly gay man. Having lived in New York City and Hollywood, he recently returned to Alabama. Truth Wins Out applauds Shadix for his willingness to share his experience and help other people avoid the pain and suffering of the ex-gay industry."
    Fucking awful.

Last edited by Barbarella; 09-08-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Wow, shock therapy? That's horrible! I'm glad he was able to overcome that and be proud and happy about who is he. I loved him as Otho, what a great part in a great movie. RIP.

And of course, he was also memorable as the funeral minister in Heathers.

I just recently found out about the electroshock thing and saw that video. What a brave guy. It sounds like he had a very interesting life in general.

Rest in peace, Glenn. You done good.

Anyone remember the pop band LFO? You know, the guys who like girls that wear Abercrombie & Fitch.

Rich Cronin, the lead singer, died of a stroke today after a pretty tough battle with leukemia; he was 35.

^Aw, that's really tragic. He was so young. Thoughts go out to his family, friends, and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Anyone remember the pop band LFO? You know, the guys who like girls that wear Abercrombie & Fitch.

Rich Cronin, the lead singer, died of a stroke today after a pretty tough battle with leukemia; he was 35.
    Wow. That was a shock to read.

it's late where you live.
    Listening to "Summer Girls" would give anybody leukemia.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    what a shock, indeed! i was just singing "summer girls" tonight with some friends, taking a stroll down 90s pop lane...

I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLuna View Post
    You're going to hell.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLuna View Post
    I don't want to laugh, but I can't help it.

I can attest that this is TRUEFAX.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.